• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Newt: Comparing Trucks to Firearms

L

lucasjackson87

I'd like to make an argument about the Newt Ginggrich quote in regards to comparing trucks to firearms.

I fully expect by tomorrow morning that President Obama will have rediscovered his left-wing roots and will give a press conference in which he will explain the problem is too many trucks. if only we had truck regulation then we wouldn’t have problems like Nice. Because it is trucks that are dangerous. I mean that is the exact analogue to Orlando and just tells you how nuts the left-wing in America is.

If we started having hundreds of incidents where people were mowing down innocent Americans with their U-Hall, I guarantee the company would start putting stricter measurements in who gets access to their trucks. Also comparing a truck to a firearm holds no merit. Running over people isn't what trucks were initially designed for. They were designed to haul items, goods or people from one place to another. The unfortunate events in France shouldn't change that fact. Hand guns and automatic/semi-automatic weapons on the other hand were designed for one thing, to kill people. If I take my macbook pro and start dropping it off buildings onto people's heads, will some politician start comparing it to guns as well?

Last edited:
I'd like to make an argument about the Newt Ginggrich quote in regards to comparing trucks to firearms.

If we started having hundreds of incidents where people were mowing down innocent Americans with their U-Hall, I guarantee the company would start putting stricter measurements in who gets access to their trucks. Also comparing a truck to a firearm holds no merit. Running over people isn't what trucks were initially designed for. They were designed to haul items, goods or people from one place to another. The unfortunate events in France shouldn't change that fact. Hand guns and automatic/semi-automatic weapons on the other hand were designed for one thing, to kill people. If I take my macbook pro and start dropping it off buildings onto people's heads, will some politician start comparing it to guns as well?

The "this was designed to kill and that wasn't" argument is an absurd straw man argument. No gun just like no truck kills people. People kill people. What the instrument of death was designed for makes no difference.

Actually we do lose thousands a year to vehicles.

Go try and rent/lease a large van. They are too often used to smuggle illegals and contraband across the border so they not only jacked up the price but, scrutinize the person wishing to rent/lease.

Actually we do lose thousands a year to vehicles.

New data released by the government's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that guns and car accidents each cause 103 deaths among every 1 million people.

The two death rates were far apart for decades, but improved safety equipment in cars has drastically reduced the number of fatalities from motor vehicle accidents.

Deaths Due to Guns, Cars Occur at Same Rate in US

New data released by the government's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that guns and car accidents each cause 103 deaths among every 1 million people.

The two death rates were far apart for decades, but improved safety equipment in cars has drastically reduced the number of fatalities from motor vehicle accidents.

Deaths Due to Guns, Cars Occur at Same Rate in US

Maybe we could load guns with foam rubber bullets.

Maybe we could load guns with foam rubber bullets.

My friend keeps his gun loaded with the first round being a rubber bullet. He says you get one warning shot.

Your argument is flawed.

There is a Constitutional Right to own and carry a gun.

No such right to drive a truck.

My friend keeps his gun loaded with the first round being a rubber bullet. He says you get one warning shot.

He certainly has a good heart.

If we started having hundreds of incidents where people were mowing down innocent Americans with their U-Hall, I guarantee the company would start putting stricter measurements in who gets access to their trucks.

Well we have tens of thousands of incidents where motor vehicles in general result in fatalities and very few measures to restrict access to vehicles.
Also comparing a truck to a firearm holds no merit.
in your opinion.
Running over people isn't what trucks were initially designed for.
irrelevant
They were designed to haul items, goods or people from one place to another.
and in the process some unfortunate amounts of risk occur
The unfortunate events in France shouldn't change that fact.
unfortunate? that's one way to put it.
Hand guns and automatic/semi-automatic weapons on the other hand were designed for one thing, to kill people.
No, they were designed, like all firearm, to project a solid projectile using a chemical reaction, generally for use as a weapon, it is also perfectly legal to kill people in certain circumstances, it is also legal to use firearms for sport, or collection, or entertainment. so there are facially lawful reasons to own a firearm, just like a truck, and there are unlawful ways to use a firearm, just like a truck.
If I take my macbook pro and start dropping it off buildings onto people's heads,
you can be charged with assault
will some politician start comparing it to guns as well?
possibly.

Back
Top Bottom