• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NFL gane suspended player given CPR

When did he last take the vaccine or booster?

From his doctor:

"I recently administered Damar Hamlin's Covid booster on 12/26, and as a medical professional, I can assure the public he passed all screenings with flying colors. I am in contact with the UCMC staff and will provide any assistance to them."

I was very specific. Nobody had a cardiac arrest known as commotio cordis during a professional football game except Damar Hamlin.
Key is professional. "Commotio cordis is the leading cause of fatalities in youth baseball in the United States, with two to three deaths per year.[12]" It has happened at non-professional levels, but is statistically rare because the circumstances are so unlikely. The fact that it has a medical name means it is not unheard of.

Last edited:
I noticed in his uncle's statement that he also suffered lung damage. That is likely from CPR. The process of compressing the chest manually frequently results in ancillary injury, most often broken ribs. Sometimes broken ribs will puncture lungs, and sometimes the lungs can be bruised or ruptured from being over-inflated. But, it's better than staying dead.

Key is professional. "Commotio cordis is the leading cause of fatalities in youth baseball in the United States, with two to three deaths per year.[12]" It has happened at non-professional levels, but is statistically rare because the circumstances are so unlikely. The fact that it has a medical name means it is not unheard of.

I said football game. Why are you talking about baseball?

I said football game. Why are you talking about baseball?
Seriously, are you not paying attention? I was merely pointing out that it is not as uncommon as you are portraying. It happens in pony league football, too. Read the friggin' cites, please.

I noticed in his uncle's statement that he also suffered lung damage. That is likely from CPR. The process of compressing the chest manually frequently results in ancillary injury, most often broken ribs. Sometimes broken ribs will puncture lungs, and sometimes the lungs can be bruised or ruptured from being over-inflated. But, it's better than staying dead.

I was worried Damar Hamlin's condition got worse the first time I re ad his uncle's statement about lung damage. You have to watch or read the complete interview because his uncle also said he is down to 50% on the ventilator, which is an improvement.

Seriously, are you not paying attention? I was merely pointing out that it is not as uncommon as you are portraying. It happens in pony league football, too. Read the friggin' cites, please.

I could not have been more clear. It never happened at any NFL game before. Period. There is no reason to tell me I am wrong because you know I am right.

I was worried Damar Hamlin's condition got worse the first time I re ad his uncle's statement about lung damage. You have to watch or read the complete interview because his uncle also said he is down to 50% on the ventilator, which is an improvement.
He's still in critical condition, but I expect he'll show improvement today. What is most worrying to me, actually, is the time it took to get him to the hospital. He was apparently defibrillated on the scene, but according to that interview had another arrest at the hospital. I'm also worried about what lung injury he suffered and how long his brain was deprived of oxygen.

I could not have been more clear. It never happened at any NFL game before. Period. There is no reason to tell me I am wrong because you know I am right.
I'm not a pro football historian, so I don't know whether that is true or not. I was merely filling in the details about the likely cause of his cardiac arrest. It is not as rare as portrayed.

Professional athletes - especially in football - get very detailed medical examinations. That is not true at most levels of amateur athletics (although it should be). College sports usually include team doctors and medical support staff. But incidents like Hamlin's are exceedingly rare, so even experienced staff have likely never encountered it. It was probably a fluke occurrence. These things happen, and there is not much that can be done to prevent them.

A few seasons ago, the Seahawks lost two players to neck injuries in very short order. Those were extremely scary. Cam Chancellor retired; Ricardo Lockette retired; as did Chris Carson, all from neck injuries. Those were probably preventable, we just don't know how, yet.

I'm not a pro football historian, so I don't know whether that is true or not. I was merely filling in the details about the likely cause of his cardiac arrest. It is not as rare as portrayed.

In all of NFL history, only one player died during a game. His diagnosis was a heart attack caused by a blood clot, not cardiac arrest. If any previous NFL player suffered commotis cordis - the probable cause based on what happened immediately before his collapse - it is not recorded in league archives. I am right until proven wrong about that.

In all of NFL history, only one player died during a game. His diagnosis was a heart attack caused by a blood clot, not cardiac arrest. If any previous NFL player suffered commotis cordis - the probable cause based on what happened immediately before his collapse - it is not recorded in league archives. I am right until proven wrong about that.
Hamlin didn't die, so where's the comparison? I don't know why you are being so persnickety about this.

Hamlin didn't die, so where's the comparison? I don't know why you are being so persnickety about this.

Exactly - there is no comparison. But you want me to believe commotis cordis happened to a National Football League player before without any proof.

Exactly - there is no comparison. But you want me to believe commotis cordis happened to a National Football League player before without any proof.
Maybe you don't realize this, but you ceased making any sense about 3-4 posts ago. Do you have a point? Unlike a football game, the goalpost are apparently not fixed, here.

Maybe you don't realize this, but you ceased making any sense about 3-4 posts ago. Do you have a point? Unlike a football game, the goalpost are apparently not fixed, here.

I( made my point extremely clear. You don't want to accept it.

I( made my point extremely clear. You don't want to accept it.
I'm not sure you ever did. I don't need to accept anything. I don't care enough and it is unimportant. I'm sorry your feelings were apparently hurt.

She ceased making sense 3-4 years ago. Engaging is pointless.

Last edited:
I can get persnickety over a point that is important. I don't know why this has resulted in an extended back-and-forth over something so trivial. It puzzles me (and irritates me a little).

I'm just worried about how the kid is faring. My only intention in even posting was adding some information about a condition I have some familiarity with. As I said, the technical name, commotio cordis, is something that I only learned as a result of the incident, in my EMT training it was merely referred to as "traumatic V-Fib". Indeed, at that time CPR always started with a "precordial thump". We didn't have access to defibrillators on scene.

I've often said football players should play both ways. The game would be a little less dangerous. A safety would be less vicious about exploiting the angles he gets on receivers if he's going to be catching the ball on the next series. Same with running backs/linebackers. It's the principal that keeps hockey players (sorta) honest.
If my memory serves me correctly the one-platoon system was in effect with only one player allowed to be substituted as offence turned to defense!
For us it was always the QB substituted for a defensive back probably that was the case for most teams. That was 1960-61! Injuries at that time
were very minimal compared to what is currently happening! It would definitely work to cut down serious injuries.

In the pros however during that time almost every team were allowed mass substitution of offensive and defensive units. Chuck Bednarik of the
Eagles was praised as the last 60 minute man around 60 & 61. He severely injured Frank Gifford playing defense in that era!

If people think I don't make sense, it is totally their fault for not trying to understand me.

I have only been a DP member since Trump the Terrorist was impeached for bribery BTW.

If people think I don't make sense, it is totally their fault for not trying to understand me.
I learned a long time ago, as a public speaker, that it is the speaker's responsibility to be understandable, and not the audience's responsibility to try to make sense of the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom