• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NFL Offseason News 2021

That is all until general managers get busy with player agents. Stay tuned for all franchise tags, contract transactions, etc.

As if the quarterback insanity could not get any higher . . .

Yes, I know this is the beginning of smokescreen season, but the writer did a great job explaining why we should not brush off this one like when Big Ben previously pondered retirement.

It's possible Colbert's comments are meant to soften Big Ben in a move toward a team-friendly solution to the contract quandary. The GM noted that the Steelers' financial situation takes precedence in all decisions.

"Then we're making guesstimates as to what we can do to put the best team together for our sake and for Ben's sake," he said. "What kind of team can he anticipate being around him if we decide we can move forward together?"

The door isn't closed on Big Ben returning, but Colbert's language certainly wasn't as forceful or glowing as we've heard from the long-time GM in previous seasons.

"Ben Roethlisberger did a lot of really good things last year," Colbert said. "We anticipate that he could still do really good things going forward. Hopefully we can figure out how to do what's best for the organization and for Ben. Hopefully he'll be able to see that.

I totally agree with the fans my favorite team heard. The Jaguars lost part of their identity when they switched to black as the primary uniform color in 2014.

This is a really bad year to be a free agent or a veteran player with little or no guaranteed money left of their contract.

This is a really bad year to be a free agent or a veteran player with little or no guaranteed money left of their contract.

Allen Robinson might get the "tag and trade" treatment that we have seen other teams do with players who want long-term deals, but that would be a big loss for the Bears.

One definite though is Dak Prescott will not price his way out of Dallas. The Cowboys are prepared to tag him again if they can't agree on a long-term deal by a certain date regardless of his recovery timeline.

Ndahmukong Suh will get paid by somebody, even if he does not get his wish to stay in Tampa. The problem is COVID-19 caused the salary cap to drop this year, so more players than usual have to accept temporary pay cuts.

Allen Robinson might get the "tag and trade" treatment that we have seen other teams do with players who want long-term deals, but that would be a big loss for the Bears.

One definite though is Dak Prescott will not price his way out of Dallas. The Cowboys are prepared to tag him again if they can't agree on a long-term deal by a certain date regardless of his recovery timeline.

Ndahmukong Suh will get paid by somebody, even if he does not get his wish to stay in Tampa. The problem is COVID-19 caused the salary cap to drop this year, so more players than usual have to accept temporary pay cuts.
I'd be looking for a 1 year deal, if I were a FA this year. It could easily backfire, but the 2022 cap should be much higher.

I'd be looking for a 1 year deal, if I were a FA this year. It could easily backfire, but the 2022 cap should be much higher.

That could benefit the player long term, but who wants to be a one-year rental? JPP left the Giants after saying he is done signing one-year deals, which they made him sign because they were literally the "prove it" type for a guy who lost parts of his dominant hand.

One pending free agent to watch is Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was serviceable with the Dolphins but could not keep his starting job. If Brian Flores is tired of alternating quarterbacks and decides there is no reason to further slow down Tua Tagovailoa's development, the old bearded man with sunglasses should get calls from several teams including his Jets.

Reportedly for a second and a third round pick. High upside, low risk trade for the Colts if they can "fix" him. If not, they really didn't give up that much.
Weird is seeing both Philly SB quarterbacks bounce toward the edge of the league. Is whatshisname (Nick Foles--I had to google it...lol) even still in the league?

Reportedly for a second and a third round pick. High upside, low risk trade for the Colts if they can "fix" him. If not, they really didn't give up that much.
Luck then Rivers retired on the Colts. At least Wentz isn't ready to retire. Barring injury of course..

Philly will draft a QB this year? Or stick with Hurts? Either way Philly is in rebuilding mode..

Weird is seeing both Philly SB quarterbacks bounce toward the edge of the league. Is what'ss his name (Nick Foles - I had to Google it LOLl) even still in the league?

Nick Foles was supposed to be Jacksonville's godsend, but broke his right collarbone on the tenth play of their first game. The next time Foles played, he was a statue in the pocket. I missed Gardner Minshew's mobility for two weeks.

The Bears have not said anything about Foles yet. I will not be surprised either way.

Last edited:
Philly will draft a QB this year? Or stick with Hurts? Either way Philly is in rebuilding mode..

Maybe we saw the guy who will back up Jalen Hurts in Week 17, but Doug Pederson never really explained why Joshua Dobbs played during the second half. We do know Hurts is going to be the starter.

Nick Foles was supposed to be Jacksonville's godsend, but broke his right collarbone on the tenth play of their first game. The next time Foles played, he was a statue in the pocket. I missed Gardner Minshew's mobility for two weeks.

The Bears have not said anything about Foles yet. I will not be surprised either way.
Salary cap wise, it will be hard for the Bears to cut Foles.

Luck then Rivers retired on the Colts. At least Wentz isn't ready to retire. Barring injury of course.

Philip Rivers thought about retiring before his Chargers contract expired. Nobody was surprised about his decision.

It was interesting that Rivers decided to retire to coach high school football like he could not wait to get started. He sounded like the school had already hired him.

Last edited:
Philip Rivers thought about retiring before his Chargers contract expired. Nobody was surprised about his decision.
I thought Rivers was going to retire with the Chargers. But the fact is the Colts haven't had much luck(no pun intended) with QB's lately..

I thought Rivers was going to retire with the Chargers. But the fact is the Colts haven't had much luck(no pun intended) with QBs lately.

It would have been better if he had decided to retire with the Chargers, but we saw Peyton Manning retire as a Bronco after spending most of his career with the Colts.

Wouldn't cutting Foles be better for Chicago's salary cap? They have seen his is not the long-term answer.
From what I've read, the dead money from cutting Foles would be larger than his salary against the cap if he's on the roster.

From what I've read, the dead money from cutting Foles would be larger than his salary against the cap if he's on the roster.

I have read the term "dead money" a lot but never figured out if it is better for the team or player.

The 2022 conditional second-round pick becomes a first-round selection if Wentz plays 75 percent of the snaps in 2021, or 70 percent and the Colts make the playoffs, Garafolo added.

The most interesting part of this deal is Philadelphia's extra 2022 pick will be higher than the 2021 pick. AFAIK usually it is reversed in multi-pick trades.

I have read the term "dead money" a lot but never figured out if it is better for the team or player.
If you cut or trade a player, all the guaranteed money left on his contract counts against the teams salary cap for that year.

For example, Wentz had a little over $33 million in guaranteed money left on his contract, which will count against the Eagles salary cap for the 2021 season.

Not so fast about the early concerns every team's salary cap will drop this year.

Back
Top Bottom