• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Newsbusters, Why Was This Reporter Suspended?

Looks like it could have been a number of things. However, in my opinion the last straw was pointing out Obama as BP's largest recipient of campaign funds.
Well actually no, he didn't receive funds from BP, he got donations from BP employees just as he has gotten donations from many people who work for corporations. However, that's besides the point. By your own admission, this is just your opinion. i.e. speculation. Hardly fact, yet there were conservative blogs that came to the same conclusion as you did. Is Newsbusters reliable? Did you read the WP story they linked to.

i'm still confused ... not such a rare condition, actually

but was he suspended/fired?
and if so, for what?

Well actually no, he didn't receive funds from BP, he got donations from BP employees just as he has gotten donations from many people who work for corporations. However, that's besides the point. By your own admission, this is just your opinion. i.e. speculation. Hardly fact, yet there were conservative blogs that came to the same conclusion as you did. Is Newsbusters reliable? Did you read the WP story they linked to.

I read your link
from it
*********************************************************************************
According to several of McKelway's colleagues," reported Paul Farhi in The Washington Post, "the newsman's reporting may have lapsed into partisan territory when he commented live on the air about the oil industry's influence in Washington, particularly its contributions to Democratic politicians and legislators" -- which must have included bigtime BP recipient Barack Obama.
**********************************************************************************
This looked to me like the most likely or the last straw that caused his dimissal.
I can't see the left stream media tolerating such insubordination. That was the crime he supposedly commited.

I read your link
from it
*********************************************************************************
According to several of McKelway's colleagues," reported Paul Farhi in The Washington Post, "the newsman's reporting may have lapsed into partisan territory when he commented live on the air about the oil industry's influence in Washington, particularly its contributions to Democratic politicians and legislators" -- which must have included bigtime BP recipient Barack Obama.
**********************************************************************************
This looked to me like the most likely or the last straw that caused his dimissal.
I can't see the left stream media tolerating such insubordination. That was the crime he supposedly commited.
Yeah, that's what Newsbusters wrote, how about the WP story. Did you read that whole article? Could there be another reason he was suspended?

Yeah, that's what Newsbusters wrote, how about the WP story. Did you read that whole article? Could there be another reason he was suspended?

Ok, I read more.
It seems that he was a jerk to a blogger named Michael Rogers. He threartened to take him outside and punch him in the face. This was on air and he refused to apologize for it the next day. (Rogers is a blogger who's goal is to out gay Republicans who vote against anything that may be deemed as anti-gay)
This all seems like a good reason to be fired. However this happened over a yr ago.

Ok, I read more.
It seems that he was a jerk to a blogger named Michael Rogers. He threartened to take him outside and punch him in the face. This was on air and he refused to apologize for it the next day. (Rogers is a blogger who's goal is to out gay Republicans who vote against anything that may be deemed as anti-gay)
This all seems like a good reason to be fired. However this happened over a yr ago.
I agree, but that part of the story was some background material on the reporter temperment. If this were the cause then he should have been fired then. I think the straw that broke the camels back was:

The episode led to a meeting between McKelway and Bill Lord, WJLA's station manager and news director, that featured sharp exchanges between them, said several newsroom sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about a personnel issue.

"The issue wasn't what he said in the live shot. It was what he said when he was questioned about it by Bill," said one of McKelway's colleagues. "The issue is insubordination."
Did Newsbusters intentionally mislead their readers or did they not read the whole story?

I agree, but that part of the story was some background material on the reporter temperment. If this were the cause then he should have been fired then. I think the straw that broke the camels back was:

Did Newsbusters intentionally mislead their readers or did they not read the whole story?

No, I don't think so.
What lead to the meeting that lead to the firing was the comments he made about BP and Dems.
What he did in the past didn't make the democratic party or Obama look bad. This did and it's my guess that's why he was fired. Insubdination? Yes, he failed to follow the liberal agenda that is sacred to the MSM.

No, I don't think so.
What lead to the meeting that lead to the firing was the comments he made about BP and Dems.
What he did in the past didn't make the democratic party or Obama look bad. This did and it's my guess that's why he was fired. Insubdination? Yes, he failed to follow the liberal agenda that is sacred to the MSM.
But as I pointed out earlier, the donations to Obama were made by BP employees not by BP. Companies can't give directly to candidates. So, the altercation could have been about his incorrect reporting. Either report the facts or don't report at all.

But as I pointed out earlier, the donations to Obama were made by BP employees not by BP. Companies can't give directly to candidates. So, the altercation could have been about his incorrect reporting. Either report the facts or don't report at all.

All I know is that in 2008 Obama was the biggest recipient of BP contributions. If what you say is true then can we expect never to hear how Republicans are in the hip pockets of big oil?
Wasn't the reporter just asking a question about it?

All I know is that in 2008 Obama was the biggest recipient of BP contributions. If what you say is true then can we expect never to hear how Republicans are in the hip pockets of big oil?
Wasn't the reporter just asking a question about it?

Oh no...REPUBLICANS can be in the pocket of big oil...just not democrats. Big oil...banks...insurance...nope...ONLY republicans...

Back
Top Bottom