• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:279]NHL 2021

@Hari Seldon

First loss on home ice all season, to a team that played less than 24 hours earlier, and got HAMMERED 9-0 in that game????

You might have bigger problems than you think.

@Hari Seldon

First loss on home ice all season, to a team that played less than 24 hours earlier, and got HAMMERED 9-0 in that game????

You knew they would come out strong. Isles had won 9 in a row but just lost their Captain. They still came back from a 3 goal deficit. Also missing Dobson who has been playing really well. Its not like they are 1 and 6 over their last 7.

@Hari Seldon

Not as ugly as the Ranger game but close. Isles could easily have scored 3 or 4 more. Monday should be interesting.

Not as ugly as the Ranger game but close. Isles could easily have scored 3 or 4 more. Monday should be interesting.

Flyers have serious problems. Mostly defense. Coots being out hurts.

On top of that Hart has shit the bed. Not sure what’s happened, but it’s not getting any better.

Flyers will NOT make playoffs this year.
May not even be close.

What’s with Florida being the new Mecca for hockey in the US? Both of their teams lead the NHL in point. Holy crap! Times have changed.

I see the Blackhawks have crashed back down to earth, as expected. I see Nashville is no longer a power either. That run sure was short-lived.

Vegas, otoh, is on a 5-game winning streak and sits comfy on top in the West. Man, they have to be the most successful expansion team ever.

What’s with Florida being the new Mecca for hockey in the US? Both of their teams lead the NHL in point. Holy crap! Times have changed.

I see the Blackhawks have crashed back down to earth, as expected. I see Nashville is no longer a power either. That run sure was short-lived.

Vegas, otoh, is on a 5-game winning streak and sits comfy on top in the West. Man, they have to be the most successful expansion team ever.
I was listening to hockey radio on Sirius and they were making fun of Buffalo. Apparently in the rankings the Kracken are rated above them.

I was listening to hockey radio on Sirius and they were making fun of Buffalo. Apparently in the rankings the Kracken are rated above them.
Sabres have been bad since Pat LaFontaine went out with head injures...when was that--late in the 1990's? I see it's not really that bad, as they went to the playoffs in 2010, and actually won a series or two in 2005. But, they have perennially terrible.

Here's a pretty good video for any old school Bruins fans out there.

The quote in the clip above that rings true: We all lived hockey in those days. Just like Boston never watched Patriots, few people in Chicago watched the Bears in the early 70's. But, everyone watched the Blackhawks. Our whole family gathered around the TV to watch their games.

On top of that Hart has shit the bed. Not sure what’s happened, but it’s not getting any better.

May not even be close.
Flyers look like they just finished a tough series with Isles. Hart has looked terrible most of the time I have seen him but to be fair the defense has also been lacking. Elliot looked good last game but Sorokin is the real deal. He gives up some rebounds but in Trotz's system he has been rock solid since a terrible emergency start when Varly got hurt in warmups. I'm sorry but the Stars black uni's with lime green trim is ugly.

Flyers look like they just finished a tough series with Isles. Hart has looked terrible most of the time I have seen him but to be fair the defense has also been lacking. Elliot looked good last game but Sorokin is the real deal. He gives up some rebounds but in Trotz's system he has been rock solid since a terrible emergency start when Varly got hurt in warmups. I'm sorry but the Stars black uni's with lime green trim is ugly.
Saw every post in the thread tonight, and the end of the 2nd period of the Flyer loss when they gave away two more goals. I agree the schedule is a grind and that the Flyers were tired. Saw some poor passing. Saw the standings.

Hindsight is 20/20; 5 games against each team in your division and 3 against each of those in one other division such as North/East would have given 57 games and been more interesting. Covid’s changed everything, as with my sport of College/HS wrestling.

I first saw the Hawks during 1966/67 when in 8th grade. There were a couple of tough winters in a row then so I learned to skate and play.

Ref banned for dubious comment made about issuing a weak penalty last night.

I saw that on facebook and I was listening to sports radio on my way home. Apparently he was retiring after this year anyway. WHat a dumbass.

Lots of other good articles in that link also, such as Montreal postponing 4 games this week due to Covid, the first of the season for the North division.

May not even be close.
My condolences.

For....saying the quiet part out loud?
Pretty much. Even if you think a team deserves a make up call you don't shout it into a live mike. Also it would be nice to see a game called by the rules, cross checking is a joke.

Flyers crashing and burning. Not shocked. They’re scoring goals, but giving up more.

Carter Hart struggling enough to basically become the #2 goalie behind Elliott.

Defense is killing the Flyers. Provorov can’t play 60+ minutes a game on both sides of the ice.

Flyers are sorely lacking in solid and consistent defense in front on their goalies and it’s killing them.
I'm shocked with the way Hart has been playing lately - seems, ever sense his name came up as Canada's likely starting goalie in next year's Olympics he's gone bad - of course, Billington, Canada's second choice, has also gone bad - now the talk is back to Price - God help us!!

Last edited:
I never understood why Hockey didn't catch on in the States like it does in Canada. Sure it has a huge following in places like Chicago and Detroit. Some of those fans are diehard. Many are my old friends from when I lived in those cities. We lived and breathed hockey as kids in Chi-town and Michigan. The park district even froze rinks for us--and, if there was no ice, we played street hockey. This was in the 70's.

By the 80's, participation fell off, much like playing sandlot baseball did. Now, hockey is a niche sport, something a few kids play in organized leagues. Nobody plays pick-up games like we did back then. Literally nobody.
Hockey is too expensive these days for many families, here in Canada as well - the cost of equipment and ice time is prohibitive for many. Unlike soccer and basketball, you can't just throw a puck out and let kids have fun running around. Lots of businesses and other groups help defray the costs, but a family can look to spend $5,000 and up a year just to get their kid in a league - and then, if you add in tournaments, etc. you could easily double that.

The surprise team for me is Vegas. Huge following and pretty good team, right out of the gate. Columbus here in Ohio has a decent local fan base, but I doubt they draw much interest from the rest of the state, not enough to carry their own network like the Blackhawks and Red Wings can do.

Boston is a hell of a hockey town. So, I guess I forgot to mention them.
To my knowledge the wild have not had a single home game that was not sold out...

Minnesota is called the "state of hockey" for a reason...

From pond hockey, high school, college and the pro's Minnesota is the home of hockey...

The vast majority of the members of the "miracle on ice" team were from Minnesota...

Saw every post in the thread tonight, and the end of the 2nd period of the Flyer loss when they gave away two more goals. I agree the schedule is a grind and that the Flyers were tired. Saw some poor passing. Saw the standings.

Hindsight is 20/20; 5 games against each team in your division and 3 against each of those in one other division such as North/East would have given 57 games and been more interesting. Covid’s changed everything, as with my sport of College/HS wrestling.

I first saw the Hawks during 1966/67 when in 8th grade. There were a couple of tough winters in a row then so I learned to skate and play.
When you have the US/Canada border closed and quarantines in place, it's impossible for the North division to play anything other than interdivisional games here in Canada - as a result, all divisions have only interdivisional games. Gets tiring seeing the same old same old all the time and I hate the three games in a row series with the same team outside of the playoffs. But it's better than nothing!

Looks like a clean hit on Couture, but they threw Carter in the box.

Must have been interference since it was a tad late.

Back
Top Bottom