• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New York City Terror Plot Foiled

Paul

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13749418/

This is what happens when no one leaks information on top secret information.

NEW YORK - Authorities have disrupted planning by foreign terrorists for an attack on the transportation network, including tunnels, in the New York City-New Jersey area, officials said Friday.

"We have disrupted a terrorist network that was in the planning stages of an attack," said a statement released jointly at midmorning by the FBI and Department of Homeland Security.

NBC News has learned from a senior counterterrorism official that U.S. and New York City authorities had known about a plot to blow up a tunnel in the city and flood the downtown area for a year and a half, but the plan was not advanced and never moved beyond the discussion stage.

::Major_Baker:: said:
no, this is what happens when the 'war on terror' is fought via intelligence/data sharing and law enforcement.

No this is what happens when we have a President and congress who believe in the CIA, and other intelligence agencies, and do not cripple their funds and sources.

Paul said:
No this is what happens when we have a President and congress who believe in the CIA, and other intelligence agencies, and do not cripple their funds and sources.
yeah sure.

btw, this was a joint investigation/statement by the FBI and the DHS.

yeah sure.

btw, this was a joint investigation/statement by the FBI and the DHS.

Thanks for the link, it was very interesting.............

"White House spokesman Taylor Gross noted that FBI funding has increased by more than 50 percent between 2000 and 2004, not including supplemental funds such as those requested after Sept. 11. Under President Bush, "the FBI has been reformed to make counterterrorism its No. 1 priority," Gross said. "No matter what sort of rhetoric gets thrown about in a campaign season, it doesn't change the fact that this president is committed to fighting the war on terrorism."

Deegan said:
Thanks for the link, it was very interesting.............

"White House spokesman Taylor Gross noted that FBI funding has increased by more than 50 percent between 2000 and 2004, not including supplemental funds such as those requested after Sept. 11. Under President Bush, "the FBI has been reformed to make counterterrorism its No. 1 priority," Gross said. "No matter what sort of rhetoric gets thrown about in a campaign season, it doesn't change the fact that this president is committed to fighting the war on terrorism."
emergency funds requested by the FBI were still denied, were they not?

emergency funds requested by the FBI were still denied, were they not?

Sure, but if they went to the CIA for instance, then it makes perfect sense, the fact remains, their funds went up 50%, and that seems more then approriate.

Paul said:
Check this link

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budgetcharts/index.html

Click on "FBI Funding Increases"

Shows spending for the last 6 years.
as it should.
any president/administration would do the same after the biggest terrorist attack on our soil ever.

However, the fact remains that requested emergency funds were denied directly after this said attack.

as it should.
any president/administration would do the same after the biggest terrorist attack on our soil ever.

However, the fact remains that requested emergency funds were denied directly after this said attack.

And you don't care to know why, only that on the surface, it makes for a nice smear before the 2004 elections.:confused:

my original point is that many conservatives were arguing after 9/11 that law enforcement was not the key answer to solving the terrorism problem. Busts like this show the opposite.

Great that bush is increasing FBI spending, we need to do that.

my original point is that many conservatives were arguing after 9/11 that law enforcement was not the key answer to solving the terrorism problem. Busts like this show the opposite.

Great that bush is increasing FBI spending, we need to do that.

My point was always that just law enforcement alone would not solve the problem, but I think the major problem I had, was that these agencies could not communicate. This "wall" that was built during the Clinton admin. was the problem, not these agencies. I think together they foiled this plot, as it should be, and I am happy to see it is working.

This is what happens in a propoganda campaign to plant even more fear in people.. and oddly enough on the day the UK mourns its dead on 7/7/05.

Do I think it is legit.. sure, but releasing such information on 7/7 makes nothing more than a pathetic attempt to strike fear in the population.. might as well just raise the terror level.. same effect.

Also from what we know so far, its just another cry wolf than an actual detailed planed possible attack. What does this make.. 2 "cry wolf" attempts in a month by the US goverment?.. they really getting desperate in inciting fear in its own population.

Plus have you even read the so called plans? Bombing a tunnel to flood parts of New York... parts of New York that are above sea level? Impressive how dumb terrorists are some times.... much like terrorist, christian fundementalists, planning to bomb the Sears Tower to promote Jihad...

PeteEU said:
This is what happens in a propoganda campaign to plant even more fear in people.. and oddly enough on the day the UK mourns its dead on 7/7/05.

Do I think it is legit.. sure, but releasing such information on 7/7 makes nothing more than a pathetic attempt to strike fear in the population.. might as well just raise the terror level.. same effect.

