• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL - 2016/2017 Season [W:290]

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Time to start a new thread for the upcoming NHL season.

Draft coming up in a few days with the Leafs picking 1st along with 10 other picks in other rounds.

Leafs traded a couple of their picks - 30th, first round, from Pittsburgh and a second rounder from San Jose - to acquire rights to Anahiem goalie Frederik Andersen and promptly signed him to a 5 year, $27.5 million contract, securing their goaltending for the next 5 years, allowing them to concentrate on getting some back end help in the draft and in free agency. Very good move by the Leafs, in my view, because Bernier has proven he's not up to the task of being a number one and they don't have a prospective number one in the minors. Anderson has proven he's capable and without goaltending, as we saw this year, all the hard work of the offense and defense gets lost and the team's attitude suffers.

If the Leafs now find a way to sign Stamkos, and Matthews is the real deal as first pick, along with Marner moving up, they could be instant contenders for a playoff spot next year.

Have fun guys and enjoy your team's new year. Unlike last year, I'm looking forward to spending some time following the Leafs.

Last edited:

Draft coming up in a few days with the Leafs picking 1st along with 10 other picks in other rounds.

Leafs traded a couple of their picks - 30th, first round, from Pittsburgh and a second rounder from San Jose - to acquire rights to Anahiem goalie Frederik Andersen and promptly signed him to a 5 year, $27.5 million contract, securing their goaltending for the next 5 years, allowing them to concentrate on getting some back end help in the draft and in free agency. Very good move by the Leafs, in my view, because Bernier has proven he's not up to the task of being a number one and they don't have a prospective number one in the minors. Anderson has proven he's capable and without goaltending, as we saw this year, all the hard work of the offense and defense gets lost and the team's attitude suffers.

If the Leafs now find a way to sign Stamkos, and Matthews is the real deal as first pick, along with Marner moving up, they could be instant contenders for a playoff spot next year.

Have fun guys and enjoy your team's new year. Unlike last year, I'm looking forward to spending some time following the Leafs.

It was not a bad move, though I think the price in picks was a bit high, and the contract longer than I am comfortable with(how many goalies last at number 1 for 5 years any more? Seems almost none), but not really objectionable.

Expect the rights to Stamkos to be traded soon(this week probably). If Tampa is going to lose him, they are going to want to get something back. They won't get alot, but not much is better than nothing.

It was not a bad move, though I think the price in picks was a bit high, and the contract longer than I am comfortable with(how many goalies last at number 1 for 5 years any more? Seems almost none), but not really objectionable.

Expect the rights to Stamkos to be traded soon(this week probably). If Tampa is going to lose him, they are going to want to get something back. They won't get alot, but not much is better than nothing.

Andersen has a pretty good history in the league now and Anahiem had to choose whether or not they wanted to resign him at about what the Leafs gave him and lose Gibson in the LV entry draft or stick with the younger Gibson. The price was higher than what might have been expected because other teams wanted him badly too. As for the draft picks the Leafs gave up, both of them became diminished assets as both Pittsburgh and San Jose made the playoffs and then went to the finals - they became bottom round picks and not as valuable. If they'd both been mid round picks, as originally expected, the Leafs probably wouldn't have given up both.

As for Stamkos, Tampa has played their hand very poorly on this one. First, they snubbed Stamkos by signing Cooper to a long term deal when everyone knows those two don't get along and Cooper's handling of other players is now festering as well. As soon as Cooper was extended, Stamkos leaving was guaranteed and Tampa should have traded him then. As for trading his rights now, they will get virtually nothing if anything. If the Leafs are sure they can sign him, they're not going to give up anything and if other teams figure he's coming to the Leafs, they won't give up anything. Only way it works is if the deal is conditional on signing and that won't work is Stamkos' rights are traded someplace he doesn't want to go and Stamkos is not likely inclined to make it easy on Yzerman. Funny story here the past couple of weeks has Yzerman ticked at Cooper.

The Sabres are apparently going all-in on Stamkos.

The Sabres are apparently going all-in on Stamkos.

I hadn't heard that one - interesting. There are a lot of southern Ontario born players in the NHL who love living in the suburbs of Buffalo - people are great and the area is really nice - Darryl Sittler, as an example, retired and lives there while still working with and for the Leafs.

I'm a homer so I still think the Leafs have a distinct advantage in signing him and with Matthews coming and Andersen signed long term, the Leafs look closer to turning it around than the Sabres do at least in my opinion. A lot more legacy opportunities for Stamkos in Toronto too, being a big part of bringing a Cup to Toronto after about 50 years if he and the team could do it. He'd be God like in Toronto for life if that happened.

