• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York gubernatorial candidate criticizes gays

Well maybe not a murderer (depends on how far you take it). but definitely equal to racist.

Can't argue with that. I guess everyone who supports traditional marriage is equal to a racist :shrug:

Give me a break :doh

Can't argue with that. I guess everyone who supports traditional marriage is equal to a racist :shrug:

Basically yes. Can't really argue that.

In a way, yes. Because of the bigoted nature of the ideology; they seek to suppress the rights of others in order to maintain their fantasized "morals". And thus they seek to impress upon everyone else their own morals going so far as to even solicit the government to uphold their bigotry and intolerance.

I hope that one day we emerge from this second Dark Ages and that humans can once again use their brains instead of their emotions to enact law and justly govern by the rights and liberties of all the People; not just certain sectors who are deemed "moral" by an outraged few.

In a way, yes. Because of the bigoted nature of the ideology; they seek to suppress the rights of others in order to maintain their fantasized "morals". And thus they seek to impress upon everyone else their own morals going so far as to even solicit the government to uphold their bigotry and intolerance.
Sexualities don't have any inherent rights. Bestiality and pedophilia don't have rights simply because people preform actions in line with them. Any law is "bigoted." We are bigoted against child molesters (even when children consent), we are bigoted against murderers and thieves. This is why I'm glad Paladino spoke out. People shout bigot, racist, hater, and all that crap at social conservatives all the time. It's dishonest and frankly, very annoying. Most who do this are bigoted against Christians but are blind to their hatred and justify it as "standing up for the oppressed."
I hope that one day we emerge from this second Dark Ages and that humans can once again use their brains instead of their emotions to enact law and justly govern by the rights and liberties of all the People; not just certain sectors who are deemed "moral" by an outraged few.

This is why I hate debating issues regarding homosexuality. People illogically make comparisons, act out of emotion, make crappy generalizations, and make personal attacks against social conservatives. Being a Bible believing Christian isn't "living in the dark ages." Supporting traditional marriage and believing homosexuality is a sin is not equal to racism. People who are against the homosexual agenda aren't bigots. It's shallow, and it's highly annoying. This is why I love Paladino for speaking out despite illogical attacks and bland comparisons.

Sexualities don't have any inherent rights. Bestiality and pedophilia don't have rights simply because people preform actions in line with them. Any law is "bigoted." We are bigoted against child molesters (even when children consent), we are bigoted against murderers and thieves. This is why I'm glad Paladino spoke out. People shout bigot, racist, hater, and all that crap at social conservatives all the time. It's dishonest and frankly, very annoying. Most who do this are bigoted against Christians but are blind to their hatred and justify it as "standing up for the oppressed."

The difference between homosexuality, and bestiality, and pedophiles, is that homosexuality is between two consenting adults, the other two aren't. It's a bad strawman. Also, why do social conservatives always hold on to the negative traditions of the past?

This is why I hate debating issues regarding homosexuality. People illogically make comparisons, act out of emotion, make crappy generalizations, and make personal attacks against social conservatives. Being a Bible believing Christian isn't "living in the dark ages." Supporting traditional marriage and believing homosexuality is a sin is not equal to racism. People who are against the homosexual agenda aren't bigots. It's shallow, and it's highly annoying. This is why I love Paladino for speaking out despite illogical attacks and bland comparisons.

Just like your making illogical comparisons in this section of your post? I'm a Christian, yet when I read the Bible I got a little different story on this issue. Of course I didn't take it at face value, and looked into the history, context, and proper translation of the few passages that mention the subject. I could go on, but it's really off-topic, but what I'm getting at is that assuming that all Christians are against homosexuality is just plain wrong.
Also, I don't get how being against SSM is "supporting" traditional marriage, it's not like heterosexual marriage will go away if we allow SSM. Straight people are still getting married in Canada just fine.

Individuals have rights. We aren't bigoted against child molesters or murderers or thieves. People must act within the rights and liberties of the individual. You have right to life, liberty, and property and if anyone else infringes upon the base of these rights; then government force may rightfully be called down so that we may protect the rights and liberties of the individual. It's a defining characteristic of the Republic. Marriage is not some religious event alone. The Marriage license is a government issued and recognized contract enabling a wide variety of privilege and contractual obligation. Sexuality may have no rights, but individuals do. And that includes the right to contract. Thus you come out with your "moral" standards, but it's not a moral standard chosen by everyone. And you have no right to impress upon the rest of us your set of moral standards. So long as one is not infringing upon the rights of others, they are free to do as they like. They can even engage in contract if they like; including the Marriage License.

You probably hate it because you have no leg to stand on. Being a bible believing Christian is not living in the dark ages. Nor did I make that generalization. That was hyperbole used by you in order to deflect and try to make yourself out to be the victim. One can believe in anything they want. What they cannot do is attempt to use government force to enforce that set or morality if the other has done nothing against the rights and liberties of others. And this is where you fail. You can believe that homosexuality is a sin, but you can't do anything about it since there is nothing inherent in homosexuality which infringes upon the rights of others. Supporting "traditional marriage" through the use of government force, however, is equal to racism.

Do you know why the marriage license was originally created? It didn't used to be that way. The founding fathers did not have to get government's permission to be married. However, after the Civil War there was concern by those of like attitude to yours. They believed they had a moral high ground and the ability to use government to enforce that moral high ground. And what they were morally outraged about was interracial marriage. And thus the Marriage License was born. You had to get that contract through the government and it was only held to interracial couples at first. It was a way to prevent differing races from marrying. After all, it's immoral. The SCOTUS ruled that it couldn't be held to interracial couples alone, and thus the Marriage License was extended to everyone who wished to be married (instead of the logical thing which would have been to abolish the Marriage License). In time, people learned the illogical nature of the "morally superior" cry of the racist minority wishing to impose their will upon the rest of us. Now interracial marriage is no big thing.

But like those racists who claimed to have the moral ground, those against same sex marriage work in exactly the same light. They claim to have some "morally superior" ground. They rant and rave about how we have to treat this or that as immoral. But most unforgivable of them all, they seek to enact government power against the rights and liberties of others to impress upon us all their own version of their morality. You're not the only one who lives in this country, and while it's fine to have a set of morals of your own; you may not rightfully and justly attempt to enact that moral code through government force at the expense of the rights of others. You become the thief, robbing others of their liberty. An act deftly against the principles of this Republic.

^^^ I don't think anything more needs to be said. Great post! :rock

I give him a few weeks before he's caught tapping feet in a men's room.

Back
Top Bottom