• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NK agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit[W:153]

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
North Korea agrees to ?complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit | Fox News

President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a document on Tuesday stating that Pyongyang would work toward "complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula"— a historic concession, which was one of the requirements the U.S. sought at the summit in Singapore.

The historic agreement came after the two leaders held several meetings throughout the day. Trump was asked by a reporter if Kim agreed to denuclearize and he said, “We are starting that process very quickly.”

“We will continue with our current military posture until we receive updated guidance from the Department of Defense and/or Indo-Pacific Command,” Carroll said.

Trump appeared optimistic at a press conference after Kim had left the island.

Trump told reporters that the remains of U.S. prisoners of war and those missing in action during the Korean War will also be returned.

Trump said he asked Kim to commit to returning the remains "and we got it."

The president said he has received "countless calls" and letters from family members asking him to help them receive the remains of their loved ones.

A reporter asked Trump if he would be willing to invite Kim to the White House and he responded, “Absolutely I would.”

It appears history is being made. For the first time a sitting US president met with the leader of NK and at this time there appears to be promising results and a focus on peace. I don't think we should make major judgements until it's proven that NK has denuclearized, but even so this is a major feat in US diplomacy and a step towards peace in a decades long conflict.

Re: North Korea agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit

If this is true, then that's great news. We'll see if they follow through.

Re: North Korea agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit

That's my take on it too. I think it's an historic achievement, but I reserve any judgement of making progress until real results happen.

I applaud President Trump on meeting with Kim Jong Un in trying to bring peace to the Korean penninsulia.

That being said, I'm not sold on North Korea's intentions. They're the ultimate bad faith negotiators, and we shouldn't assume things will play out just fine. It's not the first time they've made promises they have no intention of keeping.

Still, hopefully this is progress.

That's my take on it too. I think it's an historic achievement, but I reserve any judgement of making progress until real results happen.

exactly you can't really trust that guy. NK leader is a nut job and i seriously doubt he is going to give up that much power.
the first thing would be getting back our people and POW's. how there are still POW's in NK goes to show a massive problem that
we wouldn't get them before.

Hopefully some of them are still alive but i figure most of them are dead under the years and years of abuse and torture.

The US and N.Korea signed an identical document in 1993 under Clinton.

But hey, the murderous tyrant Kim has been treated like a rock star in the past few days, so it's a win for him.

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier thread.

Watching Kim Jong-un moseying around Singapore, being cheered and applauded like some kind of celebrity is beyond disturbing. How quickly people forget that this man is the leader of a regime that has well documented and long records of shocking human rights abuses. Just shocking.

I welcome any positive breakthroughs that may arise from the meeting that involve progress towards denuclearisation but I do not support turning a blind eye to the suffering he is inflicting on his own people.

And who would have ever thought that Donald Trump would've done this?

Haven't heard much on it yet but if th OP is accurate, then we are well on the way to a historic achievement

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Watching Kim Jong-un moseying around Singapore, being cheered and applauded like some kind of celebrity is beyond disturbing. How quickly people forget that this man is the leader of a regime that has well documented and long records of shocking human rights abuses. Just shocking.

I welcome any positive breakthroughs that may arise from the meeting that involve progress towards denuclearisation but I do not support turning a blind eye to the suffering he is inflicting on his own people.

Agreed. I heard Trump say that he learned that Kim really loves his country. Uh huh -- sure he does.

North Korea agrees to ?complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit | Fox News

It appears history is being made. For the first time a sitting US president met with the leader of NK and at this time there appears to be promising results and a focus on peace. I don't think we should make major judgements until it's proven that NK has denuclearized, but even so this is a major feat in US diplomacy and a step towards peace in a decades long conflict.

It's good news for sure, one less crackpot nation with nukes. Hopefully there is follow through and we can prove it. Though this is Under we're talking about here, so I don't necessarily trust what he says.

They still don't. Hell, they'll figure some way to say we lost. Or, that Trump blew it....they can't stand any success from him, or for America

Deal making requires parties to butter each other up. Who knows what Un has said about Trump? Maybe that Trump knows his way around a set of chopsticks? Similar type of nebulous statement(s) like the ones you've taken offense that Trump or someone else has uttered.

Last edited:

This agreement includes no specific dates, no specific timetable, and no specific agreements on verification or on the arrival of inspectors.

Donald Trump said in his press conference that he wasn’t able to get that detail. That is an extraordinary concession. It proves that for all of his much-vaunted negotiating prowess he hasn’t be able to solidify something that most sober-minded observers would say is essential.

Taking the agreement to the Senate better be done as soon as he gets back.

Haven't heard much on it yet but if th OP is accurate, then we are well on the way to a historic achievement

It's absolutely hilarious the hypocrisy surrounding this whole DPRK thing. Iran not only signed some document committing to a program that prevents them from coming close to nuclear weapons - they actually did it. Yet somehow that was a bad deal. Trump flies over to meet with a tin pot dictator who signs a meaningless letter saying he'll "commit" to denuclearlization - after their nuclear facility collapsed, of course - and it's a "historic achievement" despite this happening in the past already. Meanwhile every single conservative in this thread were rabid when Obama mentioned that he might speak with Kim.

Given the history, that's a rational conclusion.

The US and N.Korea signed an identical document in 1993 under Clinton.

But hey, the murderous tyrant Kim has been treated like a rock star in the past few days, so it's a win for him.

Different KIM, right?

This agreement includes no specific dates, no specific timetable, and no specific agreements on verification or on the arrival of inspectors.

Donald Trump said in his press conference that he wasn’t able to get that detail. That is an extraordinary concession. It proves that for all of his much-vaunted negotiating prowess he hasn’t be able to solidify something that most sober-minded observers would say is essential.

In this whole thing the DPRK got:
1. Recognition on the world stage by meeting with a leader of one of the most powerful countries on earth
2. A commitment by the US to stop war games with ROK
3. A free trip to Singapore

All for signing a piece of paper with no consequences or meaning.

I also dont think we should deflect from the fact that Kim is a monster guilty of some of the worst human rights atrocities on earth. I had major problems with the media glorifying him and his sister during the Olympics. Hopefully peace talks and denuclearization pave the way to addressing human rights abuses

Different KIM, right?

That and I'm not sure (correct if wrong) but I don't believe the world community was placing strict and devastating economic sanctions on N.Korea in 1993.

It's absolutely hilarious the hypocrisy surrounding this whole DPRK thing. Iran not only signed some document committing to a program that prevents them from coming close to nuclear weapons - they actually did it. Yet somehow that was a bad deal. Trump flies over to meet with a tin pot dictator who signs a meaningless letter saying he'll "commit" to denuclearlization - after their nuclear facility collapsed, of course - and it's a "historic achievement" despite this happening in the past already. Meanwhile every single conservative in this thread were rabid when Obama mentioned that he might speak with Kim.

Yeah it's pretty weird especially in the context of the JCPOA. As I've stated before, celebrating makes sense if what results from this meeting is a concrete treaty clearly outlining the steps to denuclearization, timetables, and level of transparency. I'm always cautious of these types of deals with regimes like North Korea and have been equally skeptical of Iran. The question is how much can be agreed to without going to war.

Read the joint statement of the DPRK and the United States from June 11, 1993.

He hasn't done anything. This isn't the first time the DPRK has agreed to continue talking about working towards these goals maybe in the future.

You must not have heard Trump's remarks in the press conference after the meeting. This denuclearizing takes time; it will be accomplished as quickly as is "mechanically and physically" possible! ;)

Back
Top Bottom