• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NFL Flyovers

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Probably more geared to the vets.....who gets a little misty at sports venue military flyovers?

There was one recent NFL game where the flyover was done by a solitary U-2, and I found it underwhelming. There was no commentary from the broadcast crew either.

The “missing man” formation (not usually done at sports events,) is particularly touching.

Probably more geared to the vets.....who gets a little misty at sports venue military flyovers?

There was one recent NFL game where the flyover was done by a solitary U-2, and I found it underwhelming. There was no commentary from the broadcast crew either.

The “missing man” formation (not usually done at sports events,) is particularly touching.

Realistically though, should the military be spending the money on a show for the NFL?

Bet we won't hear from the "keep politics out of football" crowd on this one.

Realistically though, should the military be spending the money on a show for the NFL?

These flyovers count towards the normal required amount of hours a pilot has to fly per year anyway. Whether it be for NFL or just flying over Kansans, it counts the same. All in all, not a big deal.

Better use in these instances than AF1 usage; tried not to be political.........:shrug:

Any time I get to see military aircraft I'm down. As a kid we used to go to airshows all the time, I have probably seen the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds a dozen times a piece. Even had books of their that I would get pilot signatures in.

Doesn't seem like they do airshows as much anymore, sad. Going to a Thunderbirds show literally saved my life. Ironically it also ended my dreams of being a pilot.

Last edited:

Not sure whether this is true or not, but a high level Air Force person told me that these types of flyovers are part of routine training/practicing, and the flyovers are part of the military budget, so there is no additional cost absorbed by tax payers.

The militarism on display at NFL games is not for the vets (that's just lip service) it is a recruiting tool. It is done for the young men in the audience, future cannon fodder and PTSD candidates in the Global War On Terror.

Not sure whether this is true or not, but a high level Air Force person told me that these types of flyovers are part of routine training/practicing, and the flyovers are part of the military budget, so there is no additional cost absorbed by tax payers.

Should it be routine though. It's part of the budget, but why? Why are taxpayers paying for that?

Should it be routine though. It's part of the budget, but why? Why are taxpayers paying for that?

It's my understanding the military budget for training/practicing is already set ( fly time hours allotted for training ), so the military decided to use part of that budgeted training time for events such as this one. Part of it is to allow the public to see the jets in action...a patriotism thing if you will..At least that is what I was told.

All of those flyovers and veteran appreciations are funded by us. The practice really began in earnest after 9/11. Probably comes out of the pocket that pays for recruitment ads, but I'm not sure.

The militarism on display at NFL games is not for the vets (that's just lip service) it is a recruiting tool. It is done for the young men in the audience, future cannon fodder and PTSD candidates in the Global War On Terror.

GWOT = global war on terror
AND/OR Great Wall Of Trump.

According to Pentagon records, the DoD paid the NFL $6 million between 2011 and 2014 with 16 different teams getting a cut of the proceeds. This money was spent on National anthem ceremonies, Air Force flyovers, buying soldiers tickets so the military gets face-time on the Jumbotrons and TV networks. The DoD has contracts with all the major professional sports organizations - NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, NBA, and NASCAR. Bottom line, it's all about recruiting. On average, 16 million people watch an average NFL game. Many of those viewers are young and more inclined to visit a military recruitment office.

Army Navy football game has a great recruiting value. It's about USMA and USNA but it's about the armed forces broadly to include veterans who might be feeling nostalgic on the occasion.

th

Sergeant Major of the Army Dan Daily wears the newly approved Army Green uniform at Army Navy Game Dec. 9, 2017.

Air Force flyovers draw focus to the AF but it has recruiting value to all the armed forces. Only a handful of young men or women think of themselves as AF pilots or Navy aviators but the large number who those influenced can think of some military function they could do or expect to find out about they don't know exist.

Ceremonial parades, performances, events are a valuable recruiting tool. While flyovers and other military shows do have appeal to veterans in particular and support by the public in general, the parades and ceremonies are intended to impress young men and women to consider joining up.

Army btw is currently focused on recruiting Gen-Z members born between the mid 1990s and mid 2000s. Surveys and experience have found the Gen-Z member is more inclined to be a part of something bigger than millennials have been. Army has a Gen-Z recruiting campaign underway focused in 22 cities from Boston to Seattle and San Francisco, Denver, Austin, Albany among other more liberal cities.

Ceremonial parades, performances, events are a valuable recruiting tool.

Even so, Gen. Mattis was overwhelmingly against Trumps military parade in Washington. Maybe that will change now that Chaos is gone.

Who does the military target for recruitment? And who watches these games?

The military and sports will always go together as young people are their target market

Even so, Gen. Mattis was overwhelmingly against Trumps military parade in Washington. Maybe that will change now that Chaos is gone.

Everyone at Pentagon was against the Trump Jong Un parade and that will not change. So we can take comfort in that.

Trump's notion of the parade was completely inconsistent with US military traditions, customs, norms and mores. On the 4th of July yet. Mattis and the JCS with Kelly maneuvered Trump to a more subdued veterans day parade to buy time to derail it completely. So later when the cost was leaked at almost $100 million it blew Trump's hair back. End of.

You recall the horror show was officially postponed to veterans day this year but even Trump isn't going through that again and only to have it be more expensive plus called off again. Army CofS Gen. Mark Milley was in overall charge for the JCS so he's the guy who threw the bombs then threw his body over Trump to save him. Trump has since named Milley the next chairman of JCS so we got nuthin to worry about this time either.

Who does the military target for recruitment? And who watches these games?

The military and sports will always go together as young people are their target market

Sure. But do you need jet fuel to recruit?

Unfortunately any display of patriotism triggers many on the left. It is only political because you see it such.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately any display of patriotism triggers many on the left. It is only political because you see it such.

Wrong. Try again. A pro-government demonstration is political.

What is the difference between patriotism and militarism?

Makes me laugh when they fly over an enclosed Dome.

Ditto.

Spot on.

Yes it is used for recruiting, among other things.

Do we shut down the Blue Angels now because you think pilots are nothing but cannon fodder?

What a lame ass comment.

Pilots require a x amount of flying hours to keep their quals.

A sporting event fly over counts for flight hours.

Where is the beef?

Back
Top Bottom