• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York City launches $100 million universal health insurance program

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...versal-health-insurance-program-idUSKCN1P21WF

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City has launched a $100 million health insurance program to cover 600,000 uninsured residents, including those unable to afford coverage and those living in the United States illegally, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Tuesday.

De Blasio, now in his second term as mayor of the country’s most populous city, has long supported universal healthcare coverage. Extending the program to an estimated 300,000 illegal immigrants puts the Democrat at odds with U.S. President Donald Trump, who has made border security a top priority for his presidency.
=================================================
Big difference between de Blasio & Trump. One wants to help the immigrants, the other wants to deport them.

The tab for that will be enormous on the tax payer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...versal-health-insurance-program-idUSKCN1P21WF

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City has launched a $100 million health insurance program to cover 600,000 uninsured residents, including those unable to afford coverage and those living in the United States illegally, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Tuesday.

De Blasio, now in his second term as mayor of the country’s most populous city, has long supported universal healthcare coverage. Extending the program to an estimated 300,000 illegal immigrants puts the Democrat at odds with U.S. President Donald Trump, who has made border security a top priority for his presidency.
Big difference between de Blasio & Trump. One wants to help the immigrants, the other wants to deport them.

That (bolded above) will certainly discourage illegal immigration. ;)

How dare you put a price tag on "fairness"? You must be a bigot, racist and xenophobe who loves income inequality. ;)

Will you ever have the decency to differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants. My grandparents were in the former category. Resent grouping them with illegals.

The city has an enormous tax base which can easily assume another $100 million. Annual budget of nearly $90 billion. So this is a relative drop in the bucket,but good for headlines. Mayor does have presidential aspirations IMO.

One hundred million divided by six hundred thousand is $166.67.

De Blasio had better hope a really SMALL number of those six hundred thousand actually use this program.

i'm not convinced that it can work at the state level. a state doesn't have the negotiating power that a national single payer would have. either way, i'm glad that they are at least trying to move in the right direction.

i'm not convinced that it can work at the state level. a state doesn't have the negotiating power that a national single payer would have. either way, i'm glad that they are at least trying to move in the right direction.

This is a city initiative, not state. Unless I read it wrong. Which makes it even odder.
The report says too it'll extend to 300,000 illegal residents. Can there really be that many illegals in NYC?

This is a city initiative, not state. Unless I read it wrong. Which makes it even odder.
The report says too it'll extend to 300,000 illegal residents. Can there really be that many illegals in NYC?

Remember NYC has a population of nearly 9 million. So 300K is probably low and would be similar to if not lower than the national average.

i don't see a city pulling it off. the health care costs in this country are just insanely high, and the city would have very little power to push those costs down.

i don't see a city pulling it off. the health care costs in this country are just insanely high, and the city would have very little power to push those costs down.

One reason for the insanely high costs, one of several, is the astronomically high cost of malpractice insurance, which is driven by litigation and lottery-win sized court awards. I read a report a couple years ago that said a surgeon in Miami paid $250,000 for malpractice insurance that cost $12,000 in Vancouver. Those numbers are from memory but they can't be far off.

One reason for the insanely high costs, one of several, is the astronomically high cost of malpractice insurance, which is driven by litigation and lottery-win sized court awards. I read a report a couple years ago that said a surgeon in Miami paid $250,000 for malpractice insurance that cost $12,000 in Vancouver. Those numbers are from memory but they can't be far off.

it's definitely a problem.

Another Democrat giving illegals benefits with taxpayer dollars.

$100 million will pay for healthcare for 10,000 for one year using the average national spending in America, and New York is an expensive city.....claiming that it will supply care to 600,000 does not pass the laugh test.

You forgot the word 'illegal' No one wants to deport legal immigrants.

The program is not limited to illegal immigrants

You forgot the word 'illegal' No one wants to deport legal immigrants.

Trump does

Dreamers are here legally. Trump wants them deported.

Immigrants with temporary protected status are here legally. Trump wants them deported

And his base agrees with him

Trump does

Dreamers are here legally. Trump wants them deported.

Immigrants with temporary protected status are here legally. Trump wants them deported

And his base agrees with him

Actually that is incorrect. He has stated before that Congress needs to get something passed that favors dreamers, or as they're more recently called, DACA recipients.

The program is not limited to illegal immigrants

No, I know. I said it'll 'extend to'. I'm just surprised at the number 300,000. Just off the top of my head I'd have guessed that the cost of living in NYC would make illegal immigrants move on somewhere else.

Just one more reason to be thankful you don't live in New York city!! New York state and New York city with extremely high taxes just caused them to go up higher. I sure hope they don't get a dime of federal money to pay for this.

So middle class taxpayers are taking it in the shorts again and will be paying for about 300,000 illegal aliens healthcare. Never mind that the tax payers are struggling to pay for their own family to be covered. This is the crap the democrats will try to shove down our throats on a national bases. That whooshing sound is more people leaving New York!!

No, I know. I said it'll 'extend to'. I'm just surprised at the number 300,000. Just off the top of my head I'd have guessed that the cost of living in NYC would make illegal immigrants move on somewhere else.

Not when New York's nickname is the Welfare State.

Back
Top Bottom