• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York: Don’t expect weed to be everywhere if it’s legalized

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/dont-expect-weed-to-be-everywhere-if-its-legalized/

Weed may not be available everywhere in New York if the state legalizes recreational marijuana.

Gov. Cuomo said Monday that he will give local governments the right to continue the current prohibition on weed sales when, and if, New York legalizes weed.
=============================================
Local option but those that opt out (county level) will not get share of anticipated $300M tax income from sales elsewhere.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/dont-expect-weed-to-be-everywhere-if-its-legalized/

Weed may not be available everywhere in New York if the state legalizes recreational marijuana.

Gov. Cuomo said Monday that he will give local governments the right to continue the current prohibition on weed sales when, and if, New York legalizes weed.
Local option but those that opt out (county level) will not get share of anticipated $300M tax income from sales elsewhere.

Unless that's a bone thrown to some people to sign off on the bill, and it wouldn't pass otherwise, I don't get the logic... So I could in my area legally buy and possess it in Knox County, but I might have to get rid of it if I go fishing in Anderson county which is just a couple miles from my house, or go pick up my wife at the airport in Blount county, also about 5 miles away? Sounds like an excellent way to have a bunch of BS pot arrests if some cop wants to pin something on someone. Wonder how that would work with the state highway patrol. Wait till you get into a 'dry' county before pulling you over and searching the car for pot?

Newsflash, Gov, this isn't about availability. Has he never been to NY?

There are approximately 45 dry towns in NYS where you can't buy a drink. It is likely whatever state law is passed, these towns and others will prohibit recreational marijuana. These are all tight knit, religious and conservative people. They are entitled to live as they see fit, so long as they harm no one and they don't. No one is forced to live in the communities. It is a personal choice.

Unless that's a bone thrown to some people to sign off on the bill, and it wouldn't pass otherwise, I don't get the logic... So I could in my area legally buy and possess it in Knox County, but I might have to get rid of it if I go fishing in Anderson county which is just a couple miles from my house, or go pick up my wife at the airport in Blount county, also about 5 miles away? Sounds like an excellent way to have a bunch of BS pot arrests if some cop wants to pin something on someone. Wonder how that would work with the state highway patrol. Wait till you get into a 'dry' county before pulling you over and searching the car for pot?

You're over reacting. In the dry towns, no one sells, that doesn't mean no one drinks.

Communities in Mass also have the Right to ban sales in their own communities so this not unusual. However, no local ordinance can prohibit an adult from growing their own within the parameters of the law.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Suffolk County on eastern Long Island is more conservative than Nassau County on the western end but Suffolk also has the rtizy Hamptons. Westchester & Putnam are where the money is but Dutchess to the north of them was primarily agricultural last time I looked. Big cities like Rochester, Syracuse & Buffalo will likely swing pro-pot, as would the capitol, Albany. But the Southern Tier is primarily agricultural except for islands of relative affluence around the Finger Lakes & Corning. Lot of trees & grass in between.

You're over reacting. In the dry towns, no one sells, that doesn't mean no one drinks.

Ah, I guess I misread the article. I was thinking pot would still be illegal to possess/use in the "dry" counties like under current law. If the counties just decide not to legalize pot stores, that's fine. :peace

I'm pretty familiar with 'dry' counties. Several of them around me, or used to be anyway, in the mountain regions. Maybe it was the 'moonshiner' lobby that kept legal liquor out.... ;)

Possession and intent to sell our two different laws. No local ordinance can make it illegel to possess up to a certain amount. Your scenario is reminiscent of several dry counties down South. You cant purchase alcohol, but its legel to possess.

