• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Cell Phones, Wi-Fi Allowed In Small W.Va. Town

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
GREEN BANK, W.Va. (KDKA) — Would you believe there’s a place where no one can use a cell phone? Where Wi-Fi is not allowed? Where even finding a radio station can be a difficult task?There’s a town in West Virginia a few hours to south of Pittsburgh where all that is true.
Green Bank is a place where you can hear nature. Where you can hear yourself think. And that’s because some very important listening is going on.
No Cell Phones, Wi-Fi Allowed In Small W.Va. Town « CBS Pittsburgh

The family tree's are straight lines and the banjo is played daily down at Dave's brother uncle cousins shop when his sister mom isn't too busy with your father uncle.

The family tree's are straight lines and the banjo is played daily down at Dave's brother uncle cousins shop when his sister mom isn't too busy with your father uncle.

Green Bank is a place where you can hear nature. Where you can hear yourself think. And that’s because some very important listening is going on.

You see, Green Bank is home to the largest moveable radio telescope in the world.

“For people in the immediate area of the telescope, we really need the quiet,” said Jay Lockman from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.

They’re trying to pick up very faint signals from outer space, so people in this small town can’t have some of today’s modern conveniences.

Actually it's just home to a very high tech piece of science, not some backwards community...

rif1.png

When I was 14, a friend and I backpacked the Monongaheia Nation Forest, which is just east of this town. He had an Uncle that moved to Elkins in the late '60s, so we went for a visit and a backpacking trip. Beautiful country, but very backwoods, and very overgrown with everything. A nature lovers paradise.

So they had to throw away the one flip phone and the rabbit ears?

humor is fundemental.
WV Town bans all cell and wifi...

WV... No tech...

Made a joke.

Totally over your head.

:3oops:

I've seen far too much of the "I only read the headline and not the article." threads started here. Forgive me for my pessimism...

We shouldn't make fun of them. After the apocalypse they will probably be the only gene pool left! :shock:

There are times when I wished I lived in a town like that. :lol:

You already live in Arizona. You can't get much more backwards than that.

I wonder if the police chief drives around with a computer looking for wifi routers.

I do find it interesting that many of the same people get their panties all full sand when someone makes a negative generalisation about black, gay, Muslim or Latino groups. Are the first to make negative generalisations about Caucasian folks from a state and see nothing wrong with it.

That falls in the National Radio Quiet Zone, it isn't exactly something that people who lived there decided to do, it's a federal radio-free area, kept clear so the radio telescopes there can operate unhindered.

Also, there are those who don't believe their bodies do so well around electronics. I'm not saying their claims are anything more than psychological, but they exist and in numbers. I'd heard there are towns that cater to those folks.

We should park one on the far side of the moon.

Which would be great if we didn't gut our space program. I completely agree.

Back
Top Bottom