• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:279]NHL 2021

No betting, but I was right. Sadly.

Flyers are done. I believe I might have calked that as a probable outcome early in this thread too.

Well, looks like Detroit won the trade deadline, Mantha to Washington for Vrana, Panik, 1st and 2nd round picks.

Leafs' nation in uproar once again as their team shows zero character and professionalism waltzing through another four game losing streak culminated by a pathetic effort against a Canucks team that hasn't played in more than three weeks, decimated by illness, who showed more character and professionalism than the pampered Leafs. Extremely hard to like this team sometimes even for those of us who will always be die hard fans.

This game being compared to the loss last year to the Zamboni goalie!!

Regardless of the record, which has been second best in the league this past month, Leafs look far more like pretenders than contenders - this is the type of effort that leads into another early exit from the playoffs. The Campbell run in net is pretty much history as he's now on a personal three game losing streak and not providing any game changing saves. Leafs need Andersen back. Regardless of who's in net, the attitude towards their job needs to change for a lot of floaters.

Leafs' nation in uproar once again as their team shows zero character and professionalism waltzing through another four game losing streak culminated by a pathetic effort against a Canucks team that hasn't played in more than three weeks, decimated by illness, who showed more character and professionalism than the pampered Leafs. Extremely hard to like this team sometimes even for those of us who will always be die hard fans.

This game being compared to the loss last year to the Zamboni goalie!!

Regardless of the record, which has been second best in the league this past month, Leafs look far more like pretenders than contenders - this is the type of effort that leads into another early exit from the playoffs. The Campbell run in net is pretty much history as he's now on a personal three game losing streak and not providing any game changing saves. Leafs need Andersen back. Regardless of who's in net, the attitude towards their job needs to change for a lot of floaters.
That's a shame. I was hoping to see a resurgence in Toronto.

I haven't seen a lot of hockey other that the NY division. I'm watching the Stars and Redwings. What is the deal with an all white uniform with green and black trim including white helmets. Anyone see the movie Tron? Not a fan. Yuk.

I haven't seen a lot of hockey other that the NY division. I'm watching the Stars and Redwings. What is the deal with an all white uniform with green and black trim including white helmets. Anyone see the movie Tron? Not a fan. Yuk.
I haven’t seen a lot of hockey other than the Blackhawks.

I really haven’t seen any good hockey this year at all.

Boo hoo ... Leading division by 5 points even after a “losing streak”.... cry me a river.., ;)

Boo hoo ... Leading division by 5 points even after a “losing streak”.... cry me a river.., ;)
I don't disagree with you, but as a Flyers' fan you should be able to appreciate having your team consistently, year after year, show great promise and then chuck it in a rush to the golf courses. At least here in Ontario, this year, the golf courses are stupidly closed at this point due to COVID restrictions. Pretty much nothing else to do here so might as well continue playing hockey.

The wild are quietly sneaking up on everybody...

Well at east I hope...

Couple of observations:

Weakest division in the league this year has to be the West where three teams have secured playoff spots, and have for a while, whereas in all other divisions no one had secured a playoff spot until the Hurricanes did so in the South a day or so ago. West has so many weak teams that the top feasts on regularly.

Most competitive division in the league this year has to be the East where no spot is determined or secured. Boston and Pittsburgh seem to be the two teams hottest at the moment which should have Rangers fans wondering what if they'd started the season a little better.

While many are claiming that home ice advantage isn't too great a goal this year due to COVID restrictions on attendance, I have to wonder how far the Islanders will go when they have one of the worst, if not the worst, road records of any team in the playoffs. I can't remember the last sub-500 road team to do well in the playoffs. Here in the North where there are no fans allowed anywhere it's perhaps less of an issue.

Still haven't heard anything about how the final four games will be played and where they will be played.

Flyers - Will veterans disappoint again? Will Carter Hart dazzle, or find the sophomore slump?

Are you forgetting Islanders were in Conference finals last year?

