• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York police to use drone for first time at New Year's Eve party

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rst-time-at-new-years-eve-party-idUSKCN1OR1IH

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City police will use an aerial drone for the first time to monitor the crowds gathered in Times Square on Monday for the New Year’s Eve ball-drop celebrations, officials said on Friday, adding there was no known threat to the night’s festivities.

The camera-carrying drone will be tethered to the roof of a building and will not fly directly over the hundreds of thousands of revelers in the area, but it will add an additional vantage-point alongside the 1,225 fixed video cameras that police will deploy.
=======================================
Welcome to the Surveillance Society. Something like '1984' & 'Brave New World' & 'THX1184'. What could possibly go wrong as you wartch your civil liberties going down the drain labeled 'public safety.' The welfare of the many tramples on the welfare of the individual.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rst-time-at-new-years-eve-party-idUSKCN1OR1IH

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City police will use an aerial drone for the first time to monitor the crowds gathered in Times Square on Monday for the New Year’s Eve ball-drop celebrations, officials said on Friday, adding there was no known threat to the night’s festivities.

The camera-carrying drone will be tethered to the roof of a building and will not fly directly over the hundreds of thousands of revelers in the area, but it will add an additional vantage-point alongside the 1,225 fixed video cameras that police will deploy.
Welcome to the Surveillance Society. Something like '1984' & 'Brave New World' & 'THX1184'. What could possibly go wrong as you wartch your civil liberties going down the drain labeled 'public safety.' The welfare of the many tramples on the welfare of the individual.

We are on our way to freedom being something that we used to have like donuts used to be what Dunkin was all about.....

So many unformed ignorant Americans are just itching to trade in my freedom for shoddy promises of security.

WE USED TO BE BETTER

We are on our way to freedom being something that we used to have like donuts used to be what Dunkin was all about.....

So many unformed ignorant Americans are just itching to trade in my freedom for shoddy promises of security.

WE USED TO BE BETTER

We were always worse.

This is in public. You're not expected to have a right to privacy in public.

This is in public. You're not expected to have a right to privacy in public.

I don't understand either. There are cameras everywhere especially in midtown. Not to mention it will be on TV live.

Believe it or not I don't have a problem with this.

Some people get so freaked out by security cameras while at the same time having no problem with officers "patrolling the beat."

May I ask what is so much worse about an officer monitoring a street corner from the other side of a camera vs. in person?

As long as this doesn't happen, I'm not too worried:

Welcome to the Surveillance Society.

It's New York City, Times Square on New Year's Eve...I am perfectly fine with all the surveillance in a huge crowd scenario like that.

Drones are awesome. Not using them for security would be stupid.

How is it any different then flying a police helicopter over the area

the whole experience sounds pretty nope.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...g_to_the_bathroom-New_York_City_New_York.html

https://thepartyingtraveler.com/2018/01/01/is-new-years-eve-in-times-square-worth-it/

as for drones monitoring the crowd to make sure that no one is doing violent ****, that sounds like a good idea, and would be the least of my worries.

also, no ****ing way. i don't do "sorry, you can't pee" events.

And me as well.

I could hold it in for a couple of hours but after that urinary retention can damage your kidneys due to the rising back pressure.

In early steam railroad locomotives the crew would also use a leg sheath designed to hold up to quarts of urine. They were called the 'brakeman's convenience.'

And me as well.

I could hold it in for a couple of hours but after that urinary retention can damage your kidneys due to the rising back pressure.

In early steam railroad locomotives the crew would also use a leg sheath designed to hold up to quarts of urine. They were called the 'brakeman's convenience.'

yeah, if i'm doing a no bathroom event, the destination had better be the moon, and i'm afraid of heights. i prefer watching the ball drop from the couch. the drinks are free, and no one is acting like an idiot other than me.

yeah, if i'm doing a no bathroom event, the destination had better be the moon, and i'm afraid of heights. i prefer watching the ball drop from the couch. the drinks are free, and no one is acting like an idiot other than me.

The modern alternative is the Foley catheter, in which you are catheterized. The catheter is held in place in your bladder by a small rubber balloon that is inflated with water or saline. I have had this procedure done a number of times & it is not as unpleasant as it might seem. It has fallen into disfavor I was told recently because of the risk of developing a UTI & the need to visit either a urologist or ER to have it installed/removed.

The Foley is mainly used in hospital patients who can't leave their bed or reach for a portable urinal.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_catheter

Last edited:
The modern alternative is the Foley catheter, in which you are catheterized. The catheter is held in place in your bladder by a small rubber balloon that is inflated with water or saline. I have had this procedure done a number of times & it is not as unpleasant as it might seem. It has fallen into disfavor I was told recently because of the risk of developing a UTI & the need to visit either a urologist or ER to have it installed/removed.

The Foley is mainly used in hospital patients who can't leave their bed or reach for a portable urinal.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_catheter

i would definitely prefer to avoid this procedure if possible. my guess is that i would be trying to pee into a bottle as discreetly as possible while risking legal problems. no thanks. my bathroom is a twenty second walk away, and the liquor cabinet is the same. to quote one of my old buddies, "good enough."

They have been advertising disposable urine-absorbing underpants on TV a lot recently. Not my idea of a fun time either. Used to live in NYC but would never subject myself to the 12/31 spectacle.

Back
Top Bottom