• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York Losing Population? Well Done Democrats

We're breaking ground for a new 30 story condo 4 blocks from the Amazon site on Jan 4. Planning started 6 years ago. Two of the original partners have passed this year. Units of raw residential space start at about $2 mil ea plus custom build out, floor thru with views of the UN and midtown Manhattan. With exception of the 4 penthouse units, 30k sq ft ea, all units are sold and build out designs in progress. The bidding war for the 4 penthouse units started at $8 mil each. This was once a factory site. It is one subway stop to midtown. On a nice day it is a lovely walk or bicycle ride over the 69th Street bridge. There will be a 180 unit secure parking garage adjacent to our building reserved for residential units the first year it is opened, each unit selling for $120k, fully subscribed with units reserved for the unsold residential units. There will be two gyms, an inside swimming pool with a controlled environment and club, a rooftop pool and club, assorted concierge services and medical offices.

This is the first of 8 new constructs on land we already own. Land and buildings no one else wanted. We have a list more than 3500 potential buyers for the planned 472 units. It is not for the poor or middle class. There are no tax programs benefiting the properties, no abatements, no need or room for political approvals or extortion. All construction is as of right. All plans are already Building Department approved. Any attempts by politicians, local or otherwise, bureaucrats, unions, whatever to interfere or grab the honeypot were met with harsh realities that were planned and unexpected on their part well in advance of soft costs being spent. There is no lack of eager buyers.

Every attempt at gaining political credit by anyone has caught a face slam, and we are ready for more at every level. We can easily embarrass anyone who tries with their own skeletons in the closets.

The same type of activity is happening in the Garden State, across the Hudson River, in the old cities of New Jersey, begging for gentrification. My niece and her fiancé just picked up a 12 room brick house, built in 1851 in Jersey City, divided into apartments, for $400k. They are restoring it to its once one family grandeur. 10 minutes into midtown Manhattan on the tubes. The neighborhood is a beautiful, treed, almost suburban environment attracting young middle class families of substance. By the time their first child arrives that house will have 4 bedrooms, full baths, an eat in kitchen, formal dining room, parlor, wraparound porch, finished basement entertainment center, 4 car garage, upstairs porch, a guest cottage that was once servant quarters, on almost 2 acres of land. Their neighbors, like them, are young professional families with the same desires.

Yes, these are not domiciles for the middle class as we know the middle class. There is no room for the poor. There is no want of active buyers.

For some these are scenarios of doom and gloom, for the rest of us, this is the future we made and are now seeing our children improve upon. If you can't cut it, live somewhere else. We don't want you here. Arrogant? Damn straight. We haven't forgotten Gerry Ford and those who approved of his attitude when NY asked for help. We are not obligated to make your lives better, and we really do not care what you think of us.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/19/new-yorks-population-dips-over-the-past-year/

Well geewillikers, Melvin. I wonder why? Could it be because New York, or more properly, the People's Republik of New Yorkistan is one of the highest taxed, most business unfriendly states in the country?
Ever since the invention of air conditioning, NY retirees have been moving to warm states like FL and AZ. To get an idea of where population has shifted, look at the two electoral maps below. NY used to have twice the number of electors as TX and four times that of FL. Now, NY and FL are even and TX has 50% more.

If the theory is state taxes, why did low tax PA have a 50% drop in population -- and high-tax CA grew population?

1960_large.png

2016_large.png

Last edited:
https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/19/new-yorks-population-dips-over-the-past-year/

Well geewillikers, Melvin. I wonder why? Could it be because New York, or more properly, the People's Republik of New Yorkistan is one of the highest taxed, most business unfriendly states in the country?

I would imagine it has something to do with the extremely high cost of living in New York City, even the suburbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City

New York City continues to grow despite its high cost of living. Population losses are happening Upstate.

Well, NY never struck me that way.

Maybe it's because New Yorkers realize that they need to move into places like TX to boost the "blue" vote there and drive the GOP out???

But you already got your wish in the People's Republiks of New Yorkistan and Communisfornia. One Party Leftist rule. Is that what you want for the entire country, Communist?

It has more to do with the loss of industry upstate and the cheap labor in the red, poverty covered states.

Just capitalism exploiting the poor.

NYC is richer and fuller than ever.

But you already got your wish in the People's Republiks of New Yorkistan and Communisfornia. One Party Leftist rule. Is that what you want for the entire country, Communist?

Ok, you're starting to become the stereotype of all conservatives. You need to stop.

I would imagine it has something to do with the extremely high cost of living in New York City, even the suburbs.

Ummmm, the entire state is losing population. It’s not the only blue state doing so.

Last edited:
Once you get away from the cesspool of NY City, the rest of the state is absolutely beautiful country of wonderful lakes, pristine forests and quaint cities and towns. Being a next door neighbor we see and hear the issues. Besides the high state and local taxes, property taxes are 2-3 times neighboring Pennsylvania(at least). A couple years ago I was looking a tract of timberland in south central New York. Property taxes after a forestry credit we almost $20k/year. I ended up buying a similar tract of land in Pa but half the size and taxes were $1300/year with no credits. A home in upper Pa might have property taxes of $2500/year. 20 miles over the border for similar home and sq footage will run you double or triple that.

Too bad they can't cut off NYC and give it to New Jersey and free the rest of the state from their insanity.

By my count, of the 9 states which showed population loses over the last year, four were liberal states and five were conservative states.

Furthermore, upstate New York was where they saw most of the population loss. Downstate in and around New York City actually saw growth. Update New York is very conservative whereas the City itself is more liberal. So it looks like even in the Liberal states that lost people they only lost them from the conservative part of the state.

Right winger are truly like children, completely idiotic children. They all just keep posting the dumbest ****. Oh, california, new york are poopy heads. Forget the fact that the unhealthiest, poorest, most uneducated states are republicans run ****holes. Or the fact the blue states, the cities, bring in the majority of wealth in this country. It's where the jobs are. And due to demand, its also higher cost of living than bumble**** where there are not many jobs.

The dumb just never ends with them

And you would be wrong. You see as it turns out the city itself actually saw an increase in population. A high cost of living is actually driven by population increases. The more people want to live in an area the more it drives up the cost of housing, land, and rental properties.

Besides New York, the other states that also saw year-to-year population declines were Illinois, West Virginia, Louisiana, Hawaii, Mississippi, Alaska, Connecticut and Wyoming.

Back
Top Bottom