• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Newsweek didn't like Beck's book... but only read 10 pages.

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Classic liberal media bullchit from Newsweek.

Here is the last paragraph, which says it all:

Too bad there’s very little that’s intriguing about Beck’s political intrigue. Sure, there’s a murder in the prologue—the charmingly old-school style that takes place at a pay phone, which everyone knows exists now only in books with secret political conspiracies. But I stopped reading at page 10, where the protagonist’s first encounter with the girl of his dreams was “punctuated by the thunk of his Tootsie Roll into the metal tray of the candy machine.” Really, Glenn, a Tootsie Roll? What the Hayek were you thinking?

Glenn Beck: Bibliophile - Newsweek

lolololololololololol

The reviewer should have picked a book that peaked enough of an interest to read a great deal more of the text before reviewing it. Then again, this is Newsweek, which is close enough to People magazine for my taste.

Last edited:
Don't they ever read anything in it's entirety before criticizing?

I have no intention of reading his book thus I will not pretend to know what it's about - and thus comment on something I know little of.

Classic liberal media bullchit from Newsweek.

Here is the last paragraph, which says it all:

Glenn Beck: Bibliophile - Newsweek

lolololololololololol

He's saying it was so bad he had to quit. You may disagree. No problem either way. But poor writing rarely gets better as you read. It also wasn't the main point of his artilce, which was limited and not too interesting to begin with.

If they can judge a book after 10 pages then I can judge a president after 18 months. He sucks!

If they can judge a book after 10 pages then I can judge a president after 18 months. He sucks!

True that the implication so far is the President does suck. Lets see what happens at the end of his first term. After all we are stuck with it unlike being stuck with a crappy book.

True that the implication so far is the President does suck. Lets see what happens at the end of his first term. After all we are stuck with it unlike being stuck with a crappy book.

I personally think it's one of the greatest books ever, and recommend everyone here buys it. I haven't read it yet though...

I personally think it's one of the greatest books ever, and recommend everyone here buys it. I haven't read it yet though...

LOL . . . nark nark

iseewhatyoudidthere419976mp_small.jpg

He's saying it was so bad he had to quit. You may disagree. No problem either way. But poor writing rarely gets better as you read. It also wasn't the main point of his artilce, which was limited and not too interesting to begin with.

And the reviewer was a skilled writer decorating a poorly thought out analysis of political theory in order to justify a submission to Newsweek.

And the reviewer was a skilled writer decorating a poorly thought out analysis of political theory in order to justify a submission to Newsweek.

No disagreement from me. As I said: It also wasn't the main point of his artilce, which was limited and not too interesting to begin with.

I only read through this part of your post, but I have to say that you're completely wrong.

So you are saying that Glen Beck is one of histories greatest writers, surpassing Twain with classical writing like

punctuated by the thunk of his Tootsie Roll into the metal tray of the candy machine.

why I have to agree, I have not seen such writing since the original Melrose Place, and we all know how well written that was

I've read excerpts from the book. 10 pages is too much. Look, there's a sex scene that turns into a conversation about flat tax rates. Another scene has the protagonist warning his female companion to not "tease the panther."

It's awful, awful writing. You don't need to read the whole book to figure that out.

There's a sex scene? Glenn said he specifically didn't want a sex scene in it.

I'm over halfway through it and the scene you described is maybe one or two paragraphs long and not even and integral part of the plot. Congrats for missing the point, but it doesn't suprise me.

Last edited:
I always wondered who decided that dude needed to look through an air filter as part of his outfit.

LOL
It's a hair-band, really, it's made from a hairband.

In the show, though, he's blind (some type of genetic disorder) and this is a visor that helps him "see"

Just finished the book. Nope, no sex scene.

Of course they did not like it:Nothing To Like. :)

It is funny really, because he knows it soooooo bad that he had to put it down just like I had to put down the Twilight saga books. Funny because the times says the book is awful too

But I am not going comment about this book until I have read the thing

So, I guess it would've been more appropriate to say "Beck's book so bad reviewers cant read past 10 pages?"

They judged the book and decided to give it a bad review when they read the author's name "Glenn Beck." They went into the book with bias against him, read 10 pages, and gave a bad review not based on content but based on ideology and bias. :) This just hits hard to Newsweek's credibility.

Just finished the book. Nope, no sex scene.

Just wanting a personal opinion from a libertarian (who I'm assuming agree's with Beck on alot of issues, at least enough to go out and snatch up a copy so soon and read his book)...

Was it any good?

Would you say it just reiterates that exact same message that you get from his shows if you watch them?

Entertaining at all?

Back
Top Bottom