But if Stamkos went to Buffalo that wouldn't bother me - Buffalo is a really good sports town and they deserve to get a winner one day soon. Always good when the Sabres and Leafs are competitive and have a good rivalry too.

Las Vegas it is. Here are the expansion draft rules:

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise
* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21.

All that sounds reasonable, this however I do not like:

2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

That's right, the Vegas team has a decent chance at winning the draft lottery...

That's right, the Vegas team has a decent chance at winning the draft lottery...

My god.

One team can't work in the desert southwest, so what's the solution? Two teams!

People in Quebec City are probably fuming over this. As well they should.

NHL owners sold the farm to Las Vegas for a $33 million cheque. When you consider the cost of the Arizona team just last year, this expansion franchise is paying more than 3 times that amount.

Will be interesting to see if this new franchise is more successful, both on the ice and off. Atlanta learned that if your team sucks every year people will eventually stop coming to the games. I guess this is an attempt to avoid that same problem. And remember, other professional leagues will be watching to see if the NHL succeeds there before they make the move themselves - perhaps the business interests in Las Vegas will find a way to ensure the NHL team succeeds in order to ensure other leagues look favourably on going there too.

NBA likely would be next considering that it seems to be a given these days that new arenas can't survive without both winter sports as tenants.

My god.

One team can't work in the desert southwest, so what's the solution? Two teams!

People in Quebec City are probably fuming over this. As well they should.

Quebec City really isn't all that upset over this move at this time. Nobody in Quebec City could afford a $500 million US entry fee for a new franchise, particularly at today's exchange rate for the Canadian dollar. QC will be looking for a relocation within the eastern conference - much cheaper - or a new franchise in a few years when the Canadian dollar is in better shape, but that will depend on a team going to Seattle or Portland because they can't unbalance the divisions further.

Speaks volumes that less than 10 days after the Penguins win the SC, you've started a new thread about next season.

Not sure why the NHL has such a hard-on for the Penguins.
Perhaps Lemieux has some "compromising photos/video" of certain people in the organization?

Speaks volumes that less than 10 days after the Penguins win the SC, you've started a new thread about next season.

Not sure why the NHL has such a hard-on for the Penguins.
Perhaps Lemieux has some "compromising photos/video" of certain people in the organization?

Penguins have had one of the best teams in the league since they won their Cup in 2009 and they've been a disappointment since. When arguably the best player in the league the past decade finally wins another Cup it's big news - kind of like the Peyton Manning story in the NFL this past year.

Penguins have had one of the best teams in the league since they won their Cup in 2009 and they've been a disappointment since. When arguably the best player in the league the past decade finally wins another Cup it's big news - kind of like the Peyton Manning story in the NFL this past year.

If the fans, outside of Pittsburgh, were interested it would be big news. That's not what I was asking.

I was asking why the NHL seems to circle-jerk around Pittsburgh.

I mean look, not two weeks after Penguins win you're already talking next season.

Most hockey fans, outside of Pittsburgh, are sick-to-f'n-death of them.

Ovechkin winning SC would have been bigger news, but the NHL doesn't seem to get all googley-eyed over Washington.

If the fans, outside of Pittsburgh, were interested it would be big news. That's not what I was asking.

I mean look, not two weeks after Penguins win you're already talking next season.

Ovechkin winning SC would have been bigger news, but the NHL doesn't seem to get all googley-eyed over Washington.

Me starting this new thread has ZERO to do with Pittsburgh or the NHL league office or any other conspiracy you may be considering. I appreciate that as a Flyers fan you've got a permanent bug up your ass regarding anything Pittsburgh - I'll bet you hate the Steelers too - but that's got nothing to do with me.

I started this new thread because the Leafs just made a significant acquisition and the entry draft starts tomorrow night - that's the beginning of the new season.

People start talking about the next season even before the current one is done. Due to rules on trades and negotiating, news doesn't really start till after the finals though. Even Pittsburgh fans are talking about next season, how they will manage the cap, what to do with 2 number 1 goalies, and so on.

This will be an interesting season, with the Las Vegas entry draft coming. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens leading into the trade deadline with teams that are close to winning it all. Being able to expose big contracts in the entry draft may cause some to pick up such players from retooling teams and it will also cause some teams to make these players available, rather than buy them out. This could be the most volatile trade season in the league in a very long time.