I see Caps, Bruins, Isles taking three places. The forth place is a toss-up for Flyers, Penguins and then a wild card perhaps from Rangers/Devils/Sabres.

So for anyone wondering if the 2021 Flyers are a big threat, I’d say about as threatening as they’ve been in last few years. Might luck into the playoffs 4th spot, might not.

They can still easily snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Flyers mathematically eliminated from playoffs.

Not shocked. See quotes above.

Prior to Covid the Flyers were top 5 in entire NHL.

Covid hits. Niskonen retired.

Everything else pretty much stays the same.

How’s this happen?

Flyers mathematically eliminated from playoffs.

Not shocked. See quotes above.

Prior to Covid the Flyers were top 5 in entire NHL.

Covid hits. Niskonen retired.

Everything else pretty much stays the same.

How’s this happen?
When Hart lost it, Flyers were toast - could bounce back next year, but this year is a massive disappointment.

When Hart lost it, Flyers were toast - could bounce back next year, but this year is a massive disappointment.
The defense in front of Hart/Elliott/Lyons was awful. Dreadful.

I won’t blame Hart for even half of it. It was mostly the team in front of him.

The defense in front of Hart/Elliott/Lyons was awful. Dreadful.

I won’t blame Hart for even half of it. It was mostly the team in front of him.
That would explain it - we don't see much of the other divisions/teams this year which makes it hard to know who's good and who isn't.

That can change fairly quickly - Leafs had one of the worst defensive records in the league last year and now they're in the top ten in most defensive categories with some pretty good young talent fighting to get in the lineup.

Caps/Rangers, 4 minutes in, 72 PIMs.

Caps/Rangers, 4 minutes in, 72 PIMs.
NHL looks bad here - Rangers don't look much better. As someone on the radio here in Toronto said the other day, about time Wilson grows up and takes the next step in his career, like Brad Marchand has done in Boston. Marchand was an idiot, often suspended, for a long time, until he finally decided that part of his career was over and now he still has the reputation but hasn't been suspended or in trouble for three years and he's letting his talent speak instead of his meathead. Wilson would be wise to learn that lesson before his career is cut short.

@CanadaJohn yeah. Wilson is too good a player to do that stupid shit. And his punching a guy in the back while he was facedown on the ice should have been 1 to 2 games with his history.

And the Rangers are going to get a suspension out of that game...

Looking forward to the playoffs, but Leafs specialty teams worry me going forward. Like last year, the Leafs power play has mysteriously disappeared as the season has gone on and their penalty kill has gotten progressively worse as well. Hoping for the best, but don't see how a team with bad specialty teams can succeed in the playoffs for any length of time.

Good luck to all who have a team in the playoffs - have fun and enjoy.

Hoping with a new arena next year, Islanders fans will come out in decent numbers to support their team - they deserve it!!

Leafs get Montreal in the first round. First time in 42 years that the two original six teams have met in the playoffs. Too bad nobody is allowed to attend games here, so what should be a raucous series won't be as exciting with no fans. Leafs look like a far superior team and have handled the Canadiens fairly easily in the regular season, but this is the Leafs and the playoffs, so anything is possible!

Fearless predictions:

Boston in 6
Pittsburgh in 5

St. Louis in 7
Vegas in 6

Tampa in 5
Florida in 5

Toronto in 5
Edmonton in 5

Fearless predictions:

Boston in 6
Pittsburgh in 5

St. Louis in 7
Vegas in 6

Tampa in 5
Florida in 5

Toronto in 5
Edmonton in 5
Washington over Boston
Isles over Pens

Colorado over StL.
Vegas over Wild in what could be a really fun series

Tampa over Florida in another fun series. I will probably prioritize watching this series.
Canes over Preds. It might not be Carolina's year(tho it could be), but they are going to be good for awhile yet, and will get the cup soon.

Montreal over Toronto, because it is Toronto
Oilers over Jets(though I have no confidence at all in that pick).

Back
Top Bottom