• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NIMBY Portland Residents Not Happy

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Neighbors unhappy as demonstrations move east into residential Portland - oregonlive.com

As Portland’s protests against police violence and systemic racism approach 80 consecutive nights, the location of the main action has shifted from downtown to residential neighborhoods on the east side of the Willamette River, bringing crowds of demonstrators and a heavy police force onto usually quiet nighttime streets.

People who live and work in areas where protests have taken place are not happy.

After a protest was declared a riot Saturday when a small group of demonstrators lit a fire inside the Portland police union building on Lombard Street in North Portland, police pushed protesters into the Kenton neighborhood.

In downtown Kenton, protesters used wooden items, including picnic tables and road barrier signs, to build a barricade across Denver near Schofield Street. The standoff between police and demonstrators continued past midnight.

On Reddit and Facebook, people who live in the area expressed anger about property destruction.

“Lots of people worked hard to make our little neighborhood pleasant and to help the local businesses stay open,” wrote Redditor WheeblesWobble in a post called “Leave Kenton Alone!”

Expect more of this. BLM doesn't think it's getting enough attention and is changing tactics. Here they are moving into residential areas in Georgetown, DC on Aug 9.

BLM protesters intimidate diners, yell homophobic slurs and wake up liberal neighborhood in middle of the night | theblaze.com

It's one thing to trash an empty downtown at night. The only ones being harmed are businesses. The Portland leaders don't seem to care about them.

But when the anarchists move in to residential neighborhoods...that's when the city leaders better do something. People vote.

Is Kenton on the way to Eugene?

Weird question. Portland is an awesome city of lively little neighborhoods where you can walk or bike everywhere. Some of the best food you can find anywhere, shady and tree-lined, older craftsman style homes and an awesome downtown.

It's too bad these asshats are destroying it.

Weird question. Portland is an awesome city of lively little neighborhoods where you can walk or bike everywhere. Some of the best food you can find anywhere, shady and tree-lined, older craftsman style homes and an awesome downtown.

I was referencing you calling the people in that neighbourhood 'Nimby's'. That's a pejorative term for hypocrites who present themselves as being in favour of certain social measures so long as they don't happen near where they live. If you think those people are hypocrites for not wanting the demonstration to happen in their residential neighbourhood maybe you'd welcome it in yours.

Agree. My daughter lived in Portland until recently when she relocated to Hillsboro- about 20 minutes from downtown. It’s a nice city though then homeless problem is far worse than I’ve ever seen in NYC.

Agree. My daughter lived in Portland until recently when she relocated to Hillsboro- about 20 minutes from downtown. It’s a nice city though then homeless problem is far worse than I’ve ever seen in NYC.

Yes, it is. It's out of control. There's a large population of mentally ill who can be aggressive, violent, and confrontational.

It's sad that democrats have ignored them and left them to deteriorate on the streets alone and untreated.

I was referencing you calling the people in that neighbourhood 'Nimby's'. That's a pejorative term for hypocrites who present themselves as being in favour of certain social measures so long as they don't happen near where they live. If you think those people are hypocrites for not wanting the demonstration to happen in their residential neighbourhood maybe you'd welcome it in yours.

They're NIMBY's because they support the liberal gov't that allows and even encourages these destructive and violent temper tantrums, but they don't want it on their street.

I don't want it on my street either, the difference is that I don't support the progressive policies that have ruined liberal cities, nor will I vote for the enablers and do-nothings that allow this bull**** to continue.

Those things you mention all come from privilege and all privilege must be destroyed!

The real beauty of anarch-communism is that when everyone is forced to live in the ashes of society they can finally understand what privilege is all about.

It's one thing to trash an empty downtown at night. The only ones being harmed are businesses. The Portland leaders don't seem to care about them.

But when the anarchists move in to residential neighborhoods...that's when the city leaders better do something. People vote.

And panic and start shooting.

They're NIMBY's because they support the liberal gov't that allows and even encourages these destructive and violent temper tantrums, but they don't want it on their street.

I don't want it on my street either, the difference is that I don't support the progressive policies that have ruined liberal cities, nor will I vote for the enablers and do-nothings that allow this bull**** to continue.

Cut it out. You don't know how someone you never talked to, never laid eyes on, thinks about anything.
This ploy is a favourite of the vocal right whinge- make up an absurd point of view that's easy to argue against, pretend that masses of people hold that absurd opinion and then shoot the fish you dropped in the barrel.
No liberal government encourages destruction and violence, that's just one of your attempts to create an easy target. And liberal and progressive aren't the same thing, that's just one way you don't know what you're talking about here.

No liberal government encourages destruction and violence, that's just one of your attempts to create an easy target.

Yes they do, when they downplay the violence, refuse to back their police in doing something about it, de-fang their LEO, refuse to prosecute crimes, refuse to hold offenders with bail, vote to defund police, pretend it's peaceful protesting, etc, etc.

Portland mayor Ted Wheeler and city council, along with Seattle mayor Jenny Durkan and council are directly responsible for the ongoing destruction, injuries, and destroyed business zones.

Yes they do, when they downplay the violence, refuse to back their police in doing something about it, de-fang their LEO, refuse to prosecute crimes, refuse to hold offenders with bail, vote to defund police, pretend it's peaceful protesting, etc, etc.

Portland mayor Ted Wheeler and city council, along with Seattle mayor Jenny Durkan and council are directly responsible for the ongoing destruction, injuries, and destroyed business zones.

It could well be argued that Keith Ellison's choice to appeal to the mob and overcharge the cop that killed George Floyd emboldened "protestors" worldwide and prompted an international spate of violence and crime.

Back
Top Bottom