• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

NH to restrict eminent domain

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The great State of New Hampshire (whose motto is "Life Free or Die) is set to put into its constitution a prohibition on the use of eminent domain to appropriate land for private developers. Both houses of the General Court (the state legislature) have approved almost identical bills - one will have to be chosen by the two Houses. This was done in response to the blatent violation of private property rights upheld by the Supreme Court in which New London, CT took land on the waterfront and gave it to private developers.

This was an unconsionable abuse of the powers of government. 2/3 of NH voters will have to vote in favor. I am pretty confident 2/3 of NH voters will vote in favor of this.

Nice to see my native State take the right stand on this issue, though NH-native David Souter voted with the majority on the Supreme Court on this.

After the high court's eminent domain ruling, activists tried to seize Supreme Court Justice David Souter's 200-year-old New Hampshire farmhouse in retaliation for voting with the majority.

I like that.

This is one of the subjects with which I disagree with the libs on the Court. I am glad New Hampshire is doing this, and I think you stand a good chance of getting this passed. What homeowner cannot relate to this? To think that someone could kick me out of my house for some stupid private development? Ummm, I don't think so.

It's things like this that make me wish that some of these people on the Supreme Court would be able to relate to people who aren't as fortunate as they. This applies to criminal issues as well. Most of them have never had a brush with the law, so their view on how people are treated when they are arrested or stopped and searched and things like that are not based on any personal experience.

ludahai said:
The great State of New Hampshire (whose motto is "Life Free or Die) is set to put into its constitution a prohibition on the use of eminent domain to appropriate land for private developers. Both houses of the General Court (the state legislature) have approved almost identical bills - one will have to be chosen by the two Houses. This was done in response to the blatent violation of private property rights upheld by the Supreme Court in which New London, CT took land on the waterfront and gave it to private developers.

This was an unconsionable abuse of the powers of government. 2/3 of NH voters will have to vote in favor. I am pretty confident 2/3 of NH voters will vote in favor of this.

My state is currently in the process of doing something similar.Right now my city has a moratorium on all eminent domain for privite development unitl the issue has been decided at the state level.

Nice to see my native State take the right stand on this issue, though NH-native David Souter voted with the majority on the Supreme Court on this.
After the high court's eminent domain ruling, activists tried to seize Supreme Court Justice David Souter's 200-year-old New Hampshire farmhouse in retaliation for voting with the majority.

I like that

I think everyone of those rats who voted to allow eminent domain for private development should have their homes confiscated.

Back
Top Bottom