• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL - 2016/2017 Season [W:290]

Reported here that Stamkos is looking at Toronto, Tampa, Boston, in that order. We'll know soon. Also reported that Tampa and Stamkos may be massaging a sign and trade so Stamkos can get an 8 year deal and a better cap hit to the team that takes him, with Tampa getting something out of it.

Also reported that Lucic was touring around Edmonton yesterday, getting a close up look at their new arena. Taylor Hall traded today to New Jersey, so maybe Edmonton is freeing up some cap space to sign Lucic.

Well, looks like Stamkos may be staying in Tampa. Maybe. 8 years 8.5 mil per. But the big surprise: Subban to Nashville for Webber. What...in...the...****...was....Montreal...thinking....

Well, looks like Stamkos may be staying in Tampa. Maybe. 8 years 8.5 mil per. But the big surprise: Subban to Nashville for Webber. What...in...the...****...was....Montreal...thinking....

I posted the Subban one earlier along with the Taylor Hall trade - haven't heard anything definitive about Stamkos yet, other than he's definitely not staying in Tampa - Tampa is only a sign and trade or nothing.

Edit: Looks like Stamkos has reported it on Twitter, although the contract isn't signed as yet.

I'm really surprised - I guess no state income tax in Florida beats high income taxes in Ontario. On $8.5 million, that's in excess of $2 million, so if the Leafs weren't offering more than $10.5 to $11 million he probably figured it wasn't worth the media hassle here.

It will be a big stink here in Toronto if money was the reason he didn't sign here.

Last edited:
I posted the Subban one earlier along with the Taylor Hall trade - haven't heard anything definitive about Stamkos yet, other than he's definitely not staying in Tampa - Tampa is only a sign and trade or nothing.

Edit: Looks like Stamkos has reported it on Twitter, although the contract isn't signed as yet.

I'm really surprised - I guess no state income tax in Florida beats high income taxes in Ontario. On $8.5 million, that's in excess of $2 million, so if the Leafs weren't offering more than $10.5 to $11 million he probably figured it wasn't worth the media hassle here.

It will be a big stink here in Toronto if money was the reason he didn't sign here.

Oh yeah, you did mention it. My bad. On Stamkos, if it is not sign and trade, I wonder if he overestimated his market value. No one was going to give up any flexibility to sign him.

Against all protests to the contrary, Montreal unloaded PK Subban on the Nashville Predators for Weber. Nashville manages to free up cap space, if I get the contracts right, even if they will still be paying Subban about the same in real dollars this year and for a longer period of time.

Wonder if PK is rethinking his donation of $10 million to a local Montreal hospital.

I'm guessing Weber won't be too happy ending up in whiny-ass Montreal, a far inferior team, out of the anonymity of Nashville.

Nashville ends up with close to same cap hit, but higher actual cost(Weber contract was front loaded). They also get out of the contract sooner(5 I think years left for Subban, 10 left for Weber). The big thing tho is Subban is better offensively and defensively(according to fancystats). I just do not know what Montreal was thinking. They cannot be that tight for cash.

Against all protests to the contrary, Montreal unloaded PK Subban on the Nashville Predators for Weber. Nashville manages to free up cap space, if I get the contracts right, even if they will still be paying Subban about the same in real dollars this year and for a longer period of time.

Wonder if PK is rethinking his donation of $10 million to a local Montreal hospital.

I'm guessing Weber won't be too happy ending up in whiny-ass Montreal, a far inferior team, out of the anonymity of Nashville.

Wow.

I think the Preds just improved, unless Subban really IS a cancer in the clubhouse.

Why does it always have to be the Hawks division that gets the better end of trades?

Oh yeah, you did mention it. My bad. On Stamkos, if it is not sign and trade, I wonder if he overestimated his market value. No one was going to give up any flexibility to sign him.

Nashville ends up with close to same cap hit, but higher actual cost(Weber contract was front loaded). They also get out of the contract sooner(5 I think years left for Subban, 10 left for Weber). The big thing tho is Subban is better offensively and defensively(according to fancystats). I just do not know what Montreal was thinking. They cannot be that tight for cash.

Talk here is that Stamkos intended to re-up in Tampa all the time and he and his agent were simply trying to call Yzerman's bluff by using Toronto and others to raise the offer out of Tampa. If that's the case, only Stamkos lost badly - one, because Yzerman outmaneuvered him and two, because a lot of people will lose respect for the guy. Here in Toronto we don't think much about hockey players who hide out in places like Tampa because they don't like the scrutiny and pressure of being accountable to a rabid media and fan base.

As for Subban, Montreal is being crucified for trading him - I think they were lucky to unload him and get a better player back - but word was that ownership in Montreal insisted on that big contract, against the wishes of the GM and coach, so I guess the GM and coach finally got their way and got rid of him. The GM looks bad, in my view, because he made it sound like Subban was only moving if the offer was for half another team's players/prospects/picks.

The real head scratcher is Hall moving for basically nothing. Unless the Oilers think the Finnish kid they drafted 4th and/or Lucic are better than Hall, it's a stupid move to trade the guy with the 5th highest points totals for his position in the league for a defenseman who's maybe in the top 100 at his position. Chiarelli looks really bad with this one, Seguin, and as the Kessel trade turned out in the end.

Wow.

