• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:279]NHL 2021

Looks like a clean hit on Couture, but they threw Carter in the box.

Must have been interference since it was a tad late.

Isn't a penalty, no matter what the referee fantasized. Couture had the puck and was shooting it into the LA zone at the time he was hit - awkward hit does not equate into penalty. Referee looks and sees player on the ice and decides must be a penalty - perfect example of a referee wanting to be bigger than the game and players. Since it's LA and San Jose, it will be forgotten in a day at most.

Leafs remain resilient, bending but not breaking and not giving up first place in the division, at least not yet. Early points are always important. Losing six of seven didn't knock them out of first because of those early points - now have won three in a row and just might be able to pull away again.

Leafs remain resilient, bending but not breaking and not giving up first place in the division, at least not yet. Early points are always important. Losing six of seven didn't knock them out of first because of those early points - now have won three in a row and just might be able to pull away again.
This is when I used to get into it in past years, before the playoffs. I’ve got NBCSN which has the Bruins losing 1-0 after two and the Hawks on later. Nice tripping penalty Subban at the end of the pd.

Reviewed some hockey history back to the Maroons. Too bad Quebec couldn’t make 8 teams in the North. Travel has to be tough on the North. The East got a break on travel.

I see your MLB team is the Dunedin Blue Jays.

This is when I used to get into it in past years, before the playoffs. I’ve got NBCSN which has the Bruins losing 1-0 after two and the Hawks on later. Nice tripping penalty Subban at the end of the pd.

Reviewed some hockey history back to the Maroons. Too bad Quebec couldn’t make 8 teams in the North. Travel has to be tough on the North. The East got a break on travel.

I see your MLB team is the Dunedin Blue Jays.
Don't forget the Tampa Bay Raptors!!

Basketball and Baseball have their entire seasons played on the road.

Leafs repel another first place contender with a terrific road game in Winnipeg. Leafs have been excellent on the road this year with one of the best records in the league - lack of fans in the stands probably has a significant impact on that record.

Jack Campbell (Soupy) wins another game for the Leafs - that's 8-0 this season, one short of the Leafs' record for most consecutive wins by a goalie currently held by Jacques Plante and Felix Potvin - Campbell was a nice, cheap pick up from the Kings in the off season - former first round pick by Dallas. Makes for an interesting discussion by Leaf honchos about what to do when Andersen is healthy again. Andersen a free agent after this year, likely looking for a contract in the $5 to $6 million per over 5 or so years and Campbell a very cheap alternative for a cap strapped team. Many in Leaf Nation are not big fans of Andersen and his spotty playoff record. Here's hoping Campbell stays healthy and keeps playing at least until he loses, if not longer, and into the playoffs. His .950 plus save percentage and 1.38 GAA should be enough to keep him in the net long term. Lots og goalies having off years this year so when you have one who's playing well, ride that horse!!

If it were up to me I’d be selling big time...
Good game. You brought in a goon. First time I have seen Johnston lose a fight. Also lost him the rest of the game. Hart played well. Isle didn't have a lot of shots but had some real good high chance opportunities. The hit by the goon on JGP should have been a major. The two handed takedown on Barzal after the defensemen lost his stick was funny. Even the shootout was tight. On to the next one.

Good game. You brought in a goon. First time I have seen Johnston lose a fight. Also lost him the rest of the game. Hart played well. Isle didn't have a lot of shots but had some real good high chance opportunities. The hit by the goon on JGP should have been a major. The two handed takedown on Barzal after the defensemen lost his stick was funny. Even the shootout was tight. On to the next one.

Goon?? :rolleyes:

You should be concerned that the Flyers took Isles to shoot out.

They showed him go over to Johnston in warm ups. I guess this was planned to get the Flyers going. You guys have some good players. Its a matter of playing disciplined and to some extent goal tending which you got tonight. Did you see Nelson back check on the short handed breakaway or JPG on the 5 on 3. Big test on Tuesday against the Caps.

Another nice road win for the Leafs - best road record in the league so far.

What's happening in Vancouver is a disgrace. May never know who caused the outbreak or why, but pretty irresponsible for basically the entire team, players and staff, to be infected or in close contact to someone positive for COVID. I can understand it much more in the US, but here in Canada pretty much everything is in lockdown and has been so for pretty much the entire NHL season and longer. Leafs still have some games to play against the Canucks, in Vancouver as well, and I'll be pretty angry if the Leafs end up with COVID issues as a result of playing games against the Canucks. Vancouver is pretty much out of the playoff picture, so would like to see the league shut them down and forfeit all their remaining games. Montreal had a minor outbreak, couple of players, and postponed a few games, but nothing like Vancouver.

I appreciate that in no sports, to date, have their been any incidents of transfer of the virus between players during games but having to play games in Vancouver's rink is a risk not worth taking when the playoffs are just around the corner.

The Isles were playing great and then the goon had to go and push Casey head first into the boards. The guy belongs on line with Clarke & Schultz or maybe the Hansans. Terrible 5 minute PP and the Flyers took it from there. The kill really gave them a lift. First goal was a gift but they played better until the end of the 3rd. Crapshoot when you get to OT & a shootout.

Islanders hanging tough and winning games they should be winning. Do they have enough scoring to be successful in the playoffs?

Islanders hanging tough and winning games they should be winning. Do they have enough scoring to be successful in the playoffs?
Pullock needs a goal in the worst way. Nice move into offensive zone, around the goal and assist but can't score. We will see, they are in every game.

