• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:279]NHL 2021

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It is official, season starts Jan 13. 56 games. Taxi squads. Division realignment for the season, with all Canadian teams in one division. Going to be interesting, and as always, alot of fun.

Among the highlights:

According to sources, British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec have yet to sign off on their teams (the Canucks, Maple Leafs, Senators and Canadiens) hosting home games. Conversations between those governments and the NHL will continue this week. If agreements can't be reached, it's possible those teams could play in a hybrid hub (most likely in Edmonton, where the NHL conducted a bubble this summer and awarded its 2020 Stanley Cup) or even temporarily relocate the Canadian teams to the U.S. for the season. We should know more this week.

The regular season will wrap up on May 8 and then the league will return to a 16-team, best-of-seven, four-round playoff format. Four teams from each division will qualify for the playoffs.

The first two rounds will be intradvisional play. Then, the four division winners will advance to the semifinals, reseeded based on their regular-season point totals (No. 1 would play No. 4, No. 2 would play No. 3). The two semifinal teams will play in the Stanley Cup Final -- and if you've been following along, that means it's not necessarily going to be an Eastern Conference team versus a Western Conference team competing for the Cup. Bring on the chaos!

The Stanley Cup should be awarded around mid-July.

So, a short season. All divisional play. Every game becomes rather huge. Almost a playoff game like atmosphere.

In the division I care about:

Boston - are they finally getting old? Will Rask return?
Washington - no Holtby
NY Rangers - no Lunquist
NY Islanders - went deep - expectations high for another deep run
Penquins - pissed off about missing playoffs last year????
Buffalo - ????
Devils - ???

Flyers - Will veterans disappoint again? Will Carter Hart dazzle, or find the sophomore slump?

No doubt this division will be very tough. Very tough.

About two weeks out until season starts. Training camps start this weekend.

Thoughts on format? Season? Shortened season? Your favorite division?

Let's get ready for a rumble!!!!!!!

Zdeno Chara is going to be playing for Washington this year. Did not see that coming...

Whatever...so long as Detroit finally has a somewhat decent season, that's all that really matters.

Whatever...so long as Detroit finally has a somewhat decent season, that's all that really matters.
Not gunna happen this year.

So, a short season. All divisional play. Every game becomes rather huge. Almost a playoff game like atmosphere.

In the division I care about:

Boston - are they finally getting old? Will Rask return?
Washington - no Holtby
NY Rangers - no Lunquist
NY Islanders - went deep - expectations high for another deep run
Penquins - pissed off about missing playoffs last year????
Buffalo - ????
Devils - ???

Flyers - Will veterans disappoint again? Will Carter Hart dazzle, or find the sophomore slump?

No doubt this division will be very tough. Very tough.

About two weeks out until season starts. Training camps start this weekend.

Thoughts on format? Season? Shortened season? Your favorite division?

Let's get ready for a rumble!!!!!!!
Tampa will be tough as always but if the Flyers can score a little more this season they'll be right there. GO FLYBOYS!

Colin Wilson announced his retirement. Kinda sad, as he had a struggle with OCD that he wrote about a few months ago in hopes it would help other players(and it is really common among athletes): https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/colin-wilson-nhl-hockey-mental-health

To this day, I honestly have no damn clue how I scored 20 goals in the 2014–15 season. I played each game, for years, in this state of panic because my OCD had begun to take over every element of my life. I went from obsessing over injuries off the ice to thinking I was going to get hurt every time I stepped on it — thinking I'd get hurt every shift. Or feeling like my skates weren’t tied properly. I’d have to stay in the locker room and tie them over and over again, as tight as I could, until my hands bled. And that was just a short-term fix. For years, I felt like I was skating on stilts because my skates never felt right. But I just got into this terrible state, like a petrified animal trapped in a corner. I was almost unconscious on the ice, in a way.

I was so energized after games that I couldn’t sleep, and the lack of sleep led me down a road that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I truly mean that.

Flyers win game #1 !!!!!
Always nice to start off with a win especially against a hated rival. Eleven Flyers scored a point that's a TEAM effort. Second game of a total of 7 against the Pens is Friday.

My Red Wings totally sucked last night.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draws-record-tv-ratings-on-opening-night/c-320321426

The return of the NHL and the first games played in the Scotia North Division drew record TV ratings in the United States and Canada on Wednesday.
The opening game of the season, between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers, averaged 972,000 viewers on NBCSN in the United States, making it the network's most-watched regular-season game ever.
NBCSN's opening night tripleheader, which included the Chicago Blackhawks against the Tampa Bay Lightning and the St. Louis Blues against the Colorado Avalanche, averaged 774,000 viewers, making it the network's most-watched multigame opening night on record.

Great stuff.

Flyers win first two.
Penquins lose first two.

2021 not looking too bad so far.
Hopefully Coots isn’t out for too long. That would suck.

Carter Hart is on fire so far.

Their do-it-all first-line center Sean Couturier will be out a minimum of two weeks with a costochondral separation, which is when one of the ribs comes apart from the sternum.

Damn...:(

Flyers win first two.
Penquins lose first two.

2021 not looking too bad so far.
Hopefully Coots isn’t out for too long. That would suck.

Carter Hart is on fire so far.
I am not sure if the Flyers are doing great, or the Pens just really suck, or some combination of both. I suspect it is partly both, but about 3/4 that the Pens just suck.

I am not sure if the Flyers are doing great, or the Pens just really suck, or some combination of both. I suspect it is partly both, but about 3/4 that the Pens just suck.

Flyers Penguins rivalry is such that no matter how sucky they are, beating each other takes on a special meaning.

Where is everyone? @tres borrachos @CanadaJohn
@Hari Seldon @Threegoofs

who else was hockey fan?
Your Flyers look terrific so far - I've been waiting about five years for them to play to their potential and maybe this is the year they put it all together. Much as my Leafs had difficulty over the years with the Broad Street Bullies and the loss of a young Bernie Parent to the Flyers, I always loved their games - loved that kind of hockey war much more than the stick play and shoot outs that seem so prevalent lately.

Enjoy the new season everyone - might be some surprises with the new divisional set up and exclusive play - not sure I'm a big fan of playing 9 and 10 games against the same 6 teams over the year, but it is what it is and better than no season at all.

Your Flyers look terrific so far - I've been waiting about five years for them to play to their potential and maybe this is the year they put it all together. Much as my Leafs had difficulty over the years with the Broad Street Bullies and the loss of a young Bernie Parent to the Flyers, I always loved their games - loved that kind of hockey war much more than the stick play and shoot outs that seem so prevalent lately.

Enjoy the new season everyone - might be some surprises with the new divisional set up and exclusive play - not sure I'm a big fan of playing 9 and 10 games against the same 6 teams over the year, but it is what it is and better than no season at all.
Hi CJ, how you doing sir? How do you see the Canadian division shaking out? It looks to me to be maybe the most competitive division out there this year.

Back
Top Bottom