• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New York Times Sues Pentagon Over Illegal Wiretapping

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The New York Times sued the US Department of Defense today, seeking the court to turn over documents and emails connected with its warantless spying on Americans. The Times had filed FOIA requests for this material, but was dissatisfied with the Pentagon's response, and claims that there are no unusual circumstances which should delay complying with the FOIA requests.

This action is unrelated to the ongoing Federal probe of the wiretapping. Bush may claim all he wants that he can flout the law, but the following passage pretty much says it all:

The U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act requires the federal government to obtain warrants from a secret federal court for surveillance operations inside the United States.

Article is here.

I personally think all we have to do to see if this was illegal or not is look at the flippin Constitution.

Amendment IV - Search and seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I can't understand how people can claim to be so patriotic yet they have absolutely zero regard for our laws and ideals that this country was founded on.

Cassapolis said:
I personally think all we have to do to see if this was illegal or not is look at the flippin Constitution.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I can't understand how people can claim to be so patriotic yet they have absolutely zero regard for our laws and ideals that this country was founded on.
Because some people, by nature, dont give a fiip about the American way. Benjamin Franklin said it best in this quote, which you wont find in many history books:

This constitution will fail, as others have before it, and that will be due to the corruption of the people, for whom in the end only despotism will serve.
Franklin knew that this Republic would end one day, due to the unmitigated greed and corruption of a few, along with the lack of will on the part of the American people to do anything about it. It took over 200 years, but we now witnessing the beginning of the fulfillment of Ben Franklin's prophecy.

Last edited:
Cassapolis said:

:shock: I completeley forgot about that amendment.:doh

Cassapolis said:

We have no knock warrants these days. Law enforcement can come kick down your door and shove your face in the dirt before showing you a warrant. After they're done trashing your house and don't find anything you're left with the repair bills.

Back
Top Bottom