• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NK agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit[W:153]

Re: North Korea agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit

sarcasm doesn't do well in written words.........I needed to add more emojis?

No I got it, which is why I added an emoji.

Re: North Korea agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit

Well I don't really want to be BFF with NK, they still have other abhorrent track records with human rights and Un keeps his people in the dark. But it is a good thing if this is for real and Un does destroy any nuclear weapon and nuclear weapon producing capabilities. I don't know if there's any timeline, it didn't look like there was. It didn't seem there was much actually to this agreement other than Un saying he was going to do it (which isn't worth much in my book). But if it does happen, it's a good thing.

I'm curious as to China's future reactions to any kind of talks of Korean penninsula unification talks. NK has been the buffer they wanted against encroaching democracy on their borders.

The Democrats need to pull no punches here and obstruct this the same way Repugnacins obstructed the Iran deal. Democrats never get rewarded for behaving well and centrist and independent morons just day "durrr both sides do it" anyway so we might as well blow this the heck up.

America can't afford to hand any political victories to a brazenly racist and sexist pig who is trying to destroy our democratic institutions.

There is nothing to obstruct here, no one is doing anything differently, it was all just a show for both dear Leaders. If Trump unilaterally starts pulling troops without any quid pro quo, I sure as hell hope the GOPhers in Congress finally do their duty and remove the imbecile.

It's absolutely hilarious the hypocrisy surrounding this whole DPRK thing. Iran not only signed some document committing to a program that prevents them from coming close to nuclear weapons - they actually did it. Yet somehow that was a bad deal. Trump flies over to meet with a tin pot dictator who signs a meaningless letter saying he'll "commit" to denuclearlization - after their nuclear facility collapsed, of course - and it's a "historic achievement" despite this happening in the past already. Meanwhile every single conservative in this thread were rabid when Obama mentioned that he might speak with Kim.

Iran never signed it.

I was actually thinking the irony is that so many people were gung-ho to take Iran at their word, but immediately dismiss this.

You see, whatever hypocrisy you wish to point out on one side, the other side does the same thing in the other direction. Every. Single. Time. There are no exceptions.

Yeah they also agreed before that they would stop their nuclear program. I'm glad you just out of the blue all of a sudden believe the NK leader.

We have no reason not to believe him. He has been very honest and accommodating.

Um, that's not what happened.

Trump rushed into the summit without any road map for what could realistically be obtained from North Korea. He was head over heals for something to be signed, even if it was a technical nothingburger, and that's exactly what we got.

For all the conservative criticism of the Iran deal, this deal is comedic in how underwhelming it is.

In fairness, we'll have to wait for an actual treaty/agreement to compare apples to apples. Actually, it will have to be a treaty because some were complaining about the JCPOA as not being a deal the American people agreed to since it wasn't ratified. At this stage I think what comes out of the Panmunjom Declaration will be more interesting in this regard; it's the South Koreans who will have the bigger task ahead of them in outlining what denuclearization means on the peninsula as well as US troop presence and THAAD.

The key to this agreement will be Verification.
The sanctions need to stay in place until we see
actual progress.

Really amazing what has happened over the last 24 hours.
Just months ago we were told Trump was taking us into a
nuclear war situation.

We have no reason not to believe him. He has been very honest and accommodating.

You Trump supporters have gone so far off the rails you're calling Kim Jong Un "very honest" and accommodating. Jesus there really is no level you won't sink to.

In fairness, we'll have to wait for an actual treaty/agreement to compare apples to apples. Actually, it will have to be a treaty because some were complaining about the JCPOA as not being a deal the American people agreed to since it wasn't ratified. At this stage I think what comes out of the Panmunjom Declaration will be more interesting in this regard; it's the South Koreans who will have the bigger task ahead of them in outlining what denuclearization means on the peninsula as well as US troop presence and THAAD.

Yes, for it to hold any weight, it has to be an actual treaty with Senate approval.

Agreed. I heard Trump say that he learned that Kim really loves his country. Uh huh -- sure he does.

You doubt that Kim Jong-in loves his country???

Iran never signed it.

I was actually thinking the irony is that so many people were gung-ho to take Iran at their word, but immediately dismiss this.

You see, whatever hypocrisy you wish to point out on one side, the other side does the same thing in the other direction. Every. Single. Time. There are no exceptions.

No they did not, and the reasons for it are equally shaky. The only thing that saved the JCPOA was that Iran was allowing for inspections of the sites listed in the framework which the IAEA identified as being suitable to determine whether or not Iran was being compliant. The JCPOA was the only way the signatories felt they had a chance of prolonging Iran developing weapons at an accelerated rate; it was by no means an ideal situation in the context a legally binding document. The alternative was an Iran well on its way to nuclear weapons in spite of the sanctions that were in place. The hardliners are more concerned about leverage against the US and Israel than they are with Iranian citizens suffering due to hard sanctions.

Um, that's not what happened.

