• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NM Abolished Civil Forfeiture, Cops Continue to Seize Cars without Charging Owners

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Re: NM Abolished Civil Forfeiture, Cops Continue to Seize Cars without Charging Owner

Police refuse to follow the law, then whine when people don't respect them. Oy vey, talk about a serious disconnect!

Thread title abbreviated to fit

So government said "Hey, don't steal in this one case" and government said "Piss off!"

Interesting. We'll see if they are held to the law or not (I'd hazard to guess the latter).

Re: NM Abolished Civil Forfeiture, Cops Continue to Seize Cars without Charging Owner

To be fair, part of their wages come from those now illegal seizures.... so there is motivation there.

To be fair, part of their wages come from those now illegal seizures.... so there is motivation there.
Oh, I see the motivations, too. Common criminal bank robbers are motivated by the money, too. Motivation does not justify breaking the law.

Police refuse to follow the law, then whine when people don't respect them. Oy vey, talk about a serious disconnect!

Thread title abbreviated to fit

How is impounding a car in conjunction with a DWI or driving uninsured arrest not compiying? The article title says seizing without crimiinal charge but impounding in conjuntion with a DWI or driving uninsured arrest does involve a criminal charge. Impounding (towing and storing) a vehicle does not revoke title (allowing sale).

Oh, I see the motivations, too. Common criminal bank robbers are motivated by the money, too. Motivation does not justify breaking the law.

I dont disagree, but who exactly is going to arrest them? Also who is going to make up the lack of funds for police departments?

Listen I absolutely hate this ability by US police forces.. it should be banned federally and the police funded 100% by taxes...and not be equipped with military weapons.. but in this case it is poor planning... guess the Police can start working after the rules.. no overtime..less cops on the street.. and so on :)

How is impounding a car in conjunction with a DWI or driving uninsured arrest not compiying? The article title says seizing without crimiinal charge but impounding in conjuntion with a DWI or driving uninsured arrest does involve a criminal charge. Impounding (towing and storing) a vehicle does not revoke title (allowing sale).
I think because the owner of the property only has 10 days to file to retain their property.
Meanwhile, to forfeit property, Albuquerque need only show probable cause—the same low standard used to obtain a warrant. In DWI cases,
car owners must file a request within ten days after receiving notice.
Requesting hearings costs $50, while seized property can accrue $10 storage fees per day.
The government is assuming ownership, before conviction, and placing the burden to retain ownership on the property owner.

I think because the owner of the property only has 10 days to file to retain their property.

The government is assuming ownership, before conviction, and placing the burden to retain ownership on the property owner.

Perhaps, but still a poorly written article.

Perhaps, but still a poorly written article.
No matter how poorly written, Civil Forfeiture still amounts to people being deprived of their property
without due process, or being found guilty of anything.

Back
Top Bottom