Possession and intent to sell our two different laws. No local ordinance can make it illegel to possess up to a certain amount. Your scenario is reminiscent of several dry counties down South. You cant purchase alcohol, but its legel to possess.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said in a comment above yours, I misread the article and thought the 'opt out' would also make/leave possession illegal, which just seemed like it could create a lot of potential problems for people not intending to break any law. :peace

Wikipedia tells me several of the counties in the mountain region nearby are still 'dry' although I think the data are out of date. That works fine - it's up to them if they want liquor/pot stores in their community. Knox county (where I live) doesn't mind the extra sales. One store near our old house was right on the county line with a formerly 'dry' county and did a great business!

Newsflash, Gov, this isn't about availability. Has he never been to NY?

Yeah but.... what if the kids start smoking?!?

No cancer. No physical addiction. No hangover. No loss of judgement beyond the trivial (food, entertainment). Kids today have serious problems. Most could probably use it medically, with their ****ed up families and society today. It really shouldn't be a concern.

I guess this is a radical position, but I'm gonna give the big middle finger to any "think of the children" crap.

No cancer. No physical addiction. No hangover. No loss of judgement beyond the trivial (food, entertainment). Kids today have serious problems. Most could probably use it medically, with their ****ed up families and society today. It really shouldn't be a concern.

I guess this is a radical position, but I'm gonna give the big middle finger to any "think of the children" crap.

My angle was more along the lines of your opening remark: they can get it anyway. Race is more about who gets caught and how they are treated. I remember weed was far easier to get than alcohol in high school. I'd imagine that this is increasingly true as the population density increases.

Edit: as for safety, yes, it is extremely safe. But there is some indication that there may be negative effects on brain development for those below a certain age. Granted, out of everything they might as well be smoking weed because it has the least worst affects, and prohibition never goes anywhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Like I said in a comment above yours, I misread the article and thought the 'opt out' would also make/leave possession illegal, which just seemed like it could create a lot of potential problems for people not intending to break any law. :peace

Wikipedia tells me several of the counties in the mountain region nearby are still 'dry' although I think the data are out of date. That works fine - it's up to them if they want liquor/pot stores in their community. Knox county (where I live) doesn't mind the extra sales. One store near our old house was right on the county line with a formerly 'dry' county and did a great business!

I have no problem with counties opting out of legel sales. But, they cant have it both ways, the same communities should not receive the State wide wind fall from such sales. You snooze, you loose.

Last edited:

I'm okay with this as a compromise. New York City would almost certainly legalize it, and many upstate municipalities wouldn't.

Food For Thought:

One Year Later: Why California’s Cannabis Industry is Falling Short of Expectations
What Other States Can Learn From California's Mistakes

January 8, 2019
California was the sixth state to legalize recreational marijuana, following Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Alaska. With its first year behind it, the once-promised thriving industry is looking bleak, a convoluted issue that has led to a variety of broken promises and let-downs. When voters passed Proposition 64 to legalize the recreational use of cannabis, officials predicted roughly 6,000 cannabis shops to be licensed in California within the first couple years. One year later, we are looking at a state with only 547 temporary and annual licenses for marijuana dispensaries, which doesn’t come close to lining up with the original prediction.
https://www.wikileaf.com/thestash/california-legal-industry/

The regulations will give Big Corporate advantage in marketing and stifle local entreprenuers. That's the way gubmint operates. They'll also tax the piss out of it to the extent that the bootleg version may be cheaper than the legal variety. Look at California and see NY 5 years down the road.
/

Food For Thought:

One Year Later: Why California’s Cannabis Industry is Falling Short of Expectations
What Other States Can Learn From California's Mistakes

January 8, 2019

https://www.wikileaf.com/thestash/california-legal-industry/

Cuomo claims his committee is studying the best possible tax structure so that users don't return to their illicit dealers because of the price differential, as well as deciding eligibility for sales i.e. current licensed liquor stores, specialized stores, local candy and bodega type stores, those who sell lottery tickers, my next door neighbor,,,

We will see what develops this next year. Big holding companies are investing in growers and wholesalers in anticipation of future legitimization. In the end it will no surprise if the best laid plans all go up in smoke. :)

Back
Top Bottom