• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NFL gane suspended player given CPR

It is extremely important that everyone knows the difference between postponed and canceled and that everyone uses the correct word, whichever one is accurate. If you use the word canceled, you do NOT mean it was postponed. It is that simple.
FFS, give it up already! 🤡

always-something-rolling-eyes.gif

The Bills are playing on the 8th and the Bengals on the 9th. Both teams are likely to play on the 14th/15th. Making them play another game in the intervening time is not feasible.

They can do whatever they want, unless you have some plan for stopping them.

TCU and Georgia are playing on January 9.

The makeup game would be played on January 12 or 14th. Then Wild Card Weekend is postponed one week.

This fundraiser was initially established to support a toy drive for Damar's community, sponsored by the Chasing M's Foundation.

However, it has received renewed support in light of Damar's current battle and we can't thank all of you enough. Your generosity and compassion mean the world to us.

If you would like to show your support and contribute to Damar's community initiatives and his current fight, this is the place to do so. This is the only current fund that is being used by the Hamlin Family.

Again, thank you for your thoughts, prayers and generous support during this time.

Most likely commotio cordis. An errant blow to the chest that caused an arrhythmia - V-fib, or ventricular fibrillation. It's rare, but known. Essentially, the heart just flutters, pumping no blood. CPR and immediate defibrillation (which they did) gets heart back in rhythm. But he could also have a heart contusion, so he's not out of the woods.

A-fib and V-fib are not rare. Neither are often fatal and would have been detected at any basic physical at training camp.

Easiest detection is electrical BP systems malfunction because they can't accurately count the beats.

I have A-fib. Had it most of my life, played hockey etc.

A-fib and V-fib are not rare. Neither are often fatal and would have been detected at any basic physical at training camp.

Easiest detection is electrical BP systems malfunction because they can't accurately count the beats.

I have A-fib. Had it most of my life, played hockey etc.
Very different thing, my friend. Traumatic v-fib is a specific thing, not related to underlying conditions. I throw PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) frequently. My brother has a-fib. Not the same thing.

Basically what happened, I THINK, is that his heart was "knocked out" by getting thumped in the right place at the right time.1672792958932.png
V-fib is often fatal and has to be treated within minutes. It can spontaneously correct, but more often requires defibrillation. If no intervention within 3 minutes, permanent damage starts to occur.

I looked it up. It's called Commotio cordis. We called it traumatic v-fib.

Last edited:
Wrong. They may well cancel the game.
Incredibly unlikely. This isn't the Bears and Texans with nothing on the line. This one game can affect the top 3 seeds in the AFC.

I think the more likely outcome is that the game is postponed until the week after Week 18, then the playoffs are postponed by a week, and the empty weekend between the conference championships and the Super Bowl is eliminated, possibly the Pro Bowl is either postponed or cancelled outright.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass about this. I just had some experience with this in my distant past. (It paid my bills in college.)

I'm worried for this 24 year old, talented young man in the prime of his life. He may not be able to play football again, something he has devoted his life to. I'm hoping he has a full recovery. That's very possible. It all depends on how serious his injury was.

Incredibly unlikely. This isn't the Bears and Texans with nothing on the line. This one game can affect the top 3 seeds in the AFC.

I totally agree. The only reason they have to play this game is for playoff seeding purposes. If the matchup was completely meaningless, I doubt the NFL and NFLPA would consider making it up.

I think the more likely outcome is that the game is postponed until the week after Week 18, then the playoffs are postponed by a week, and the empty weekend between the conference championships and the Super Bowl is eliminated, possibly the Pro Bowl is either postponed or canceled outright.

The NFL definitely will not cancel the Pro Bowl, but I would expect all Bills players who were invited to stay out of it - except maybe Stefon Diggs.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass about this. I just had some experience with this in my distant past. (It paid my bills in college.)

I'm worried for this 24 year old, talented young man in the prime of his life. He may not be able to play football again, something he has devoted his life to. I'm hoping he has a full recovery. That's very possible. It all depends on how serious his injury was.

I don't care if he can't play football again. I just want him to be healthy and not have any heart, lung, or brain damage.

Don't forget his mom, who rode in the ambulance with him, and family members who did not attend the game. I also feel bad for the Bengals. Some visited Damar Hamlin at the hospital, obviously including Tee Higgins. This is not just about the Bills.
So true. I think every ball player is taking pause after that and gosh, I really feel for any parent watching that happen to their son. There or not they're seeing a lot of replays of it.

