• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Nicotine Enhances Learning And Memory

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
For all the negative things a cigarette does to your body, there is one positive - it makes you smarter. Researchers have shown that nicotine stimulated certain neurotransmitters in the brain responsible for learning and memory.

Cigarettes may be bad for health and taxed to hell, but guess what isn't: nicotine gum. Thanks to the anti-smoking lobby nicotine gum has no tax and can be purchased at any pharmacy, with prices roughly equivalent - milligram for milligram - to cigarettes.

The only health hazards are the same as coffee: slightly increased heartrate and mild addiction. Just like coffee, quitting suddenly will cause mild headaches and tiredness for a few days. Good luck banning gum you hordes of anti-smoking hippies.

Source: Nicotine Enhances Learning And Memory: Could This Lead To New Alzheimer's Medications?

Then my mother should be the cleverest person on the planet..considering she smoked 20 to 40+ a day.

Instead she has 15% lung capacity thanks to ciggies and cant do much any more. And not she aint clever at all, although her memory is great... then again she is a woman :)

Then my mother should be the cleverest person on the planet..considering she smoked 20 to 40+ a day.

Instead she has 15% lung capacity thanks to ciggies and cant do much any more. And not she aint clever at all, although her memory is great... then again she is a woman :)

You didn't read the post. I didn't say cigarettes were good, I said nicotine was good.

For all the negative things a cigarette does to your body, there is one positive - it makes you smarter. Researchers have shown that nicotine stimulated certain neurotransmitters in the brain responsible for learning and memory.

Cigarettes may be bad for health and taxed to hell, but guess what isn't: nicotine gum. Thanks to the anti-smoking lobby nicotine gum has no tax and can be purchased at any pharmacy, with prices roughly equivalent - milligram for milligram - to cigarettes.

The only health hazards are the same as coffee: slightly increased heartrate and mild addiction. Just like coffee, quitting suddenly will cause mild headaches and tiredness for a few days. Good luck banning gum you hordes of anti-smoking hippies.

Source: Nicotine Enhances Learning And Memory: Could This Lead To New Alzheimer's Medications?

Oh, yeah. I like me some nicotine gum every once in a while, just for a treat.
Buy it at Sam's. 240 pieces for 39 dollars (the 2 mg kind).

You didn't read the post. I didn't say cigarettes were good, I said nicotine was good.

I read it.
For all the negative things a cigarette does to your body, there is one positive - it makes you smarter.

That you later go over to nicotine gum still don't change you started out with ciggies :)

You stupid non-smokers.

This just in!

Stimulants increase brain activity:shock:

I'm sure nicotine gum increases one's risk of oral, maxillary, and esophageal cancer, the same as chewing tobacco does.
I choose to chew it anyway occasionally. But it's good to be honest with oneself about the risks associated with one's actions.
Nicotine gum is not approved for long-term use (it's meant to be used for 4 to 6 weeks, possibly up to twelve weeks, for smoking cessation), and nicotine is carcinogenic. Chewing nicotine gum for years is no doubt equally as risky as chewing tobacco for an equivalent number of years, although both activities are still far less risky than cigarette smoking, and they have the added benefit of not exposing others to second-hand carcinogens.

Last edited:
I'm sure nicotine gum increases one's risk of oral, maxillary, and esophageal cancer, the same as chewing tobacco does.
I choose to chew it anyway occasionally. But it's good to be honest with oneself about the risks associated with one's actions.
Nicotine gum is not approved for long-term use (it's meant to be used for 4 to 6 weeks, possibly up to twelve weeks, for smoking cessation), and nicotine is carcinogenic. Chewing nicotine gum for years is no doubt equally as risky as chewing tobacco for an equivalent number of years, although both activities are still far less risky than cigarette smoking, and they have the added benefit of not exposing others to second-hand carcinogens.

Actually, nicotine isnt really carcinogenic per say. In its denatured and chemicalized form commonly found in cigarettes, it does display some carcinogenic properties. Yet nicotine is found in low doses in many foods that are favored in the American diet (tomato, potato, eggplant etc...).

So no, nicotine gum is not even on the same level of chewing tobacco in regards to causing free radical infestation;)

And if we really want to get down to the nitty gritty; the recent boom in tobacco related cancer has much more to do with both the chemicals infused with the tobacco, as well as the radioactive inorganic phosphate fertilizers that have been pushed on the soil for over 50 years.

Thats right folks, commercially grown tobacco is radioactive where a yearly smoking habit has been said to be equivalent to 2000 chest x-rays per year.

Dont believe me, look it up:mrgreen:

And if we really want to get down to the nitty gritty; the recent boom in tobacco related cancer has much more to do with both the chemicals infused with the tobacco, as well as the radioactive inorganic phosphate fertilizers that have been pushed on the soil for over 50 years.

I've got a piece in my mouth as I type.
It burns, and coats my tongue with an icky yellowish film.
I like the burn; that means I'm getting my nic fix.
Still, it can't be good for one's health.

I was actually addicted to nicotine gum long before I was addicted to cigarettes- at age 13. Since quitting smoking several years ago, I've merely returned to my first love.
It would be an exaggeration to say I'm addicted now, though.
I don't chew it every day. I like to have it around for an occasional treat; a pick-me-up before I do housework, or near the end of a long stressful day at work. If it's not there, though, I can live without it.
It certainly wasn't that way when I was addicted to cigarettes. If they weren't there, I'd become absolutely violently frantic until somebody provided some. That was a terrible addiction, one that I'm so glad to be free of. It's slavery, really.

Really? Well, I guess it's all in the mind. The medical basis presented seemed out there.

I wonder how long it will be before some reporter finds that study was funded by the tobacco industry? ;)

Actually, most of the risks of cancer from chewing/dipping tobacco comes from what kind you use and how it is manufactured, not the nicotine itself.

Dipping tobacco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While Nicorette is not even banned from children, although they do advise caution if you give Nicorette to children

Nicorette Gum facts and comparsions at Drugs.com

Back
Top Bottom