• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York Losing Population? Well Done Democrats

Bassman

Next we have #12. The Larch
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
West end of the Erie Canal (That's Buffalo, NY for
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I would imagine it has something to do with the extremely high cost of living in New York City, even the suburbs.

Why on earth is Idaho seeing such a boom in population

Why wouldn't it? Beautiful state that is economically friendly to businesses.

Note: I may be biased on this. :mrgreen:

Having grown up with Spokane TV being broadcast to me, my impressions of Idaho are limited to Coeur D Alene and the issues it had with Aryan Nations back in the late 80s and early 90s. That and reading on preppers seem to like the state

Having grown up with Spokane TV being broadcast to me, my impressions of Idaho are limited to Coeur D Alene and the issues it had with Aryan Nations back in the late 80s and early 90s. That and reading on preppers seem to like the state

Thankfully the KKK left when some "grand wizard" or other died a couple of decades back. They moved back east somewhere. As for the preppers, they're mainly in Montana now a days.

But that's in one year alone. New York has had a population exodus for decades.

The article would disagree with you:

In July, the New York population stood at 19,542,209, down from 19,590,719 the previous July, the Census Bureau said Wednesday. In 2000, it was at 19,378,124.

That's a net increase of 212,595.

Try reading the 2nd sentence of Kals post again

I made a mistake in that post. I said "last census" but in fact it was the 2000 census that the article went by, not the 2010 census. That was my bad.

After a while all the shootings,murders and abortions add up.

Not just that, but zero private sector expansion in upstate and Western NY.

Since you insist on making this a partisan politics issue I'll have to point out that the VERY Republican upstate NY has been a business wasteland for decades.

While the very Dem downstate NY is thriving, ask Google and Amazon.

But we've been through this 'NY lost people because of the Dems' in another thread about the exact same nonsense earlier this week.

Last edited:
https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/19/new-yorks-population-dips-over-the-past-year/

Well geewillikers, Melvin. I wonder why? Could it be because New York, or more properly, the People's Republik of New Yorkistan is one of the highest taxed, most business unfriendly states in the country?

Apparently not to the world's biggest companies like Amazon and Google. The Amazon headquarters in Queens is a bit controversial given the tax breaks they got in order to set up shop, but Google is coming to Hudson Yards and doing so on their own dime. That being said, New York City is becoming an absurd place to live (cost of living, gentrification) which is why I left despite being a born and bred NYer. The cost of living is really high and when I wanted to buy property, it just wasn't worth it for what you get for your money. I do feel for the rest of the state though, because it is pretty grim. The article didn't mention how the population reduction was distributed between upstate and downstate; I'd be curious to know what that is. Based on what the trend I'm witnessing right over the Hudson river, people starting families leave NYC and rent in waterfront areas in NJ, then buy homes in north/southwestern NJ that have good access to public transportation.

Apparently not to the world's biggest companies like Amazon and Google. The Amazon headquarters in Queens is a bit controversial given the tax breaks they got in order to set up shop, but Google is coming to Hudson Yards and doing so on their own dime. That being said, New York City is becoming an absurd place to live (cost of living, gentrification) which is why I left despite being a born and bred NYer. The cost of living is really high and when I wanted to buy property, it just wasn't worth it for what you get for your money. I do feel for the rest of the state though, because it is pretty grim. The article didn't mention how the population reduction was distributed between upstate and downstate; I'd be curious to know what that is. Based on what the trend I'm witnessing right over the Hudson river, people starting families leave NYC and rent in waterfront areas in NJ, then buy homes in north/southwestern NJ that have good access to public transportation.

MANY years ago people started to say that Manhattan was becoming an 'island of millionaires'.. Because they were the only ones who could afford to live there. and it's only got worse, but it's because the economy is doing so well in NYC, not because as many partisan politics people try to say, it's a hell hole.

MANY years ago people started to say that Manhattan was becoming an 'island of millionaires'.. Because they were the only ones who could afford to live there. and it's only got worse, but it's because the economy is doing so well in NYC, not because as many partisan politics people try to say, it's a hell hole.

No one wants to live in Manhattan

It is too crowded

No one wants to live in Manhattan

It is too crowded

Oh yeah. It's like a sardine can. Which is why I was surprised Google and Amazon are coming here. I understand to pros. Lots of college educated people here, lots of diversity, and a culture that most young people would LOVE! I would never live in NYC, but when I go there and visit, even as an old man, it's a fun town.. But it is crowded and expensive.

The new Census figures Thursday showed that population growth in New York was largely in New York City and its suburbs, as well as the Albany area.

But the rest of the state struggled: Population dropped nearly 93,000 in the 42 counties that had a decline between 2010 and 2017, a fall of 3 percent, the Census Bureau figures showed.

Upstate vs. downstate from 2010 to 2018...

The population figures again showed a tale of two states: Downstate is growing, and upstate is shrinking.

New York City led the state in population growth, up 5 percent, or nearly 450,000 people to more than 8.6 million.

Population rose in the lower Hudson Valley, too: up 5 percent in Rockland County to 329,000 and 3 percent in Westchester to 980,000.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/albany/2018/03/22/upstate-ny-has-population-problem/448880002/

It definitely feels that way more so than when I grew up there, and I'm a Manhattanite (Washington Heights). While there were certain areas that were exclusively rich (Upper East Side, certain areas of the Upper West Side, eastern Midtown) most were pretty mixed areas that are now very expensive. It's pretty fascinating to see luxury high rises being built right next to public housing and commanding very high rents. I had a lot of friends in Hell's Kitchen and all of them got priced out; I used to work in the area too and the gentrification there has been pretty fast. The gay community from Chelsea got priced out so they took over Hell's Kitchen, and I'm sure it won't be long until they're priced out of there as well.

Up in my former neck of the woods there's been an exodus of people from midtown; my old neighborhood was a hidden gem because many of the apartments there are very big in comparison to the tenements downtown. Another one of the driving forces for me to leave was the influx of out of staters who started moving in pretending to be NYers; they thought it was cool to be rude not understanding why the culture adapted itself that way. But I digress.....

:D

Back
Top Bottom