Trump rushed into the summit without any road map for what could realistically be obtained from North Korea. He was head over heals for something to be signed, even if it was a technical nothingburger, and that's exactly what we got.

For all the conservative criticism of the Iran deal, this deal is comedic in how underwhelming it is.
How in the hell do you know this??

The truth is you haven't got the foggiest idea what the preparations were for this meeting or what the expectation was and you're parroting the words of naysayers.

The truth is you haven't got the foggiest idea what the preparations were for this meeting or what the expectation was and you're parroting the words of naysayers.

Because something like this would take a year or two of negotiations, assuming it was even possible (which it wasn't).

It's called watching the god damn news, try it sometime, would you please?

The truth is that Trump was very invested in having some kind of a show with North Korea, no matter how much was give-up politically in the process - which was a lot.

The key to this agreement will be Verification.
The sanctions need to stay in place until we see
actual progress.

Really amazing what has happened over the last 24 hours.
Just months ago we were told Trump was taking us into a
nuclear war situation.

OK, but if (when?) China and/or Russia decide that abiding by NK sanctions is causing them problems and ease up some then what will Trump do about that? NK just got the military option and stiffer sanctions taken off the table simply by having a photo op with Trump and making promises to talk about (eventual?) denuclearization some more later.

Iran never signed it.

lol, okay Harshaw. There's no hypocrisy here considering that Iran was fully compliant with JCPOA but if you want to make some dumb argument that's irrelevant to the point then good for you.

He literally said out loud that he wasn't doing prep.

Well there is what Trump said about his preparations...

Trump said:
"I don't think I have to prepare very much. It's about attitude."

But you're right, we don't know if he was up late at night reading about North Korea and Kim Jong-un. Where that assumption becomes suspect is his dislike for detailed meetings which are information heavy; he's always had an aversion to that kind of thing. He does excel as being a set up man; you know the type right? He shows up for a meeting, shakes hands, complements people, then leaves his team to do the rest. That's my take on what this was.

OK, but if (when?) China and/or Russia decide that abiding by NK sanctions is causing them problems and ease up some then what will Trump do about that? NK just got the military option and stiffer sanctions taken off the table simply by having a photo op with Trump and making promises to talk about (eventual?) denuclearization some more later.

The US will continue to do what they have for the last months.
China has been an important partner in putting pressure on NK.
There is a good chance that NK can be nuclear free. China wants
that and not a war between the Korea's.

Saying somebody else has agreed to something isn’t the same as having an official, signed-agreement and then anything agreed on ever happening. We know next to nothing and what we have heard so far may not be the same as what will end-up in writing, if and when it ever does. So far, the facts are that Kim has his nuclear weapons and that brought about what he wanted, a meeting with the POTUS for all the world to see which, in effect, recognizes NK as a world nuclear power.

North Korea “agreed” and signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty but would not agree to the safeguards agreement, which allows inspections, until all US nuclear arms were removed from SK. The US eventually did so, unilaterally, under GHW Bush and SK signed an agreement to never have nuclear armament in SK.

Now, NK has nuclear ICBMs on the Korean peninsula and we don’t. We kept our end of the deal and they did not. The same with signed agreements under Clinton and Obama, and verbal agreements under G W Bush.

Way too early to say much of anything about what will happen or assign any meaning to what has happened, given what we hear did happen.

You doubt that Kim Jong-in loves his country???

I don't doubt that he loves having power over his country.

I have mixed emotions. On the one hand, diplomacy is good. On the other hand, Kim and NK is a prison state with massive human rights violations. And legitimizing him looks bad. Given NKs history this could very well just be a ego game for Kim, and he'll go back and use it to further enslave people. I dont know how much of a threat to the US or our allies NKs nukes are, though. Maybe its a higher priority than a possible land threat to South Korea, or the millions of people being hurt in NK.

I agree with you. Trump was the worst person to lead the US in such a summit. I an not sure what the US got out of this. NK got a lot, and we got a signed document they will commit to denuclearization. Trump poured compliments and praise on Kim Young Un. Trump has said nothing condemning his human rights abuses. Instead Trump calls him talented, strong young leader, etc. Trump has put way too much faith and trust in the NK leader, and tries to tempt him with wealth and beach side real estate.

I will be shocked if NK actually does denuclearized, because they clearly won this round already. The war games have ended in NK, and so has the threat of nuclear war for now.

Because something like this would take a year or two of negotiations, assuming it was even possible (which it wasn't).

And you know the timetable... how? Through your many years of diplomatic experience or is this just what you heard from your favorite talking head?

Because he is a dictator and LIES? But hey, you obviously believe the serial liar Trump, so gullibility is not out of your realm.

It is both amusing and a little sad to see all the born-again Cold Warriors emerge to criticize Trump. If Obama had done this the shouts of "Hosanna!" would be deafening. I have no idea how this will turn out, but I can tell you more conventional approaches failed for decades so I'm unwilling to rule out the possibility that an unconventional effort might bear fruit. It would be satisfying to see a US President receive a Nobel Peace Prize he actually earned.

Back
Top Bottom