• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it | World news | The Observer

Quote(We reached the edge of the oil spill near the Nigerian village of Otuegwe after a long hike through cassava plantations. Ahead of us lay swamp. We waded into the warm tropical water and began swimming, cameras and notebooks held above our heads. We could smell the oil long before we saw it – the stench of garage forecourts and rotting vegetation hanging thickly in the air.

The farther we travelled, the more nauseous it became. Soon we were swimming in pools of light Nigerian crude, the best-quality oil in the world. One of the many hundreds of 40-year-old pipelines that crisscross the Niger delta had corroded and spewed oil for several months.

Forest and farmland were now covered in a sheen of greasy oil. Drinking wells were polluted and people were distraught. No one knew how much oil had leaked. "We lost our nets, huts and fishing pots," said Chief Promise, village leader of Otuegwe and our guide. "This is where we fished and farmed. We have lost our forest. We told Shell of the spill within days, but they did nothing for six months.")

Shell or rather (Shell Pertroleum Development Company Nig.) SPDC is how they are termed in Nigeria, have in the past had a history of Pipeline Inspection.
In recent years Pipeline Inspection has become increasingly more difficult, the locals demand Money from the contractors and if that is not paid then they block entry to the flow stations, kidnap the crews doing the work and steal their equipment, letting them have it back after ransom is paid.

While I can't spink in regards to Europe...

GOOD.

The United States, both the government and individuals, do a TON for other countries of the world through both man power and monetary aide. And don't give me only if its a forunante country. Indonesia and Haiti are hardly westernized modern societies and a lot of aid is sent to Africa.

But there is absolutely no reason why the focus should be external when there's an issue going on in regards to our actual country. If there's a earthquake rocking central L.A. that's a 4.0 and a 7.0 one hits in India then guess what...I want 99% of my coverage to be about central L.A. and the vast majority of the support going to centra L.A., because utlimately yes...as "selfish" as it may seem...I want my country focusing on my country and its people before it goes galavanting elsewhere.

Link
Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it | World news | The Observer

Quote(We reached the edge of the oil spill near the Nigerian village of Otuegwe after a long hike through cassava plantations. Ahead of us lay swamp. We waded into the warm tropical water and began swimming, cameras and notebooks held above our heads. We could smell the oil long before we saw it – the stench of garage forecourts and rotting vegetation hanging thickly in the air.

The farther we travelled, the more nauseous it became. Soon we were swimming in pools of light Nigerian crude, the best-quality oil in the world. One of the many hundreds of 40-year-old pipelines that crisscross the Niger delta had corroded and spewed oil for several months.

Forest and farmland were now covered in a sheen of greasy oil. Drinking wells were polluted and people were distraught. No one knew how much oil had leaked. "We lost our nets, huts and fishing pots," said Chief Promise, village leader of Otuegwe and our guide. "This is where we fished and farmed. We have lost our forest. We told Shell of the spill within days, but they did nothing for six months.")

Shell or rather (Shell Pertroleum Development Company Nig.) SPDC is how they are termed in Nigeria, have in the past had a history of Pipeline Inspection.
In recent years Pipeline Inspection has become increasingly more difficult, the locals demand Money from the contractors and if that is not paid then they block entry to the flow stations, kidnap the crews doing the work and steal their equipment, letting them have it back after ransom is paid.

There is always an underlying reason for such problems.
BBC NEWS | Africa | Nigeria oil unrest 'kills 1,000' (Short article)
BBC NEWS | Africa | Q&A: Nigeria's oil violence

Perhaps you would like to volunteer to inspect the lines?

Africa has never been known for its stability, and when you mix that with money and oil, it can get nasty.
And it has.

Too bad so much oil is in the lands of despots and chaos.

Link

Is this a "oh look how bad NIgera's problem is so we should ignor the problem we have in the gulf"? Hopefully BP or someone else will stop the leak in the gulf before we become like Nigeria. I heard one of my favorite talk show host say that we do not stop building houses just because one catches fire in regard to offshore drilling. But I know that a house fire can be put out before it burns down the nieghborhood , heck a housefire can be put out before it burns down the whole block or even touches your neighbors house.How much damage will be done before the oil leak is stopped?

I think in both Nigeria and Gulf cases, they were result of powerful and rich oil companies putting profit ahead of environment.

In both cases, Nigeria and the US governments allowed these rich and powerful companies to get away with a least some lax, anti-environment cost-saving allowances.

In both cases, people should be furious.

Back
Top Bottom