Dorrian Glenn, Hamlin’s uncle, told a CNN reporter on-site Tuesday night that Hamlin was resuscitated twice — once on the field and once at the hospital. He also said Hamlin has lung damage but called it “a good sign” that Hamlin is breathing using only 50 percent of a ventilator, down from 100 percent Monday, according to a Syracuse.com report.

“He’s fighting,” Jordon Rooney, Hamlin’s friend and marketing representative, said during a “Good Morning America” appearance. “He’s a fighter.”

Hamlin received CPR on the field from medical professionals who were able to restart his heartbeat in a life-or-death scenario. Rooney said Hamlin was “awake” before he was “sedated” to put a breathing tube in his throat at the hospital.
Board-certified cardiologist Dr. Marc Cohen — who is not involved in Hamlin’s care — told The Post that there is a vulnerable period within each minute-long cardiac cycle that lasts only a few milliseconds, when the heart is most susceptible to degeneration from a sudden physical impact.

“That hit had to occur at a certain point in time that was only five milliseconds long,” said Cohen, chairman of the department of medicine at Newark-Beth Israel Medical Center. “If that hit occurred one millisecond after or before, this may not have happened.”

One common medical explanation for the scene unlike any other ever nationally broadcast in an NFL game is commotio cordis, but that is considered more an instantaneous reaction that struggles to explain how Hamlin rose to his feet immediately after the hit before collapsing.

“There is a time in the cycle of the heart where we are at risk. If we were to tap the heart, we can cause the heart to go into ventricular fibrillation,” Cohen said. “More likely than not, what happened is he got up and his rhythm became chaotic. That may have taken a few seconds to occur.”

NYPost, 3 hours ago. The good news is, they are apparently weaning him from the ventilator.

HangLow, anyone who read about the Chuck Hughes tragedy can see immediately it was not the same thing.

If fans are in that situation, they have the right to ask for refunds. But there is zero chance they will automatically get their money back.

As for completing the game, that absolutely must happen. Baltimore needed Buffalo to beat Cincinnati after losing to Pittsburgh. It is impossible to name an AFC North winner without finishing the Bills/Bengals game. Also, what about the Chiefs, who need a Bills loss in addition to their own win to clinch the AFC"s lone bye week? It would be totally unfair to them as well for Buffalo to not play 17 complete games.
the game will not be resumed or replayed...
if push comes to shove...
the game ended at 7 to 3 when the kid got hurt...
i don't even remember who had the 7 or the 3... oh well...

The game will not be resumed or replayed. If push comes to shove...the game ended at 7 to 3 when the kid got hurt.

It certainly will be made up or resumed because it must be. Until that game is finished, there can't be any AFC playoff games.

I don't even remember who had the 7 or the 3. Oh well.

The Bengals scored a touchdown on their opening drive. Then the Bills scored a field goal on their opening drive.

It certainly will be made up or resumed because it must be. Until that game is finished, there can't be any AFC playoff games.
The Bengals scored a touchdown on their opening drive. Then the Bills scored a field goal on their opening drive.
Cincy won the game 7 to 3... end of the story... game over...

With what happened to Damar Hamlin, I'd like to offer my perspective, as I'm praying for this young man.

I've seen some vets posting that they've seen or been through worse and Hamlin and his teammates are making more than we ever did and yada yada.... Even had some conversations with a few. The majority saying these things are short timers, which I expected.

The difference is we in the military, especially Army and Marine Corp, signed up knowing we could die in combat. It was drilled into us in Basic Training and every training event we attended. The object was always to make the enemy die for his country, not die for yours.

Football players aren't Soldiers, they don't sign up to die on the field. Yeah, they know significant injury and life altering injuries are on the table, but death isn't. Yeah, they make a lot more money than Soldiers, but ultimately they're entertainers, who might expect to be injured, but not to die, providing entertainment.

So anyone saying that the game should have continued doesn't get it. It isn't fair that athletes should be compared to Soldiers. Entertainment isn't war.

sorry M'Lady, I thought you said that no one had died in a NFL game... cool...

I was very specific. Nobody had a cardiac arrest known as commotio cordis during a professional football game except Damar Hamlin.

Back
Top Bottom