Also from what we know so far, its just another cry wolf than an actual detailed planed possible attack. What does this make.. 2 "cry wolf" attempts in a month by the US goverment?.. they really getting desperate in inciting fear in its own population.

Plus have you even read the so called plans? Bombing a tunnel to flood parts of New York... parts of New York that are above sea level? Impressive how dumb terrorists are some times.... much like terrorist, christian fundementalists, planning to bomb the Sears Tower to promote Jihad...

Or it could be that all agents involved are proud of their hard work and determination, and want to share that with the people! But I guess you know more then they do, and this is all about frightening people!:roll:

PeteEU said:

Ridiculous and comments like this are exactly what keeps me voting Republican again and again. The article didn't prompt "fear" in me it made me feel even more secure. Your comments though....scary.

This good news by all accounts.

How anyone can say this is just the government playing fear tactics is absolutely ludicrous.

I guess it would have been better if these attacks came to fruition that way people could complain the government wasn't doing enough. :roll:

FTFA

"The FBI and Homeland Security statement said information about the plot was obtained through monitoring chat rooms and e-mail messages on radical Muslim Web sites."

MSNBC should be tried for treason. The FBI and DHS should be tried for treason. The cats out of the bag now. No more naughty chat for joo! They now know they are being watched.

Have a nice ....
http://images2.dmusic.com/users/s/o/u/soulbeats/28967.jpg

Click on the above link at your own risk.

talloulou said:
Ridiculous and comments like this are exactly what keeps me voting Republican again and again. The article didn't prompt "fear" in me it made me feel even more secure. Your comments though....scary.

Pay him no mind. He is European and part of the problem.

talloulou said:

Whats scary?

Its 7/7 and all of a sudden a new "terror" plot that is prevented is announced?

Fine lets say that there was a terror plot in the planning.. heck even the guy in Lebanon has admitted so much, although I doubt the confession would ever stand in a normal court in Europe let alone the US. These guys were all nabbed abroad and probally suffered torture and would admit to anything under torture.. thats the nature of the beast.

Lets look at the plan as far as we know.. Bomb a tunnel to flood parts of New York... parts that are over sea level.. so would they install pumps in the tunnel to pump water up or?

Seriously its fine that they nabbed these possible terrorists, if thats what they were.. but they could also have been pissed off youth in the Arab world venting thier anger by "planning" terror attacks and considering that they would have defy the laws of gravity to make the plan work....well I am extremely sceptical. Whats next, members of this board who are anti Bush being picked up during the night for making comments here?

This smells more like another PR stunt, like the Sears Towers plot by radical christians...

no, this is what happens when the 'war on terror' is fought via intelligence/data sharing and law enforcement.

You mean the Patriot Act and "illegal" wire tapping that so threatens our civil rights and freedoms?

Last edited:
GySgt said:
Pay him no mind. He is European and part of the problem.

Rich coming from you.. just shows your true side..

PeteEU said:

My "true side" is always obvious. Where have you been? Your saving grace is that you are in Spain and your government very much looks forward along side America and not in France, Italy, or Germany where "Old Europe" is still clinging to past criminality and corruption.

PeteEU said:

I think you are still angry that the agencies in Spain could not track their own terrorists before it was too late, but don't take that out on us, we are doing our best to protect our own. I understand it must sting that your country had to cower to the terrorists, and run from the war with their tail between their legs, but that is not our fault.

GySgt said:
You mean the Patriot Act and "illegal" wire tapping that so threatens our civil rights and freedoms?

amen to that.

I think PeteEU is spot on in his assessment and I think if you look at what he has said dispassionately, you will find more than a kernel of truth.

We now know that the DHS color coded warnings were manipulated for purely political reasons so that stunt is off the table. And now we are served up a number of highly publicized captures of "evil doers" that are wannabe's at best and had no operational means of performing a terrorist act.

Ron Suskind has published a timely book, "The One Percent Doctrine, that paints a gripping tale of our take charge President in the days following 9/11.
A second, far greater attack was in the works but has been staved off by great leadership. Cheney will likely remind us once again that if a Democrat is elected president, there will another terror attack on US soil.

It is the stated strategy of the Republican party to paint Democrats weak on the war on terror, and to convince the voters that only Republicans have the power to fight this war and protect the homeland. This strategy worked in 2004 so no one should be surprised to see it trotted out once again. Fear does influence the voters.

Step back for a moment and just think about it.

Back
Top Bottom