• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York is against National Conceal Carry.

Are you for National Conceal CArry.

• Total voters

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...republican-lax-gun-law-push-article-1.2116821

WASHINGTON — A Texas Republican’s bid to force all states to accept the lax gun laws of the country’s most firearm-friendly states has New Yorkers up in arms.
Sen. John Cornyn, the Senate’s second-ranking Republican, introduced a “concealed-carry reciprocity” bill Thursday.

“This bill is evil and dangerous,” said Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
Democrats for years have blocked similar bills. But the Republicans’ Senate takeover opened the door for congressional approval.

This is a right step for freedom even though the 2nd amendment is really all one needs to carry guns. Plus anything that the Brady Campaign calls "Evil" is generally a good pro-freedom idea. Personally I would like to see this bill allow national open carry as well but that's just how politics works.

Last edited:
Democrat party can't do **** about this. Thank god.

Good step towards freedom good step.

NY is a may issue state - and in truth it's largely "don't issue." You expect different?

“Times Square is different than rural Wyoming, and our police don’t need even law abiding citizens having the right to carry guns,” Schumer said.

I'd love to ask the esteemed Senior Senator to justify that statement. He also needs a geography lesson. NY is 19,000,000 square miles in area. Times Square is about 0.5 square miles.

Last edited:
Democrat party can't do **** about this. Thank god.

Good step towards freedom good step.

Actually they can. The Democrat president can Veto.

NY is a may issue state - and in truth it's largely "don't issue." You expect different?

I'd love to ask the esteemed Senior Senator to justify that statement. He also needs a geography lesson. NY is 19,000,000 square miles in area. Times Square is about 0.5 square miles.

Just like any May Issue state. When I was station in California as a Marine MP. I was denied a permit because "I didn't have sufficient training"

Just like any May Issue state. When I was station in California as a Marine MP. I was denied a permit because "I didn't have sufficient training"

California and NY run neck to neck in the harshness of their gun laws in practice. It is literally impossible to justify a carry permit in NYC and virtually impossible in the surrounding counties. About the only people who get them are retired cops and those who are politically connected. The average person has zero chance.

My permit only allows me to carry when hunting and when traveling to where I'm hunting or going to the range.

Once you get away from the city and it's suburbs it becomes somewhat easier but it's still at the whim of some local official.

How does you having the means to easily kill me whenever you feel like increase my freedom?

The law would be struck down by the SCOTUS even if it were enacted, but have at it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...republican-lax-gun-law-push-article-1.2116821

This is a right step for freedom even though the 2nd amendment is really all one needs to carry guns. Plus anything that the Brady Campaign calls "Evil" is generally a good pro-freedom idea. Personally I would like to see this bill allow national open carry as well but that's just how politics works.

No. Local governments should have the right to exercise discretion regarding issuing these permits.

Actually they can. The Democrat president can Veto.

That is probably the only thing that can stop it (though other tactics might delay it).

Sadly, I think this is an example of Republican hypocrisy. The GOP is only for states rights so long as the states use that authority in ways they like. At the end of the day, this is a state's rights issue. If the people living in New York do not like the way weapons permits are issued, then they need to change the New York legislature and governor's office.

Alabama should no more legislate in New York by means of issuing weapon's permits than New York can legislate in Alabama regarding the validity of SSM.

I am all for making states recognize that citizens have the right to keep and bear arms. Hopefully there are enough people to override Obama's veto.

How does you having the means to easily kill me whenever you feel like increase my freedom?

You're not talking to me, but if you were I'd tell you that I have the means right now to easily kill you.

I can probably think of a 100 ways to do it just off the top of my head and I could probably find a 1000 more in a few hours on the Internet, many of which would probably leave much less of a physical trace back to me than a legal, registered firearm would.

California and NY run neck to neck in the harshness of their gun laws in practice. It is literally impossible to justify a carry permit in NYC and virtually impossible in the surrounding counties. About the only people who get them are retired cops and those who are politically connected. The average person has zero chance.

My permit only allows me to carry when hunting and when traveling to where I'm hunting or going to the range.

Once you get away from the city and it's suburbs it becomes somewhat easier but it's still at the whim of some local official.

hopefully lots of expensive lawsuits will be used following McDonald to bludgeon the assholes in NY offices to submit to SHALL ISSUE

well if you engage in conduct that would justify a good person shooting you legally, your "freedom" means squat to me. And if someone were to shoot you for illegal reasons, no law is going to stop them because first degree murder is the most serious crime around and a murderer is undeterred by the potential punishment.

You must live in constant terror given all the ways you could be easily killed.

NYC is a very crowded city. Gun violence slowly population growth is just part of their government policy. Their leadership has their own security or surround themselves with police they don't pay for in public, so their population growth limiting policy doesn't adversely affect them.

NY doesn't have to change it's carry laws/requirement... it simply has to recognize CCLs from other states as valid..... just like they do for drivers licenses.

it's a no-brainier... of course i support it.

I also believe it's unconstitutional to NOT recognize CCLs from other states, as per the Full faith and Credit clause

NY doesn't have to change it's carry laws/requirement... it simply has to recognize CCLs from other states as valid..... just like they do for drivers licenses.

it's a no-brainier... of course i support it.

I also believe it's unconstitutional to NOT recognize CCLs from other states, as per the Full faith and Credit clause

the poll question should have included

#3) I oppose CCW for my state and nationally

#4) I support CCW for my state but I do oppose national reciprocity. Most of the people in opposition to this are anti CCW and at least one wants to ban people owning guns

That is probably the only thing that can stop it (though other tactics might delay it).

Sadly, I think this is an example of Republican hypocrisy. The GOP is only for states rights so long as the states use that authority in ways they like. At the end of the day, this is a state's rights issue. If the people living in New York do not like the way weapons permits are issued, then they need to change the New York legislature and governor's office.

Alabama should no more legislate in New York by means of issuing weapon's permits than New York can legislate in Alabama regarding the validity of SSM.

does NY recognize Alabama drivers licenses as valid?.... yes, they do

does that mean that Alabama legislated New Yorks drivers license laws/requirements?... no.. it does not.

does NY recognize Alabama drivers licenses as valid?.... yes, they do

does that mean that Alabama legislated New Yorks drivers license laws/requirements?... no.. it does not.

Does NewYork recognize Alabama licenses as a voluntary courtes?, or because they must? There is a huge difference.

As neither New york, nor Alabama are required to recognize each other's medical licenses, BAR memberships for attorneys, or say, electrician licenses, there is a good chance that the recognition of driver licenses is a courtesy only.

Does NewYork recognize Alabama licenses as a voluntary courtes?, or because they must? There is a huge difference.

As neither New york, nor Alabama are required to recognize each other's medical licenses, BAR memberships for attorneys, or say, electrician licenses, there is a good chance that the recognition of driver licenses is a courtesy only.
are you arguing from a position of state sovereignty or because you oppose people being able to carry firearms concealed?

The law would be struck down by the SCOTUS even if it were enacted, but have at it.

commerce clause, as the Fickburn case held, even if you do something for only you it may effect in minor ways the markets across the country, therefore everything can be regulated under it.

commerce clause, as the Fickburn case held, even if you do something for only you it may effect in minor ways the markets across the country, therefore everything can be regulated under it.

the idiots who wrote that majority decision should have been strung up for treason.

the idiots who wrote that majority decision should have been strung up for treason.

maybe so, but it's fun to watch people who support that logic suddenly become 10th amendment crusaders on this single issue.

Back
Top Bottom