• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nigel Farage resigns again.. will it last?

No, I didn't notice that I bolded - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

So now to me, it does seem perhaps: "Hey, when the **** hits the fan, I'm not taking a fall with these guys! They took a good idea and ruined it! But people, I can lead you out of this! Vote for me!"

I wouldn't doubt it.

Hey he cant give up the gravy train. Low taxes, high wage and the ability to legally give himself more money via his wife. Most of the anti-EU types are nothing but hypocrites when it comes to it. In Denmark the present day Danish Nigel Farage was just busted for fraud when it came to EU funds. He has to pay back over 100k euros....

What is fair to say is that he brought the message of the troubles to medial attention and would not let the EU bureaucrats cover it up.

It is not always the person that recognizes the problem that is best suited to carry the torch. He got the UK Parliament the option to exit, which will be handy in the upcoming negotiations of where the EU should go and what it should be. He is not the person predestined to lead those negotiations, however. That he realizes this and abdicates power, that he could certainly hold for years still, speaks highly of the man.
Why are you so dayem logical, when I'm skipping off on emphatic tangents? :mrgreen:

All fair points though I suppose, depending on one's POV.

Why are you so dayem logical, when I'm skipping off on emphatic tangents? :mrgreen:

All fair points though I suppose, depending on one's POV.
It remains mysterious however, except to the poster it seems, how the UK's negotiations over what future terms it'll get from the EU has anything to do with negotiations over where the EU should go and what it should be.

If there's to be anything planned. decided and executed over inner change, nobody in Brussels or Strasbourg (let alone the gubmints of the individual member states) is going to be asking the UK about it. On account of UK no longer having a voice on EU's inner changes and the idea of any tail wagging the dog being held as a pretty silly proposition.

There are many logical appraisals in here so I guess you just responded to the wrong post. The "wrongest" of the lot, in fact.;)

Check, & mate!

Well played, Andalublue!

Nope. The Godwin Defense is a false argument meant to deflect his use of a well analysed lingual instrument of fascism. It was used by all fascist groups from the Soviets, over the Spanish, Italian and German to the Chinese or Cambodian ones. All of them systematically used fecal or unappetising vermin to describe their foes. The theory is that by creating a proximity in the minds of people between the vermin and the foe it will create a negative bias. Rats were one of the most powerful symbols of degraded human existence that was very interestingly put to use in "Der Ewige Jude" that was still forbidden in Germany, last I looked.

Anyway, he was using this fascist tool against those of differing political opinion.

It remains mysterious however, except to the poster it seems, how the UK's negotiations over what future terms it'll get from the EU has anything to do with negotiations over where the EU should go and what it should be.

If there's to be anything planned. decided and executed over inner change, nobody in Brussels or Strasbourg (let alone the gubmints of the individual member states) is going to be asking the UK about it. On account of UK no longer having a voice on EU's inner changes and the idea of any tail wagging the dog being held as a pretty silly proposition.

There are many logical appraisals in here so I guess you just responded to the wrong post. The "wrongest" of the lot, in fact.;)
This has got to be one of the most polite rebuttal posts I've ever received claiming I was wrong (AKA, "that was a stupid-assed post - idiot")!

I feel totally disarmed.

I'm still trying to decide if a thank you is in order ... :mrgreen:

Nope. The Godwin Defense is a false argument meant to deflect his use of a well analysed lingual instrument of fascism. It was used by all fascist groups from the Soviets, over the Spanish, Italian and German to the Chinese or Cambodian ones. All of them systematically used fecal or unappetising vermin to describe their foes. The theory is that by creating a proximity in the minds of people between the vermin and the foe it will create a negative bias. Rats were one of the most powerful symbols of degraded human existence that was very interestingly put to use in "Der Ewige Jude" that was still forbidden in Germany, last I looked.

Anyway, he was using this fascist tool against those of differing political opinion.
You are right in your general thrust here, believe.

But in the internet world you should have been cognizant of the use of a Nazi reference when others abound, unless you wanted to see Godwin invoked.

Obviously Godwin's rule itself is at least partly in jest, and my reply was playing to that - not your argument itself.

But bringing Nazi comparisons into a discussion (by their very nature) has a way of ending the discussion in a similar vein to invoking moral high-ground.

JMHO here.

This has got to be one of the most polite rebuttal posts I've ever received claiming I was wrong (AKA, "that was a stupid-assed post - idiot")!

I feel totally disarmed.

I'm still trying to decide if a thank you is in order ... :mrgreen:
:lol: Hahaha, no, not at all.

On the contrary I got the impression that you were just carrying your own (otherwise commendable) politeness a bit too far by giving the post in question a benefit it did not deserve. And felt that needed address, since the quality tag I've bolded above appears far more applicable to precisely that post in question.

