• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nine Inch Nails-Hesitation Marks

Fiddytree

Neocon Elitist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Now, I know that among NIN fans, there is a split between those who generally like what Reznor and Co. have done, and those that think it died off either after The Downward Spiral or my personal favorite, The Fragile, however, I thought it would be fun to mention this new album.

Currently it is streaming via iTunes (Connecting to the iTunes Store.) and The Guardian (Nine Inch Nails: Hesitation Marks). I have pre-ordered it via the NIN store, and eagerly await the so-called "audiophile" copy that will be available to download, because the regular version will be mastered "loud" for the masses (don't know why he would do that in the first place, but hey..)

The reasoning for this is kind of amusing, but a reality.

NOTE: The standard mastered version is in no way inferior to the Audiophile Version - we wouldn’t release something inferior as the default. And vinyl purists rest assured, the vinyl edition was mastered to sound the very best for that format. The Audiophile Version is merely an alternate take on the mastering, which some people will appreciate. It’s meant to give a slightly different experience, not denigrate the standard version. Listen to each and come to your own conclusions.

If the industry and the listening public at large did not encourage artificially turning up the album's volume, it would be clear that loud simply sucks-but try telling that to the multitude of Red Hot Chili Peppers fans and Lars from Metallica. :roll: :lol:

Something tells me I am going to have a lot of time listening to it via my AKG 702's and Headroom Desktop Amp. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
If the industry and the listening public at large did not encourage artificially turning up the album's volume, it would be clear that loud simply sucks-but try telling that to the multitude of Red Hot Chili Peppers fans and Lars from Metallica. :roll: :lol:

Something tells me I am going to have a lot of time listening to it via my AKG 702's and Headroom Desktop Amp. :mrgreen:

Speaking of Red Hot Chili Peppers, am I the only one annoyed by the recording of Anthony's vocals? It seems they use pump and compress to distort his voice in a way that makes it annoying to listen to.

As far as NIN, his new music sounds like he is trying to capture the vibe of his old music (circa 1994), but using a drum machine. He really needs to evolve, not devolve.

I like the album. Some notes about the less-loud "audiophile" version. It is 24 bit, 48000 hz. Some folks have taken a look at it and concluded that the differences were most assuredly there, but it was not ground breaking. Anyone trying to ABX test the two albums probably will not have a problem identifying the "audiophile" recording from the standard release, as one is clearly louder than the other, but those wanting to find out which is better to listen to are probably going to go more into nuance than anything else. I prefer the audiophile version, but I won't pretend it is a dramatic difference.

Now, I know that among NIN fans, there is a split between those who generally like what Reznor and Co. have done, and those that think it died off either after The Downward Spiral or my personal favorite, The Fragile, however, I thought it would be fun to mention this new album.

Currently it is streaming via iTunes (Connecting to the iTunes Store.) and The Guardian (Nine Inch Nails: Hesitation Marks). I have pre-ordered it via the NIN store, and eagerly await the so-called "audiophile" copy that will be available to download, because the regular version will be mastered "loud" for the masses (don't know why he would do that in the first place, but hey..)

The reasoning for this is kind of amusing, but a reality.

He's no longer into 'lyrics with grit' that say something, but went on this musical voyage that sort of upchucked him onto the island of Disco-Pop-Industrial. On top of this, the lyrics are no longer listenable, it's very hard to understand anything he says. He's in his 'sober' phase, but his music choices really make me question that. He's become more muddled as the years go on.

I never thought Trent could do wrong, but he lost me on H.M. I do love all of his albums up to Year Zero - my favorite is Pretty Hate Machine. I don't get this 'existential discovery' he's gone on with Ghosts and H.M. Just too strange and irritating to be interesting at all.

I don't dislike him, he's still awesome to me - I just don't connect with him at all these days. He's mellowed out, and my life is still ****.

Last edited:
I like the album. Some notes about the less-loud "audiophile" version. It is 24 bit, 48000 hz. Some folks have taken a look at it and concluded that the differences were most assuredly there, but it was not ground breaking. Anyone trying to ABX test the two albums probably will not have a problem identifying the "audiophile" recording from the standard release, as one is clearly louder than the other, but those wanting to find out which is better to listen to are probably going to go more into nuance than anything else. I prefer the audiophile version, but I won't pretend it is a dramatic difference.

As they say, if it's too loud, you're too old. :thumbs: :)

He's no longer into 'lyrics with grit' that say something, but went on this musical voyage that sort of upchucked him onto the island of Disco-Pop-Industrial. On top of this, the lyrics are no longer listenable, it's very hard to understand anything he says. He's in his 'sober' phase, but his music choices really make me question that. He's become more muddled as the years go on.

I never thought Trent could do wrong, but he lost me on H.M. I do love all of his albums up to Year Zero - my favorite is Pretty Hate Machine. I don't get this 'existential discovery' he's gone on with Ghosts and H.M. Just too strange and irritating to be interesting at all.

I don't dislike him, he's still awesome to me - I just don't connect with him at all these days. He's mellowed out, and my life is still ****.

Is it really him who's changed, or you who has changed?

I have similar feelings about a bunch of artists that I listened to in my youth and are still around. When I think about it, I realize that most of the time, it's me who has changed. Most of the music that I listened to when I was 15 I don't connect to at 35 like I did then. In fact, most of the lyrics of songs that I thought were deep and meaningful back then sound downright corny to me now, but I still listen to my favorites from my youth.

Well - his songs use to be lyric-related, that's the main difference. There's considerably more instrumental with his recent releases. Aside that, I have a harder time just hearing the words, he's gone into a phase that I'm just not on the level with. Then, insert pop elements to the instrumentals, and that really wraps it all up. H.M. is just irritating, I enjoyed very little of it.

As they say, if it's too loud, you're too old. :thumbs: :)

Nah, turn up a well-mixed album and the difference is clear. :p At least Megadeth's Endgame was listenable in comparison to Metallica's Death Magnetic. I would turn that sucker up.

I just received Hesitation Marks in the mail today and gave it a listen in its entirety. I think it's great! A lot more mellow than other NIN records, but great. I got the Deluxe Edition for a couple dollars more, and the second disc with 3 remixed tracks is nothing special.

I just received Hesitation Marks in the mail today and gave it a listen in its entirety. I think it's great! A lot more mellow than other NIN records, but great. I got the Deluxe Edition for a couple dollars more, and the second disc with 3 remixed tracks is nothing special.

Me too. I haven't popped in the second disc though.

I dunno, I am with Aunt Spiker on this one. I like his older, grittier stuff better. I like the raw emotionality in it.

Back
Top Bottom