• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL Great Gordie Howe passes away - RIP

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A second "Greatest" has passed away this week, with word coming out that Gordie Howe, Detroit Red Wing great, NHL great, has also passed away. RIP

Wishing his family and close friends peace and comfort.

A second "Greatest" has passed away this week, with word coming out that Gordie Howe, Detroit Red Wing great, NHL great, has also passed away. RIP

Wishing his family and close friends peace and comfort.

Bless his heart. Such an amazing player and a really great man. My heart goes out to his family.

Thanks for the memories, Gordie. You inspired my husband to be a hockey player. You were second only to Wayne Gretzky in my mind.

So sad. Such an amazing guy.

A real ambassador for the game and a class act in every way.

RIP

Gordie Howe with a young Wayne Gretzky. Just a great picture.

howe-gretzky.jpg

I am at something of a loss for words over this. As a Red Wings fan some 40+ years, there has always been Gordie Howe, playing, talking, or just present. He was not just a great player, and a great player for such a long time, but he was a great ambassador to the game. For a very long time, if you went to a Wings game, there was a very real possibility you just might meet Howe(though I never did).

I am at something of a loss for words over this. As a Red Wings fan some 40+ years, there has always been Gordie Howe, playing, talking, or just present. He was not just a great player, and a great player for such a long time, but he was a great ambassador to the game. For a very long time, if you went to a Wings game, there was a very real possibility you just might meet Howe(though I never did).

That was one thing I was disappointed about when the all star game came to Atlanta, that I wasn't able to meet him. He was there the whole weekend and was just great, interacting with people and just being Mr. Hockey. That was a great weekend for many reasons, but he was a highlight for many people.

NHL -- Our favorite Gordie Howe memories

Mark once told a great story about his first few weeks playing together with his father on the Aeros, during a season in which Gordie would put up 100 points in 70 games at 45 years old. Mark would usually be the first guy in to retrieve a puck and often took a hit for it. He'd usually have no issues with the hit, but he noticed his father always immediately sought retribution. "A second later, there's a big crushing hit," Mark Howe said. "It was him hitting the guy who hit me. It took me six weeks, but finally I went up to my dad and said, 'I can take all the hits in the world but you're killing me.' If he said he wasn't protecting me, he's lying."

rest in peace, Gordie Howe.

RIP original Great One.. I met him several times at various events, always a class act, talked like any other person you'd meet on the street! I took my oldest son (then he was 8) to a Leafs game a few years back and we met Gordie Howe at the concession stand (well known that he did this) and he shook my kids hand (mine too). After my son asked me who he was, and I said, arguably the best hockey player to every play the game. he was like, wow cool. Kids.. ;)

Tim-

Back
Top Bottom