Pullock needs a goal in the worst way. Nice move into offensive zone, around the goal and assist but can't score. We will see, they are in every game.
I make the comment reflecting on the Leafs last year, with a ton of scoring power, couldn't buy a goal against the Blue Jackets. Regardless of how well you play defensively, you can't win unless you score.

Another nice road win for the Leafs - best road record in the league so far.

What's happening in Vancouver is a disgrace. May never know who caused the outbreak or why, but pretty irresponsible for basically the entire team, players and staff, to be infected or in close contact to someone positive for COVID. I can understand it much more in the US, but here in Canada pretty much everything is in lockdown and has been so for pretty much the entire NHL season and longer. Leafs still have some games to play against the Canucks, in Vancouver as well, and I'll be pretty angry if the Leafs end up with COVID issues as a result of playing games against the Canucks. Vancouver is pretty much out of the playoff picture, so would like to see the league shut them down and forfeit all their remaining games. Montreal had a minor outbreak, couple of players, and postponed a few games, but nothing like Vancouver.

I appreciate that in no sports, to date, have their been any incidents of transfer of the virus between players during games but having to play games in Vancouver's rink is a risk not worth taking when the playoffs are just around the corner.

Good grief, 21 Vancouver Canucks with the COVID. I understand they were having team medical going into players' house giving some IV fluid they were so dehydrated.

So this kind of destroys that BS this virus only affects the old and those with other medical conditions. Not too many people in better shape than a NHL player.

But at this point their season is over.

The Isles were playing great and then the goon had to go and push Casey head first into the boards.
yeah, I expect as much from you.

that wasn’t a boarding hit. It wasn’t illegal. Should not have been a penalty at all and most certainly not a game misconduct.

refs this year are absolute crap.

But whatever...

Flyers beat Bruins today in regulation. On home ice. Probably means they’ll lose to Sabres tomorrow. On home ice.

that wasn’t a boarding hit. It wasn’t illegal. Should not have been a penalty at all and most certainly not a game misconduct.

But whatever...

Flyers beat Bruins today in regulation. On home ice. Probably means they’ll lose to Sabres tomorrow. On home ice.
Not sure what you were looking at but he hit him right in the back. Goon play by the moron.

(164) Samuel Morin 5 Minute Major Against Casey Cizikas - YouTube

Good grief, 21 Vancouver Canucks with the COVID. I understand they were having team medical going into players' house giving some IV fluid they were so dehydrated.

So this kind of destroys that BS this virus only affects the old and those with other medical conditions. Not too many people in better shape than a NHL player.

But at this point their season is over.
Should be over, but their facility reopened today and they are scheduled to restart their games on Friday and the Leafs are rescheduled to play a couple of games in Vancouver at the end of April. Vancouver had played a ton of games prior to the illnesses so they aren't a lot behind schedule but it will be a hectic last month for them with very few off days - Montreal has a similar circumstance in catch up games.

Leafs make a deal.

Leafs pick up a nice rental player for the playoffs with Nick Foligno joining the team in a week or so once clearing quarantine upon entering Canada. Looks like they're serious this year.

"Soupy" Campbell wins his 11th straight to start the season, setting a new NHL record in the process. Big part of the Leafs' latest run of 11 straight games with points, 6 straight wins, and a 10-0-1 record since leaving a pretty awful March. Makes the Leafs' decision regarding Andersen's future after this season a little clearer. Campbell under contract for another year at $1.6 million as opposed to Andersen at $5 million plus and perhaps more in a new contract. Andersen has been really good for the Leafs, but you can't get past his inability to win big games for the Leafs in the playoffs, losing series deciding games four straight years.

Leafs make a deal.

I'm not sure of the details, but San Jose was also involved with a fourth rounder going their way. Perhaps Columbus sent him to San Jose and then on the Toronto so that the Leafs shed some salary/cap space along the way. Regardless, I'm glad they didn't trade anyone from their current roster because I like the way they've been playing and they seem to be a good group.

I'm not sure of the details, but San Jose was also involved with a fourth rounder going their way. Perhaps Columbus sent him to San Jose and then on the Toronto so that the Leafs shed some salary/cap space along the way. Regardless, I'm glad they didn't trade anyone from their current roster because I like the way they've been playing and they seem to be a good group.
Speaking of trades. Palmieri with #1. Hard to spot without the beard. The bumper position on the PP.

Speaking of trades. Palmieri with #1. Hard to spot without the beard. The bumper position on the PP.
Unlike the Leafs, Isles appear to be trying to establish some offense for their playoff run - Leafs just tinkering around the edges, similar to the LIghtning last year.

Foligno a good depth move for the Leafs - third or fourth line agitator similar to Simmonds. I remember his father Mike coming to the Leafs in the early 1990's and contributing to the Leafs last serious run at a Cup that was destroyed by the imfamous Kerry Fraser non-call against Wayne Gretzky and the Kings - league desperately wanted the Kings in the finals against Montreal and they were totally overmatched whereas the Leafs/Montreal final would have been a classic.

Also remember father Mike giving me nightmares - worst injury I've ever seen in hockey - broke his leg on a hit, skate caught in a rut and the broken bone pierced through his hockey sock. Clearly, there have been worse injuries, even a death, but that injury has stuck with me for about 30 years.

But whatever...

Nice call - hope you bet the house on it!!!

Back
Top Bottom