• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern delays election over Covid-19

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she is delaying the country's parliamentary election by four weeks to October 17 after the reemergence of Covid-19 in the country last week.

The announcement on Tuesday that locally acquired cases of coronavirus had been confirmed in the New Zealand's biggest city, Auckland, prompted the government to introduce strict level three lockdown measures on August 12. This comes after around 100 days without community spread.

The rest of the country was put into level two lockdown, with both lockdown periods extended until at least August 26 as further cases of coronavirus were confirmed.

The general election was due to take place on September 19, with Parliament rising on August 6 and campaigning had already begun before the lockdowns were introduced.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern delays election over Covid-19 - CNN

The United States needs to consider doing something similar. Delay elections until 2021, implement stimulus checks, enhanced unemployment, and strict measures until the end of the year. Hopefully, the Republicans and Democrats can work something out.

Our country is in a mess. Holding a convention for both parties seems silly. People are suffering. Asking donations from the people is tone-dead, it should be the complete opposite. Money should be given to the people!!!

The United States needs to consider doing something similar. Delay elections until 2021, implement stimulus checks, enhanced unemployment, and strict measures until the end of the year. Hopefully, the Republicans and Democrats can work something out.

Our country is in a mess. Holding a convention for both parties seems silly. People are suffering. Asking donations from the people is tone-dead, it should be the complete opposite. Money should be given to the people!!!

Right... as if we should ever compare Ardern's motivations with Trump (and his enablers/supporters.)

Right... as if we should ever compare Ardern's motivations with Trump (and his enablers/supporters.)

I want Trump outta here but this election needs to be pure. The virus will be completely out of control by November, USPS might shut down, people are starving out the streets. The people need a stimulus first before we can even consider an election.

OMFG! The New Zealand leader is a fascist!!!!!!

Concentration camps to follow....:lamo

"Ultimately, I want to ensure we have a well-run election that gives all voters the best chance to receive all the information they need about parties and candidates, and delivers certainty for the future,"

The United States cannot mess this up. Delaying our election would prevent a contested election that would take over 6 months to figure out.

The Civil War would begin on November 3, 2020.

Sure, let's have Nancy become interim President until said election takes place and go for it.

New Zealand I expect is like Canada in that neither have fixed election dates like the US has. So changing the date is not as significant as it would be in the US

Waiting for trump to say that she only did that to show him up.

Their parliamentary system allows this.

Ours doesn't.

End of story.

No, way. Get back to work. This is the USA, not some weak island nation who still has a symbolic queen. We adapt and overcome, we do not surrender.

Their parliamentary system allows this.

Ours doesn't.

End of story.

True. Also the opposition party requested it. It’s not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True. Also the opposition party requested it. It’s not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, not true. The nz first party also requested it and they are part of the coalition government.

But the only reason they and the opposition requested it is because it gives them more time to campaign. The government would have been better off not moving the date as it would give them the advantage. But moving the date now gives the opposition more opportunity.

No, not true. The nz first party also requested it and they are part of the coalition government.

But the only reason they and the opposition requested it is because it gives them more time to campaign. The government would have been better off not moving the date as it would give them the advantage. But moving the date now gives the opposition more opportunity.

There isn't enough opportunity for Judith Collins. Not between now and the end of time. She has the charisma of a haddock, and no new ideas. The Nationals - especially the Bridges contingent - have spent the last 6 months arguing that objective success isn't what it appears to be and that New Zealand needed to follow the American model of fighting the coronavirus.

Ardern is going to have her guts for sausages on election day.

No, way. Get back to work. This is the USA, not some weak island nation who still has a symbolic queen. We adapt and overcome, we do not surrender.

Surrendering is exactly what your ilk wants to do to this pandemic.

The rest of us want to rise up and defeat COVID-19. :thumbs:

Yes, tell us how well you're winning against Coronavirus. Your mighty nation is ****ed, and you know why? Because conservative libertarian morons are more concerned with whining that their 'rights' are being violated and chest-beating than using their brains.
"This is the USA"? I'd be embarrassed to write that right now, frankly, in view of the utter disaster that Trump's incompetence has foisted on you. But, hey, all is not lost, you're Number One in Covid infections in the whole world. Congratulations; "this is America"!

We're not adapting and overcoming. We're hiding under the bed and pretending nothing is wrong.

There isn't enough opportunity for Judith Collins. Not between now and the end of time. She has the charisma of a haddock, and no new ideas. The Nationals - especially the Bridges contingent - have spent the last 6 months arguing that objective success isn't what it appears to be and that New Zealand needed to follow the American model of fighting the coronavirus.

Ardern is going to have her guts for sausages on election day.

In a way i feel sorry for collins. She has schemed and plotted her way to the prime ministership for many years. So close but so far.

I agree that labour has the election to lose but it is winston and seymour positioning for place that should prove for an interesting parliament. I am hoping for at least one to be a minor party, not both.

In a way i feel sorry for collins.

Not me. She has done the "proud to be white" thing when asked about the Maori one too many times.

She's poison.

Not me. She has done the "proud to be white" thing when asked about the Maori one too many times.

She's poison.

Agreed. And she does not want a coalition. She wants to rule it all. But it is mainly their position on economics that i am against them. They will toady to the corporations which will mean a large part of our wealth will end up in the hands of a few overseas companies.

Agreed. And she does not want a coalition. She wants to rule it all. But it is mainly their position on economics that i am against them. They will toady to the corporations which will mean a large part of our wealth will end up in the hands of a few overseas companies.

All you have to do is look to our bad example.

Back
Top Bottom