• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Newsweek didn't like Beck's book... but only read 10 pages.

They judged the book and decided to give it a bad review when they read the author's name "Glenn Beck." They went into the book with bias against him, read 10 pages, and gave a bad review not based on content but based on ideology and bias. :) This just hits hard to Newsweek's credibility.

I believe you're right. The same book written by any other thriller fiction writer would have been met with indifference at best. I've read the reviews and many plot summaries and, honestly, it doesn't sound any worse or any better than any other book I've ever read on the same themes. I like government conspiracy books and I am going to read Beck's book. The reviews are all so obviously biased it's not even funny. I want to judge for myself if his book sucks or not.

I'm hoping that Anne Coulter writes one too, so I can get the Beck/O'Reilly/Coulter trilogy.

They judged the book and decided to give it a bad review when they read the author's name "Glenn Beck." They went into the book with bias against him, read 10 pages, and gave a bad review not based on content but based on ideology and bias. :) This just hits hard to Newsweek's credibility.

Does anyone still read that rag, I mean magazine?

Just thought I'd mention, that Beck's new fiction novel hit #1 on the New York Times best sellers list today.

Just thought I'd mention, that Beck's new fiction novel hit #1 on the New York Times best sellers list today.

Well, in that case, I give him as much consideration as I do Howard Stern and Dennis Rodman. :)

I'll give him as much consideration as I do The Twilight saga authors books which is zero just because it on the best sellers doesn't mean its actually good this just means that it sold a lot of books.

Last edited:

Which means nothing to whether it is good writing or not. A lot of crap sells. It wouldn't stop me from cashing the checks, but it would mean it was good either.

I'll give him as much consideration as I do The Twilight saga authors books which is zero just because it on the best sellers doesn't mean its actually good this just means that it sold a lot of books.

Sadly, the sales are probably all legitimate too, as opposed to what usually happens when a political book comes out (wealthy supporters buying copies in bulk to get the train-a-movin').

Just wanting a personal opinion from a libertarian (who I'm assuming agree's with Beck on alot of issues, at least enough to go out and snatch up a copy so soon and read his book)...

Was it any good?

Would you say it just reiterates that exact same message that you get from his shows if you watch them?

Entertaining at all?

If you watch him regularly, you've heard the speeches in the book before. You know who the antagonist is modeled after. You understand the parallels between fiction and real life today. If you don't watch him regularly, I think you might be slightly confused (unless you read the last 20 pages before you begin or while you read it) since you might not know the real life events he's talking about.

I thought it was entertaining. Some of the storyline (the romance) is hokey and unrealistic, but the rest is good. I have to say I much prefer his non-fiction. The last 20 pages made it worth it (he lists all of the things in the book that actually have happened or are happening in the present).

If you watch him regularly, you've heard the speeches in the book before. You know who the antagonist is modeled after. You understand the parallels between fiction and real life today. If you don't watch him regularly, I think you might be slightly confused (unless you read the last 20 pages before you begin or while you read it) since you might not know the real life events he's talking about.

I thought it was entertaining. Some of the storyline (the romance) is hokey and unrealistic, but the rest is good. I have to say I much prefer his non-fiction. The last 20 pages made it worth it (he lists all of the things in the book that actually have happened or are happening in the present).

An honest review from a person that actually read the book, instead of dishonest partisan attacks from reviewers and posters on this forum alike... How refreshing.

Thank you.

He's saying it was so bad he had to quit. You may disagree. No problem either way. But poor writing rarely gets better as you read. It also wasn't the main point of his artilce, which was limited and not too interesting to begin with.

He's a book reviewer Boo. He didn't do his damn job.

Amazing you ignore that fact.

Yet its #1 on their list lol

liberals are funny

Something can be popular and awful at the same time. See: Anything directed by Michael Bay.

I read a few more excerpts. It's just... really weird writing. It gives you this "the author might be quite mentally disturbed." Same feeling I got from the Twilight books and Terry Goodkind's books. (In Beck's defense, it's not nearly as powerful as it is from Goodkind. I think Goodkind has a rape fetish or something...)

Back
Top Bottom