• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nine-Year-Old Boy Asks Buttigieg Advice on Coming Out as Gay

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Pete Buttigieg welcomed a nine-year-old boy on stage at a rally in Denver, Colorado, on Saturday night after the young boy asked the Democratic presidential candidate for help coming out as gay.
“Would you help me tell the world I’m gay too,” the boy wrote in a pre-submitted question that was read to Buttigieg. “I want to be brave like you.”

Am I wrong to find this disturbing? I am gay and I was in my twenties before I had that figured out. I even dated girls in college. How is it a prepubescent child would have any notion of their sexual orientation? Most kids this age are more interested in Roblox and Fortnite than sexual preferences. I know this was probably just a political stunt but it seems creepy to me. It certainly won't help with the classic image that gays are all secret pedophiles who want to lower the age of consent so they can molest young boys.

Am I wrong to find this disturbing? I am gay and I was in my twenties before I had that figured out. I even dated girls in college. How is it a prepubescent child would have any notion of their sexual orientation? Most kids this age are more interested in Roblox and Fortnite than sexual preferences. I know this was probably just a political stunt but it seems creepy to me. It certainly won't help with the classic image that gays are all secret pedophiles who want to lower the age of consent so they can molest young boys.

I would hope Pete would keep his mouth shut to a 9 year old kid.

9 year olds are unformed, they are incomplete work, no one serous takes them seriously.

What parents of a 9 year old who comes to them with a very personal question about his sexuality wouldn't encourage their child to write it down on a notecard and discuss it with a complete stranger on national tv instead?

I dont find it hard to believe that a 9 year old may very well know they are gay. Children start mimicking relationships as young as 5, finding others attractive even at those young ages, without any thoughts about sex at all. It is adults who link sexuality to sexual activity. My son had a girl friend in 2nd/3rd grade. I had a boyfriend in 1st grade and crushes on two boys in 4th grade (8/9 years old). If heterosexual children can know who they are attracted to at those young ages, why is it so hard to believe that homosexual children can too?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

What parent of a 9 year old who comes to them with a very personal question about his sexuality wouldn't encourage their child to write it down on a notecard and discuss it with a complete stranger on national tv instead?

Look at Greta's parents and then ask again.

How is it a prepubescent child would have any notion of their sexual orientation?

I dont find it hard to believe that a 9 year old may very well know they are gay. Children start mimicking relationships as young as 5, finding others attractive even at those young ages, without any thoughts about sex at all. It is adults who link sexuality to sexual activity. My son had a girl friend in 2nd/3rd grade. I had a boyfriend in 1st grade and crushes on two boys in 4th grade (8/9 years old). If heterosexual children can know who they are attracted to at those young ages, why is it so hard to believe that homosexual children can too?

^^^ This ^^^

I recall having (in fact, sexual) attraction at age 7 and I knew genders by then too.

What the ****? How did you get from coming out of the closet to pedophilia? I knew I wasn't straight by the time I was nine. I didn't know the words to describe myself. I hid it like every single one of us did and I didn't really act on it for several years after that, but I had a pretty well developed sense of my sexual orientation.

Still harping on about Greta. Really? Grow up you infant.

I know that she is over, but the illustration of how far we are into this Dark Age is instructive.

We have to do better than this!

I hate when trolls quote me.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

At 9 I may have experimented in the innocent playing doctor sense with other boys, not anything as nearly sophisticated as a sexual attraction to boys or girls. I didn't develop a sexual attraction to another boy until I was 13 and well into puberty. It wasn't until my twenties before I realized I had very little in the way of sexual attraction to women. This notion that a prepubescent child could have this figured out seems insane to me.

At 9 I may have experimented in the innocent playing doctor sense with other boys, not anything as nearly sophisticated as a sexual attraction to boys or girls. I didn't develop a sexual attraction to another boy until I was 13 and well into puberty. It wasn't until my twenties before I realized I had very little in the way of sexual attraction to women. This notion that a prepubescent child could have this figured out seems insane to me.

And yet look how many people pretend otherwise....I had enough of this as I watched Slick Willy pretend that a kid of about 9 had all of the answers on Nuclear Disarmament on national TV.

I mean come on...there is such a thing as going too far in inclusiveness!

Everything becomes toxic at some point.

Neither Buttigieg nor the child said a single word about sexual attraction and it's weird that you went there. As I said, I did have physical attraction to girls and boys by the time I was nine.

Neither Buttigieg nor the child said a single word about sexual attraction and it's weird that you went there.

Oh for ****s sake! What does the child mean when he says he is gay then? Gay is a sexual orientation. Sexual orientation refers to sexual attraction.

“Well, I don’t think you need a lot of advice from me,” Buttigieg told Zachary. “You seem pretty strong to me. It took me a long time to figure out how to tell even my best friend that I was gay.”

“It won’t always be easy, but that’s OK because you know who you are,” Buttigieg told Zachary. “And that’s really important because when you know who you are, you have a center of gravity that can hold you together when all kinds of chaos is happening around you.”

Buttigieg also lauded Zachary’s courage, telling him others might decide “they can be a little braver because you have been brave.”

He added: “And the last thing I want you to know is even if I can’t promise it’ll always be easy, I can promise you that I’m going to be rooting for you.”

what did Pete say that was inappropriate?

Oh for ****s sake! What does the child mean when he says he is gay then? Gay is a sexual orientation. Sexual orientation refers to sexual attraction.

Oh you dont understand...even though we all know that 27 is the new 18 because youth of today suck kids of 9 we pretend have it all figured out when the narrative works better that way!

BARF!

Uh huh. He said he's gay. You immediately responded with a connection to pedophilia and said you played doctor with boys at the same age. If the boy thinks or knows he's gay, and if you're gay yourself, then you should know that him acknowledging what he thinks or knows his sexual orientation is is both fine and possible at any age.

Last edited:
Uh huh. He said he's gay. You immediately responded with a connection to pedophilia and said you played doctor with boys at the same age. If the boy thinks or knows he's gay, and if you're gay yourself, then you should know that him acknowledging what he thinks or knows his sexual orientation is both fine and possible at any age.

Ya Right....I have had a three year old tell me that they are the wrong sex.

Back when we were better we waited for them to grow out of it.

Uh huh. He said he's gay. You immediately responded with a connection to pedophilia and said you played doctor with boys at the same age.

You seem to be implying those things are somehow related. Please explain.

If the boy thinks or knows he's gay, and if you're gay yourself, then you should know that him acknowledging what he thinks or knows his sexual orientation is both fine and possible at any age.

He is a prepubescent child. I did not think that way when I was his age. I don't think I even knew what gay was at that age and I had no frame of reference. There certainly were no same sex couples around when I was a kid. At least they were not open about it.

You seem to be implying those things are somehow related. Please explain.

He is a prepubescent child. I did not think that way when I was his age. I don't think I even knew what gay was at that age and I had no frame of reference. There certainly were no same sex couples around when I was a kid. At least they were not open about it.
if you were in Pete's situation, what would you have said to the kid?

Back
Top Bottom