• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York Governor Calls for Limits on the First Amendment in Response to Psychotic Killer

So, a killer wrote a 180 page "screed" (which I can't find anywhere, and I'd like to read it, so I could know what the hell the guy was writing, rather than rely on the media to tell me what they think it says), and so NY Governor Hochul thinks that nobody should be allowed to talk about "replacement theory."

All we apparently get to know, though, is that the 180 pages consisted of racist memes and slurs, and that he repeatedly talked about "the great replacement" or something. We don't get to read it ourselves now. And, now Hochul wants to make it illegal to refer to any "replacement," which, of course, to Democrats means that nobody should be able to say that illegal immigration is a problem because it's changing American demographics quickly and unsustainably. If you say that, then it's a form of "replacement theory."

One can already see where this is going. They'll take a psycho's "manifesto" of a seriously mentally ill person who shot people in a tragic and horrid incident, and they'll overlay that on anything "conservative" or "right wing" (which nowadays is anything right of Mao, and that will be called "hate speech" which must be censored from the internet, lest someone act violently.
Good job taking the Boston Herald's word for it all.

So, a killer wrote a 180 page "screed" (which I can't find anywhere, and I'd like to read it, so I could know what the hell the guy was writing, rather than rely on the media to tell me what they think it says), and so NY Governor Hochul thinks that nobody should be allowed to talk about "replacement theory."

All we apparently get to know, though, is that the 180 pages consisted of racist memes and slurs, and that he repeatedly talked about "the great replacement" or something. We don't get to read it ourselves now. And, now Hochul wants to make it illegal to refer to any "replacement," which, of course, to Democrats means that nobody should be able to say that illegal immigration is a problem because it's changing American demographics quickly and unsustainably. If you say that, then it's a form of "replacement theory."

One can already see where this is going. They'll take a psycho's "manifesto" of a seriously mentally ill person who shot people in a tragic and horrid incident, and they'll overlay that on anything "conservative" or "right wing" (which nowadays is anything right of Mao, and that will be called "hate speech" which must be censored from the internet, lest someone act violently.
Well, I didn't see the governor say that the state should limit anyone's speech or criminalize any form of speech. She expressed an opinion on what private entities can and should do. They can choose to follow her suggestions or not. None of that is a violation of the 1A.

I'm not going to test the notion, but I doubt if you or I started promoting the Great Replacement theory that we'd remain on DP. Is that a violation of free speech because the Gov. agrees with the moderators on DP?

Twas I. It was very difficult to find.

View attachment 67391168

I think social media is separate from free speech. I do not think an organization should be forced to host videos of mass shootings and those shooters manifestos.

Dylann Roof. Not at all surprised to see he's a fan of Dylann's.

I've been through all that. He's not said anything racist. What he's saying in every clip is that this is a strategy used by the Democrats - the Democrats like bringing in folks who they think will eventually be new Democrats. And, from what I see, that does appear to be why the Democrats love the open borders.
The idea that immigrants are replacing us is racist. Who is us? Obviously he means White people. He says they are destroying our (White) culture. He claims they are "destroying America". That American voters are being replaced with "foreign" invader voters.

I would say that is pretty racist. Many immigrants are very conservative and Christian who only skew Dem because the GOP so openly hates them. Some still vote red anyway, like Cubans.

The shooter is always psychotic when he makes somebody look bad.

He can never just be evil.

This stuff is incredibly racist. That said the governor is encouraging the suppression of free speech

You can criticize his solution, but I think we have to recognize there is an issue. This shooter and many others have explicitly said they were radicalized to act by seeing the actions of other shooters on social media. He wanted to radicalize more people and that's why he streamed it on Twitch. He lays out all this in his manifesto. His radicalization through far right memes and prior mass shooters, how he tried to emulated them, and how he acted how he did to try to inspire more people in the same way he was.

And there’s a steady parade of people who buy this racist crap on here trying to excuse it, rationalize it, or pretend it’s legitimate.

So she called on social media to crack down...that's it?

Really that's it....

The idea that immigrants are replacing us is racist. Who is us? Obviously he means White people. He says they are destroying our (White) culture. He claims they are "destroying America". That American voters are being replaced with "foreign" invader voters.

I would say that is pretty racist. Many immigrants are very conservative and Christian who only skew Dem because the GOP so openly hates them. Some still vote red anyway, like Cubans.

If people want to live in a mostly white country, they should move to Scandinavia.

No American voter is being replaced with a "foreign invader voter".

My God, I am so sick of the ugliness of these people. Meanwhile, I can count on one hand the number of people on the "right" who have expressed even a single thought of sympathy for the 10 dead people now lying in a morgue.

