• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nice (France) mayor: 'Tens of dead' when truck runs into crowd

Kiwimac,

You have provide no argument other than gratuitous denial. If you insist that 3 simple words in Arabic can have a meaning other than what the whole world accepts, then please tell us what else "wa idrubu hunna" can mean.

Also, you say you're a Quaker, which means you read the bible. How's your Aramaic? I assume you don't rely on English translations given your arguments against accepting English translations of the Qur'an.
I will repeat myself
Every act of translation requires interpretation. Every time we read a passage of text we also interpret it through our world view based on our level of education and experience.

In this world hatred ceases not by Hatred. It ceases only by love.

I will repeat myself
Every act of translation requires interpretation. Every time we read a passage of text we also interpret it through our world view based on our level of education and experience.

Nope. Translation and interpretation are two completely different things. The former is the act of converting words from one language to another, and the latter is the act of determining the meaning of those words.

Nope. Translation and interpretation are two completely different things. The former is the act of converting words from one language to another, and the latter is the act of determining the meaning of those words.
Every translator interprets simply because it is often not possible to translate word for word from one language to another and still make sense.

Every translator interprets simply because it is often not possible to translate word for word from one language to another and still make sense.

Not in the example I gave. That's why I chose it.

Kiwimac speaks a certain amount of truth when it comes to the vagaries of translating. There are several English translations of the Qur'an, and although entirely different words are sometimes used by the various translators, the essence of each verse is unchanged from one to the other. In 4:34, for example, the word 'darab' appears as 'hit', 'beat', 'strike', and 'scourge' in different translations, but all mean exactly the same trouble for a disobedient wife.

Where Kiwimac becomes disingenuous is in his insistence that even the essence of Arabic phrases can be legitimately altered. That's just not the case.

Just for fun, let me show you how different Arabic syntax is from English. Brothers Ahmed and Khalid greet each other in the morning and have this exchange:

A. Sabah al kheer, ya akhuya.
K. Sabah an nour.
A. Ezayak an nahaar da.
K. El humdulilah.

If you were to ask for a translation, I would say the essence of it is this:

A. Good morning, brother.
K. Good morning.
A. How are you today?
K. Fine thank you.

But, if you wanted to know how it translated word for word, it would look like this:

A. Morning the great, oh brother my.
K. Morning the light.
A. Like you the day this.
K. The glory to the God.

Would love to hear your examples.

1: is the Rosenstrasse protest which was a nonviolent protest in Rosenstraße ("Rose street") in Berlin in February and March 1943, carried out by the non-Jewish ("Aryan") wives and relatives of Jewish men who had been arrested for deportation. The protests escalated until the men were released. It was a significant instance of opposition to the events of the Holocaust. Source: Wikipedia

2: for a largely nonviolent resistance by a whole country under German rule : Try here

3: You might also be interested in the following article on the doctrinal differences and tensions within Islam. LINK

muslim-excuses.jpg

You're a special kind of idiot aren't you?

Yeah, I can see that, Libtard. I'm feeling the 'love'. So is the rest of the planet. Not to mention the families of those who were murdered.

Imbecile.

Remember, kids.

Convert or be made to feel the love. :peace

Sorry, I missed it, but it seems odd yet typical that the authorities are destroying any video record of the event.

1: is the Rosenstrasse protest which was a nonviolent protest in Rosenstraße ("Rose street") in Berlin in February and March 1943, carried out by the non-Jewish ("Aryan") wives and relatives of Jewish men who had been arrested for deportation. The protests escalated until the men were released. It was a significant instance of opposition to the events of the Holocaust. Source: Wikipedia

2: for a largely nonviolent resistance by a whole country under German rule : Try here

3: You might also be interested in the following article on the doctrinal differences and tensions within Islam. LINK

Should I disregard your need for 39 hours only to post 2 relevant to the discussion, and poor examples at that?

Did examples 1. and 2. do anything to stop the Holocaust?

1. Context is important. Protests against the arrest of husbands of non-Jewish wives, who themselves were part of the "Privileged Jews" system, post Stalingrad, isn't much of an example (did you not expect me to check out your link?). Your example is great for constructing a narrative, but not representative of how your "solution" would work. Also, see https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10008064 and rosenstrasse-protest

2. Again, poor example. Did the Danes, by their actions (not all of which were non-violent, as stated in the very article you cite) stop the Nazi occupation or the Holocaust? Did it stop Nazi arrests and violence against them? The resounding answer is no.

3. Sigh. Completely irrelevant.

Maybe the power of your love can direct them to "correct" type of doctrine, eh?

Back
Top Bottom