• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nightmarish Arizona Restaurant Has Some Of The Strictest Employee Rules...

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Tips are the "property of the house," and don't go to the waitstaff.

Well that is just stupid. There is no reason to even work there.

Too strict, but not unfair. No one has to work there, though I'm not sure if "Employees must agree not to work for a competitor within 50 miles of the restaurant for a full year after they leave, or to open a similar business in the same radius." would actually be enforceable.

And as far as the tips go, if I was the wait staff, I'd just make sure to tell my customers not to leave a tip. I assume, of course, since tips are not being paid to the wait staff, the waiters/waitresses are being paid at least minimum wage (unlike in other restaurants).

Too strict, but not unfair. No one has to work there, though I'm not sure if "Employees must agree not to work for a competitor within 50 miles of the restaurant for a full year after they leave, or to open a similar business in the same radius." would actually be enforceable.

And as far as the tips go, if I was the wait staff, I'd just make sure to tell my customers not to leave a tip. I assume, of course, since tips are not being paid to the wait staff, the waiters/waitresses are being paid at least minimum wage (unlike in other restaurants).

Your first sentence is contradictory.

It also occurred to me that the restrictions might not be enforceable... though it may be.

They do get paid $8/hr, but it's still a crappy policy. They couldn't legally be paid less than min wage without tips. To me it suggests just how much tips can be.

Not only are they strict or unfair, but a few of them are illegal.

lol, the crazy couple from Amy's Bakery... what utter nutjobs. Words cannot describe, just watch:

There are some of the rules that are outright illegal or unenforceable , but otherwise, I wouldn't have a problem with any of them. If people don't like the rules, they can quit and go somewhere else.

Why is this a story?

Your first sentence is contradictory.
No, it isn't. It's too strict for me to ever consider working there. But it's not unfair for them to have those rules.

Well that is just stupid. There is no reason to even work there.

Do they tell their customers they confiscate tips?

Id have a piece of the owners asses if they don't and I found out.

I didnt tip the OWNERS.

If they're too strict... even just for you... then they're unfair... if only just for you.

Nonsense. Strictness and fairness have nothing to do with one another.

For example, I'm a teacher. When I'm lecturing, kids are not allowed to talk at all. Do some of those students find that strict? Yes. But it's not unfair, because it's a reasonable rule which provides the best learning environment possible.

Strictness and fairness are not the same thing.

Why is this a story?
Because people such as yourself like to put on airs that it's beneath them, then comment on it anyway.

I didnt tip the OWNERS.
Completely agree.

Nonsense. Strictness and fairness have nothing to do with one another.

For example, I'm a teacher. When I'm lecturing, kids are not allowed to talk at all. Do some of those students find that strict? Yes. But it's not unfair, because it's a reasonable rule which provides the best learning environment possible.

Strictness and fairness are not the same thing.

Denied. Per your own words... "too strict".

Because people such as yourself like to put on airs that it's beneath them, then comment on it anyway.

Completely agree.

Loud and in front of as many other customers as possible.

Assholes...

Loud and in front of as many other customers as possible.

Assholes...

Not to derail the thread, but I even have issues with servers "tipping out" other co-workers. Hostesses, bus people, bartenders, etc. First, that's not who I'm tipping. Second, bartenders get their own tips*. Third, none of those people has a direct influence on my dining experience like a server does. What happens behind the scenes is not my concern and I have no way of knowing if they earned a portion of my tip by doing a good job, or not.

*- In most places that do this, bartenders are not expected to reciprocate for food delivered to the bar, but some places do.

Not to derail the thread, but I even have issues with servers "tipping out" other co-workers. Hostesses, bus people, bartenders, etc. First, that's not who I'm tipping. Second, bartenders get their own tips*. Third, none of those people has a direct influence on my dining experience like a server does. What happens behind the scenes is not my concern and I have no way of knowing if they earned a portion of my tip by doing a good job, or not.

*- In most places that do this, bartenders are not expected to reciprocate for food delivered to the bar, but some places do.

I know from friends that tipping out busboys is about quick table clearing/resetting and clean tables. Seems reasonable.

Not sure about bartenders.

Tip jars are another element, but I generally do 10% to a jar with no table service. You get fatter burritos!

I know from friends that tipping out busboys is about quick table clearing/resetting and clean tables. Seems reasonable.

Not sure about bartenders.

Tip jars are another element, but I generally do 10% to a jar with no table service. You get fatter burritos!

It's been awhile since I have been in the restaurant industry, but when I was bus people got paid minimum wage while servers didn't. I'm presuming it's still the same as I don't believe bus people are officially or legally categorized as tipped employees (but don't quote me on that).

Denied. Per your own words... "too strict".

Per my own words..."too strict for me". You are 100% wrong here. Just because I consider something to be too strict for me to desire it, that doesn't mean it's unfair.

Oh, geez! :roll:
Indeed, we feel exactly the same way. Whenever you learn the difference in the meanings of the words, then we can both be happier.

It's been awhile since I have been in the restaurant industry, but when I was bus people got paid minimum wage while servers didn't. I'm presuming it's still the same as I don't believe bus people are officially or legally categorized as tipped employees (but don't quote me on that).

I don't know details but it always seemed more like throwin em a bone than a big chunk of a tip.

Not only are they strict or unfair, but a few of them are illegal.

I don't know much about labor law. Which ones are illegal?

The only one that strikes me as probably illegal is the one on tips. And I'm only inferring it's probably illegal because, as I recall, the IRS assumes waitstaff make a certain amount in tips for taxation purposes.

The no compete clause is kind of silly to apply to a waiter but they aren't illegal to the best of my knowledge.

The fine is over the top - though I'm betting the type of business has problems with staff no shows on holidays and weekends - but again I'm not sure it's illegal if the employee agreed to it as part of their employment agreement.

I would never work there the rules are far too strict and as a result I bet customer service sucks.

lol, the crazy couple from Amy's Bakery... what utter nutjobs. Words cannot describe, just watch:

Holy hellfire these people are nuts. That is probably the most scariest woman I've ever seen. I'd not be surprised if her husband's corpse is found with a kitchen knife in it one day. She nuggin futs.

I hate watching chef Ramsey because I see no cause to scream at people and belittle them like he does. What's funny about this episode is these two nutjobs did all the screaming and this was the quietest and most reserved I've ever seen Chef Ramsey be. AND this is the only episode where he failed to help the restaurant and walked out. These folks are just terrible people.

Nope... Chef Ramsey busted them on it and flat out told the customers and it pissed the customers off badly.

What if...? said:

I didnt tip the OWNERS.

The customers were definitely pissed when they found out.

Back
Top Bottom