• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Zealand passes miscarriages bereavement leave law

soylentgreen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I was curious about india and found that even though the law is there very few women can access it because the majority are in part time employment.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03...iage-leave-law-for-grieving-parents/100030266

New Zealand has passed legislation giving mothers and their partners the right to paid leave following a miscarriage or still birth, becoming only the second country in the world to do so.
  • The leave provisions apply to mothers, their partners, and also parents planning to have a child through adoption or surrogacy
  • India is the only other country with similar legislation

Made me curious about america as well.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/bereavement-leave-asking-time-off-work-funeral-2020-5?r=US&IR=T
  • In the US, there is no law granting workers the right to paid time off to attend a loved one’s funeral or process the trauma of losing a family member.
  • Bereavement leave is up to the discretion of employers
Which would you prefer?

I cannot believe such a law was necessary, but some employers can be horrifically heartless. Good for New Zealand.

I cannot believe such a law was necessary, but some employers can be horrifically heartless. Good for New Zealand.

That you cannot believe such a law was necessary and think employers heartless, Makes me think you might be an employer.

There's no statutory bereavement leave in Britain, but there is an entitlement to take emergency time off, which can then be labeled parental or compassionate leave. These can be paid or unpaid days, separate from the minimum 28 days paid leave every worker is entitled to. (Plus Bank Holidays)

I was curious about india and found that even though the law is there very few women can access it because the majority are in part time employment.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03...iage-leave-law-for-grieving-parents/100030266

Made me curious about america as well.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/bereavement-leave-asking-time-off-work-funeral-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

Which would you prefer?
Why? It's a fetus, not a baby. Nothing lost. Why pay people to sit home on their asses?

Why? It's a fetus, not a baby. Nothing lost. Why pay people to sit home on their asses?
It's like having surgery for one, you usually have to have a clean out operation of sorts. Plus, if you were wanting the baby, it can be devastating.

It's like having surgery for one, you usually have to have a clean out operation of sorts. Plus, if you were wanting the baby, it can be devastating.
It's not a "baby" until it is born. It is a fetus; a worthless piece of tissue. so scrape it all out and start over. or sell it for stem cells. Nothing to be "devastated" about. Jeeeeeze, some people get soooo sentimental.

It's not a "baby" until it is born. It is a fetus; a worthless piece of tissue. so scrape it all out and start over. or sell it for stem cells. Nothing to be "devastated" about. Jeeeeeze, some people get soooo sentimental.
I am guessing you must be anti abortion rather than pro choice. After all why hold such a ridiculous view about pregnancy unless you do not care at all about the parents.

Awww, it took me a minute to realize you were mocking this situation. I had some vitamins, and now I can see it clearly.

Awww, it took me a minute to realize you were mocking this situation. I had some vitamins, and now I can see it clearly.
yep, it took you a while....because it's absolutely possible that I was serious.

Back
Top Bottom