• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NFL Agrees to Pay $765M to Settle Concussion Suits......

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
So what do you think about this settlement with the NFL? They are giving them less than 1% of the 10 Billion the NFL makes themselves in one year. Should these guys have accepted this deal? What do you think about going forward with injuries in this sport wherein.....now the NFL is making these guys aware of being careful out there.

Also to note.....those back in the day playing. Had less concussions than what those today are going thru.

e2cf6c8b1af5e31d3b0f6a706700fbb7.jpg

The NFL agreed to pay more than three-quarters of a billion dollars to settle lawsuits from thousands of former players who developed dementia or other concussion-related health problems they say were caused by the very on-field violence that fueled the game's rise to popularity and profit.

The settlement, unprecedented in sports, was announced Thursday after two months of court-ordered mediation and is subject to approval by a federal judge. It came exactly a week before the first game of the 2013 season, removing a major legal and financial threat hanging over the sport for two years.

U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody in Philadelphia is expected to rule on the settlement in two to three months but said it "holds the prospect of avoiding lengthy, expensive and uncertain litigation, and of enhancing the game of football."......snip~

NFL agrees to pay $765M to settle concussion suits

Any reason this judge is waiting around 3 months after a ruling was made? Shouldn't the Court mop up and get this case out of the system?

This wasn't exactly a whole lot of money that the NFL gave up.....plus now I just heard that going forward in the Future they will have a harder time trying to take something like this to court with the NFL.

I'm pretty indifferent with the settlement.

I think it was a frivolous lawsuit and I'm against frivolous lawsuits but what the NFL chooses to do is their own business. I guess it's a good PR coup.

Also to note.....those back in the day playing. Had less concussions than what those today are going thru.

I think the answer is to go back to old fashioned, less protective helmets.

I think that would go a long way toward encouraging players not to lead with their heads.

I'm pretty indifferent with the settlement.

I think it was a frivolous lawsuit and I'm against frivolous lawsuits but what the NFL chooses to do is their own business. I guess it's a good PR coup.

Heya DA :2wave: You thought the lawsuit was frivolous? How so? Again that is still less than 1% for over 18,000 plantiffs.

Plus a lot before 1982. The injuries were for all types of injuries. Hips, Knees, collarbones and shoulders. A host of them.

I think the NFL got off light. But then they have now made it where they are telling these guys to watch themselves out there. Plus the fines, being proactive and all the rest. I think gives the NFL plenty of coverage going forward.

Heya DA :2wave: You thought the lawsuit was frivolous? How so? Again that is still less than 1% for over 18,000 plantiffs.

Plus a lot before 1982. The injuries were for all types of injuries. Hips, Knees, collarbones and shoulders. A host of them.

I think the NFL got off light. But then they have now made it where they are telling these guys to watch themselves out there. Plus the fines, being proactive and all the rest. I think gives the NFL plenty of coverage going forward.

I'm just tired of assholes doing incredibly dangerous things then looking for money because they're shocked to learn what they were doing was incredibly dangerous. I don't care how in the dark these former players claim to be, I will never believe they were unaware that running full speed into a 300 lbs DE could result in serious injury.

Also, almost no one ever retires for professional sports because they just don't feel like doing it anymore. They "retire" when teams tell them they can't play. I just don't have much sympathy for a group of people who knowingly did something wrong then spent small fortunes on agents, business managers, etc. to try and lobby teams to keep letting them do it.

The average NFL athlete made 7 times the average national salary. They should have put money away for their health.

I find it absurd.

it reminds me of my mom trying to tell me when she started smoking, people had no idea how harmful it was. Really? were people just stupid back in the day?

same here. hey, those helmets you wear are purely for appearances, right?

These athletes were coddled growing up. Being that they excelled, they were given preferential treatment in school, around town, etc, etc. They knew the sport was dangerous as much as the NFL knew.

Now they are crying that the NFL harmed them.

I'd call each and every one of them what I think in person, and that includes my child hood idols like Tony Dorsett.

Back
Top Bottom