I've been through all that. He's not said anything racist. What he's saying in every clip is that this is a strategy used by the Democrats - the Democrats like bringing in folks who they think will eventually be new Democrats. And, from what I see, that does appear to be why the Democrats love the open borders.
If the Great Replacement theory isn't racist then what Carlson said isn't racist. But it's racist at the core, and everyone knows it. Or maybe you could call it non-racist white nationalism, which is just white supremacy. Or bigotry. Pick your term. It all means the same thing - be afraid of the brown people and the black people. Only whites should be able to vote and rule this great nation, etc.

It looks like we're just a few months from the GOP openly becoming the Dixiecrats in all but name who will openly embrace white supremacy as their core value. We're virtually there now - the gaslighting is obvious to everyone. The embrace of Carlson by the MAGAs is all we need to know.

If the Great Replacement theory isn't racist then what Carlson said isn't racist. But it's racist at the core, and everyone knows it. Or maybe you could call it non-racist white nationalism, which is just white supremacy. Or bigotry. Pick your term. It all means the same thing - be afraid of the brown people and the black people. Only whites should be able to vote and rule this great nation, etc.

It looks like we're just a few months from the GOP openly becoming the Dixiecrats in all but name who will openly embrace white supremacy as their core value. We're virtually there now - the gaslighting is obvious to everyone. The embrace of Carlson by the MAGAs is all we need to know.

It's all I need to know. After almost 40 years of supporting the Republican Party, all I see today are a bunch of ignorant paranoid bigots who no longer keep their ignorant bigotry to themselves. They wave it around like a flag. Tucker has enabled them, and emboldened them.

Well, I didn't see the governor say that the state should limit anyone's speech or criminalize any form of speech. She expressed an opinion on what private entities can and should do. They can choose to follow her suggestions or not. None of that is a violation of the 1A.

I'm not going to test the notion, but I doubt if you or I started promoting the Great Replacement theory that we'd remain on DP. Is that a violation of free speech because the Gov. agrees with the moderators on DP?
Where the government twists private entities' arms to limit free speech then it's a problem. I agree with your point that as of now, nothing has been done to violate the 1A. But it's always a concern when a Governor tries to tell us what we should and shouldn't be permitted to say in public.

Sure, DP could ban me for talking about the great replacement theory, but it would be disappointing if it did. We should be able to have a thread here talking about what the various theories are, who espouses them, what they're based on, etc. We are not obligated to, and ought not be obligated to, take orders from the governor about what we should be able to talk about. And, she may call it hate speech, but that's her own view of it. She's entitled to it. But hate speech is protected speech.

It is easier to pretend it is an individual problem caused by mental illness and not a ideological attack driven by political motivations. Because then it is a systemic problem and we have to do something about it.

How cute a dishonest meme, remind us how the Indians came to the America's or ever owned land
It's odd that the folks to spread such memes live here, too, and they don't seem to be in a hurry to move out. LOL

He could be both. His manifesto sounds like he's suffering from a serious break from reality, though.

Where the government twists private entities' arms to limit free speech then it's a problem. I agree with your point that as of now, nothing has been done to violate the 1A. But it's always a concern when a Governor tries to tell us what we should and shouldn't be permitted to say in public.

Sure, DP could ban me for talking about the great replacement theory, but it would be disappointing if it did. We should be able to have a thread here talking about what the various theories are, who espouses them, what they're based on, etc. We are not obligated to, and ought not be obligated to, take orders from the governor about what we should be able to talk about. And, she may call it hate speech, but that's her own view of it. She's entitled to it. But hate speech is protected speech.
One could say her statements are a form of pressure from an agent of the government

It's a violation of the first amendment

So, a killer wrote a 180 page "screed" (which I can't find anywhere, and I'd like to read it, so I could know what the hell the guy was writing,
Short term memory issues? You literally just described it as a "screed."

YES! YES! YES!

It is time to update the First Amendment.

No one should be allowed to talk about the Replacement Theory.

No one should be allowed to talk about CRT, either.

The (nominal) President's new disinformation czaress should have the authority to censor any topic that deals with ethnicity.
Silence your critics eh?

How cute a dishonest meme, remind us how the Indians came to the America's or ever owned land

Quite possibly across a frozen landbridge from the Asian continent tens of thousands of years ago, or in some instances, something potentially similar from Europe. As for owning land, they were the only people there, who recognized at least tribal territorial integrity and access to hunting and farming resources, even if they didn't have the western concept of personal land title deeds.

Why?

The point of the meme is that someone lived on the land first and was displaced. It's a bit rich for those who displaced them to complain now they think they are being displaced as the 'rightful owners.'

And back to the OP this is now being used as an excuse by white supremacists to promote genocide. Sickening really.

Back
Top Bottom