I think the Preds just improved, unless Subban really IS a cancer in the clubhouse.

Why does it always have to be the Hawks division that gets the better end of trades?

I don't think either team is better unless, as you say, Subban was a problem in the locker room. As with all things Montreal, they operate on emotion, going back to Patrick Roy's tirade and trade. Montreal has had limited talent and bad coaching for the better part of 2 decades but they always over value all their players.

Time to start a new thread for the upcoming NHL season.

Draft coming up in a few days with the Leafs picking 1st along with 10 other picks in other rounds.

Leafs traded a couple of their picks - 30th, first round, from Pittsburgh and a second rounder from San Jose - to acquire rights to Anahiem goalie Frederik Andersen and promptly signed him to a 5 year, $27.5 million contract, securing their goaltending for the next 5 years, allowing them to concentrate on getting some back end help in the draft and in free agency. Very good move by the Leafs, in my view, because Bernier has proven he's not up to the task of being a number one and they don't have a prospective number one in the minors. Anderson has proven he's capable and without goaltending, as we saw this year, all the hard work of the offense and defense gets lost and the team's attitude suffers.

If the Leafs now find a way to sign Stamkos, and Matthews is the real deal as first pick, along with Marner moving up, they could be instant contenders for a playoff spot next year.

Have fun guys and enjoy your team's new year. Unlike last year, I'm looking forward to spending some time following the Leafs.

I'm bummin a bit. My Isles lost Nielsen, Okposo and Martin, a big part of the heart and soul of the team. We did sign Ladd and Chimera plus we have a bunch of young forwards that might be ready soon. You will have fun watching Martin, he hits anything that moves. I think the Isles will be going more with speed and skill on the 4th line. Clutterbuck can score and with Casey and a fast skilled winger they should be productive as a 4th line. But they won't be same without Martin.

I'm bummin a bit. My Isles lost Nielsen, Okposo and Martin, a big part of the heart and soul of the team. We did sign Ladd and Chimera plus we have a bunch of young forwards that might be ready soon. You will have fun watching Martin, he hits anything that moves. I think the Isles will be going more with speed and skill on the 4th line. Clutterbuck can score and with Casey and a fast skilled winger they should be productive as a 4th line. But they won't be same without Martin.

Isles have been one step away for a few years now - I've expected better things from them the past 3 years, at least, but they just didn't seem to get over the hump. Now that my Leafs lost out on Stamkos, the Tavares to the Leafs rumours are starting to percolate, so get used to a lot of media attention around your great player and what his plans may be for free agency.

I like the Martin signing for the Leafs, but a lot of money and term for the guy - hopefully, the Canadian dollar and thus the salary cap start to go up in the next year or two so there's more room to maneuver.

Canes trade for Teuvo Teravainen and Bryan Bickell for 2 draft picks, and yesterday signed Victor Stalberg and Lee Stempniak.

More importantly, I'm excited about the addition of Sebastian Aho to the Canes this season.

Hockey on TV, life is good. Team North America looking good tonight.

Yer out! Hahahahahahahahahahhhahhahahahahahhhahha.

Yeah, it was painful to watch. Slow team vs fast team, usually does not go well for the slow team. Plus Byfuglien was a Canadian plant. He was clearly playing for them, not us...

Yeah, it was painful to watch. Slow team vs fast team, usually does not go well for the slow team. Plus Byfuglien was a Canadian plant. He was clearly playing for them, not us...

Sad because this team was put together to compete with the Canadians. Backfired big time.

Sigh... looks like Canada is going to win another championship. We're sorry we're the best. It gets old.

Ho hum.

Canada wins again in dramatic fashion, no less. I think they wanted Europe to feel better about themselves, didn't really try until the last 5 minutes of the game and still pulled it off. It's getting pretty old and boring. Sorry to all other hockey countries for being so dominant. We don't really mean it. It's just that we're naturally just that good. Like maple syrup.

photobomb.jpg

A week to go...

My Coyotes are playing really well in the pre-season which means we'll miss the playoffs again. :(

Stanley-Stein-25oz.-Hockey-Beer-Mug-004.jpg

do-want-meme.jpg

Good luck to everyone who's a fan of NHL hockey - hoping it's an interesting and fun year for all your interests. Not sure what will happen here in Toronto - most saying the Leafs will probably suck again, as part of the plan, but many also having high hopes for their young guns and a new, solid goaltender. Whatever happens, it's a great time of year.

Austin Matthews scores the first goal of the NHL season giving the Leafs the first lead of the season. It's all downhill from here :)

Austin Matthews scores the first goal of the NHL season giving the Leafs the first lead of the season. It's all downhill from here :)

He is going to be good though. He has that smoothness that can't be taught.

Yay, hockey on. Even if it is those lame Chicago teams.

He is going to be good though. He has that smoothness that can't be taught.

Matthews leading scoring in the NHL - a legitimate hat trick to start the game, and we're only early in the second period - setting the pace to eclipse Gretzky's records :2razz:

Matthews, 4 goals through period 2 - only player in league history to ever score at least 4 goals in their first NHL game. First game, and already in the record books. Dude is going to own Toronto, and large parts of Canada, and he will likely take the Blue Jays off the front pages at least tomorrow morning.

Now, if Frederik Anderson could stop a puck or two, the Leafs might win this game.

Back
Top Bottom