Also wanted to note the P K Subban rumours we're hearing here. I'm not surprised. At the start of last season I opened the NHL thread with a comment that Montreal would come to regret giving Subban $9 million a year over 7 years. Montreal due to pay PK $11 million this year, $9 million on the cap, and that's an anchor around the neck of a team with very little talent other than their goaltender. Word here is that Edmonton is interested in PK and willing to trade their #4 pick in the draft and some young talent and Montreal is interest in the 4th pick so they can take Pierre-Luc Dubois, the only French Canadian in the top ranks.

This will be an interesting season, with the Las Vegas entry draft coming. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens leading into the trade deadline with teams that are close to winning it all. Being able to expose big contracts in the entry draft may cause some to pick up such players from retooling teams and it will also cause some teams to make these players available, rather than buy them out. This could be the most volatile trade season in the league in a very long time.

Also wanted to note the P K Subban rumours we're hearing here. I'm not surprised. At the start of last season I opened the NHL thread with a comment that Montreal would come to regret giving Subban $9 million a year over 7 years. Montreal due to pay PK $11 million this year, $9 million on the cap, and that's an anchor around the neck of a team with very little talent other than their goaltender. Word here is that Edmonton is interested in PK and willing to trade their #4 pick in the draft and some young talent and Montreal is interest in the 4th pick so they can take Pierre-Luc Dubois, the only French Canadian in the top ranks.

On PK, I think the Habs where not expecting the salary cap to stay so flat. Salary cap this year 3 or 4 mil higher, and his contract not so bad.

On PK, I think the Habs where not expecting the salary cap to stay so flat. Salary cap this year 3 or 4 mil higher, and his contract not so bad.

You think PK Subban is the best defenseman in the league? If you do, his salary is ok. He's maybe top ten in the league, but being paid the highest of any defenseman makes his contract an albatross. I love the guy and would love to have him on the Leafs, since he's from here and he and his family live here, but never at that price point.

BTW, he'll never play for the Leafs because Babcock doesn't like the way he plays.

You think PK Subban is the best defenseman in the league? If you do, his salary is ok. He's maybe top ten in the league, but being paid the highest of any defenseman makes his contract an albatross. I love the guy and would love to have him on the Leafs, since he's from here and he and his family live here, but never at that price point.

BTW, he'll never play for the Leafs because Babcock doesn't like the way he plays.

I think his salary will be surpassed before long.

I think his salary will be surpassed before long.

I think Shane Weber now makes more, but $11 million for Subban this year is way out of wack, in my view. I guess his salary goes up then down in the course of the contract so eventually it will be good value but the cap hit will be $9 million each year and that's a problem for a team that can't score and without Price is a lottery team.

Good day for the Wings. They gained 7.5 mil cap space(traded Datsyuk's cap hit), gave up 16th pick, got 20th and a third round pick. Going into today, teams where asking for a top prospect to take Datsyuk's cap hit. Detroit will make a big play for Stamkos, backup plan is Lucic.

Keep raising there cap until there's another lockout. Woohoo!

Against all protests to the contrary, Montreal unloaded PK Subban on the Nashville Predators for Weber. Nashville manages to free up cap space, if I get the contracts right, even if they will still be paying Subban about the same in real dollars this year and for a longer period of time.

Wonder if PK is rethinking his donation of $10 million to a local Montreal hospital.

I'm guessing Weber won't be too happy ending up in whiny-ass Montreal, a far inferior team, out of the anonymity of Nashville.

Good day for the Wings. They gained 7.5 mil cap space(traded Datsyuk's cap hit), gave up 16th pick, got 20th and a third round pick. Going into today, teams where asking for a top prospect to take Datsyuk's cap hit. Detroit will make a big play for Stamkos, backup plan is Lucic.

Reported here that Stamkos is looking at Toronto, Tampa, Boston, in that order. We'll know soon. Also reported that Tampa and Stamkos may be massaging a sign and trade so Stamkos can get an 8 year deal and a better cap hit to the team that takes him, with Tampa getting something out of it.

Also reported that Lucic was touring around Edmonton yesterday, getting a close up look at their new arena. Taylor Hall traded today to New Jersey, so maybe Edmonton is freeing up some cap space to sign Lucic.

Reported here that Stamkos is looking at Toronto, Tampa, Boston, in that order. We'll know soon. Also reported that Tampa and Stamkos may be massaging a sign and trade so Stamkos can get an 8 year deal and a better cap hit to the team that takes him, with Tampa getting something out of it.

Also reported that Lucic was touring around Edmonton yesterday, getting a close up look at their new arena. Taylor Hall traded today to New Jersey, so maybe Edmonton is freeing up some cap space to sign Lucic.

What I saw for Stamkos, in order, Tampa, Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto. Rumors are running amok. Lucic to Oilers sounds likely.

Back
Top Bottom