• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nigerian behind $60 mn online fraud network arrested: Interpol

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
This is the network that's been harassing your email account with Nigerian Prince and fake romance scams over the years... The main guy was actually arrested in Nigeria. I think where he probably fell apart was he stole $15 million from one person. Had he kept stealing from middle class and poor people there probably wouldn't have ever been enough interest to pursue him. But he stole from a rich person and I'll bet they are the ones with the connections to kick Interpol into action.

Lagos (AFP) - A Nigerian behind an online fraud network which engineered scams worth more than $60 million (54 million euros) has been arrested in southern oil city of Port Harcourt, Interpol said on Monday.

"The 40-year-old Nigerian national, known as 'Mike', is believed to be behind scams totalling more than $60 million involving hundreds of victims worldwide," the international police organisation said in a statement.

"In one case, a target was conned into paying out $15.4 million," Interpol said, indicating that the arrest was carried out with the support of Nigeria's anti-graft agency the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).​

wait
he still owes me $5600 from an over payment he made in my favor that turned out to be a banking error
maybe this is why i heard nothing more from him

LOL what I find fascinating is that people keep falling for it. I guess PT Barnum was right: there is a sucker born every minute!

This is the network that's been harassing your email account with Nigerian Prince and fake romance scams over the years... The main guy was actually arrested in Nigeria. I think where he probably fell apart was he stole $15 million from one person. Had he kept stealing from middle class and poor people there probably wouldn't have ever been enough interest to pursue him. But he stole from a rich person and I'll bet they are the ones with the connections to kick Interpol into action.

Lagos (AFP) - A Nigerian behind an online fraud network which engineered scams worth more than $60 million (54 million euros) has been arrested in southern oil city of Port Harcourt, Interpol said on Monday.

"The 40-year-old Nigerian national, known as 'Mike', is believed to be behind scams totalling more than $60 million involving hundreds of victims worldwide," the international police organisation said in a statement.

"In one case, a target was conned into paying out $15.4 million," Interpol said, indicating that the arrest was carried out with the support of Nigeria's anti-graft agency the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).​

What the ****?!

Why do people keep falling for this ****?

Now if they can get the guy who's friend's step-mom makes $112 an hour working on her computer from home ...

Now if they can get the guy who's friend's step-mom makes $112 an hour working on her computer from home ...

Two words, dude: cyber-sex

LOL what I find fascinating is that people keep falling for it. I guess PT Barnum was right: there is a sucker born every minute!

that was my opinion until an experience last year
i assist Montagnard (vietnamese) refugees who have immigrated to this area
they are a very honest and very naive tribal people
ripe for the exploitation of conniving bastards

last fall i got a call from one of the Montagnard people. a 20 year old pregnant woman with two kids, whose husband supports the family by doing roofing labor. he was the sole, hard working, income earner
she asked if i could help her get her money back
seems a caller from new york spoke with her about an IRS refund being available to her and her husband. but in order to get that $6+ thousand refund, she would have to first pay off the amount shown to now be owing. that amount just happened to be what she had in the bank. so she went as directed and wired 'credits' for $1800 to pay the amount outstanding and awaited a phone call telling her when the $6 grand was going to be wired to her bank account
while waiting on that call, her husband's debit card was denied when he tried to buy lunch at work
she called the woman back and the woman explained she still owed another $700
i received the call with her asking if she should borrow the additional $700 from family members and wire more 'credits' as instructed
of course, that is when we stopped the hemorrage of money in the con's direction and contacted the Treasury Department Inspector General because of the misrepresentation of the collection of an IRS debt
seems this is a widespread scam
and it works on the gullible and the greedy alike

hope there is a special place in hell for such bastards

Back
Top Bottom