It's "calling spades spades" day. :mrgreen:

You should reread the post and recall that the UK is still a full voting member of the EU and that substantial forces within the EU and its members have been shifting towards many of the UK's positions. Today Tony Blair gave an interview on BBC with the advise the UK should view the referendum as an option to be held dry. And that the political class all through the EU is debating change is self evident to anyone that looks at any European medium at all. Why, Schulz proposed a central state with the EU Council as a second house of parliament like the Bundesrat in the German system.

:lol: Hahaha, no, not at all.

On the contrary I got the impression that you were just carrying your own (otherwise commendable) politeness a bit too far by giving the post in question a benefit it did not deserve. And felt that needed address, since the quality tag I've bolded above appears far more applicable to precisely that post in question.

It's "calling spades spades" day. :mrgreen:
Then, xxxx xxx! <-- fill in the appropriate derogatory expression as desired :lamo

With Farage's dogged determination there would not have been a referendum and the UK would not have regained its independence. One does not have to like Farage to see that his influence was decisive.

If they start a fund to cast his statue in bronze I'll contribute a few quid.

~....................But bringing Nazi comparisons into a discussion (by their very nature) has a way of ending the discussion in a similar vein to invoking moral high-ground.

JMHO here.
Glad to see that the impression you give of being good on your feet can now prevail.;)

Interesting to see though how someone falls prey to causing the invocation of Godwin's law and then, when it is pointed out, does it all over again. The concept of shelving shovels when the hole is getting too deep has obviously not made it everywhere yet.

Rats leaving the sinking ship (the actual implication) incidentally traces back as far as Pliny the Elder (77 AD) and, more recently, Shakespeare. Well known Nazis, as we all know, with a propensity of dehumanizing all that didn't agree with them.:roll:

And, to add to education possibly and direly needed by others, Godwin's Law doesn't really articulate a fallacy but rather addresses the glib use of comparison to Hitler. Where those comparisons are as clearly valid as with Pliny and Shakespeare :lamo:lamo it is thus unjustly invoked.

On the political leanings of rats in general I can of course only speculate :mrgreen:

Yes and it was one that backfired, as the people around him were doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen and so on by trade..

Andalube, Chagos and PeteEU. You lost. Yet another reason why I'm so glad I voted Leave.

With Farage's dogged determination there would not have been a referendum and the UK would not have regained its independence. One does not have to like Farage to see that his influence was decisive.

If they start a fund to cast his statue in bronze I'll contribute a few quid.
But don't forget to have your name engraved on it as well. With what shows to lie ahead, people will appreciate specific targets for their derision. :mrgreen:

Paris and Frankfurt can't wait to to take over the European banking trades currently happening in the City...

[FONT=&quot]" The free movement principle of the EU means that all individuals of member states receive an EU passport. They can settle in any other EU country and enjoy the same rights and benefits as any other citizen of the host country.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is perhaps less obvious that the EU passport also applies to businesses, including banks. If, say, an American bank has been authorised to be in Britain, it is automatically entitled to operate in any EU country. It is this quintessential element of EU membership that has enabled London to become the banking capital of Europe.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now that the UK has voted for a Brexit from the EU, we don’t yet know what kind of arrangements the two sides will agree. They may end up being more favourable than the total separation envisaged by Article 50of the Treaty of the European Union. But unless the UK is still inside the single market, at least as part of the European Economic Area (EEA), this passporting right will be gone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is why there are widespread fears about how the banks are going to keep their main European headquarters in London, particularly those that are non-EU. There is likely to be a surge in requests for banking licences on the continent, even from British banks. Hence numerous international banks are reportedly considering their options. Substantial numbers of the City’s circa 700,000 jobs might shift. ..."[/FONT]

https://theconversation.com/london-banking-will-struggle-to-escape-brexit-trap-61929

Last edited:
But don't forget to have your name engraved on it as well. With what shows to lie ahead, people will appreciate specific targets for their derision. :mrgreen:

Calm down Chagos. All this hysterical doom-mongering cannot e good for you. Prediction wise, how did your forecast of the referendum result work out btw?

Your opinion is not mine Chagos. You lost, I didn't.
Brilliant retort and fantastic conclusion.

Congratulations.

Of course my opinion is not yours. To effect that yours would have to be better informed.

Calm down Chagos. All this hysterical doom-mongering cannot e good for you. Prediction wise, how did your forecast of the referendum result work out btw?
Oh just carry on in cloud cuckoo land. And don't let already announced cuts in public spending, tax increases for all except corporations and the currently reigning political chaos in Westminster deter you from that.

In fact best to not touch a newspaper and you'll be all right.

Oh just carry on in cloud cuckoo land. And don't let already announced cuts in public spending, tax increases for all except corporations and the currently reigning political chaos in Westminster deter you from that.

In fact best to not touch a newspaper and you'll be all right.

To rely on a biased press, is to rely on a biased press.

THATS the kind of soaring intellect I come to this site for. Absolutely unparalleled for it's incisive analysis.
................and were it not for you quoting it, I'd never have been party to this message of brilliance. Maybe my blocking the poster was not such a good idea after all.

:lamo

Back
Top Bottom