• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York attorney general probes perplexing Trump Tower Chicago loan deal

And yet your defense in why the IRS missed this every year is...they are stupid......that's convincing.

No, I said more than that but I don't really care why, and it's unclear why it matters to you.

And you know they were aware of a massive case of tax fraud how exactly?

It helps when defending Trump to have a passing familiarity with the issues. Yes, the allegation I've been addressing involves $100 million - that's a big number - in unreported taxable INCOME. That impacts federal and state INCOME tax returns.

Now you're saying the IRS is investigating him as well? (Beyond the in depth audits he is likely subject to each year.) Is there no lie you won't spread?

Again, no one is defending Donald Trump. He's not smart enough to commit tax fraud and not get caught, as you are asserting. He's not some criminal mastermind; he will be investigated and either cleared or convicted. That's why it's laughable to suggest that he was somehow able to evade detection for almost two decades.

Now you're saying the IRS is investigating him as well? (Beyond the in depth audits he is likely subject to each year.) Is there no lie you won't spread?

No, I didn't say that IRS is investigating. I have no idea if they have or are now investigating the hotel or looked at this transaction. Weird you'd make that up. :confused:

You said, "I don't know why the IRS would have been involved; is it alleged Donald Trump cheated on his income taxes?" Yes, that's the allegation, and the transaction is income taxable under both federal and state laws.

Again, no one is defending Donald Trump. He's not smart enough to commit tax fraud and not get caught, as you are asserting. He's not some criminal mastermind; he will be investigated and either cleared or convicted. That's why it's laughable to suggest that he was somehow able to evade detection for almost two decades.

From what we've read in several cases, he is in fact smart enough to commit tax fraud and not get caught. This transaction is a good example. It's been caught, but something like 7 years after the fact. Why do you think this is surprising?

Last edited:
I don't believe Trump anticipated that winning the presidency would place him under the microscope and hold him accountable.

Oh, has he been held accountable? That remains to be seen.

No, I didn't say that IRS is investigating. I have no idea if they have or are now investigating the hotel or looked at this transaction. Weird you'd make that up. :confused:

You said, "I don't know why the IRS would have been involved; is it alleged Donald Trump cheated on his income taxes?" Yes, that's the allegation, and the transaction is income taxable under both federal and state laws.

From what we've read in several cases, he is in fact smart enough to commit tax fraud and not get caught. This transaction is a good example. It's been caught, but something like 7 years after the fact. Why do you think this is surprising?

7 years? Wasn't Trump tower Chicago begun in 2005, so any loans would have originated before that. It seems you're conflating and confusing multiple incidents.

Your defense of Trump as smart is noted. We'll have to disagree on that point. He's clearly an idiot.

7 years? Wasn't Trump tower Chicago begun in 2005, so any loans would have originated before that. It seems you're conflating and confusing multiple incidents.

No, I'm not confusing or conflating anything. It appears you're willfully ignorant of easily obtained facts, and/or do not understand even a little bit what the allegations involve. Borrowing money isn't a taxable event. This is from the NY AG filing, page 10 of the document here: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/doc_11_memorandum_of_law.pdf

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 2.03.17 PM.jpg

The income triggering event was the settlement in 2012 of the $150 million loan for about $50 million, resulting in $100 million in forgiveness of indebtedness income - that's the amount Fortress wrote off, in 2012, which is income to the hotel. The returns for 2012 would be filed in 2013. 2020 minus 2013 is....seven years.

Your defense of Trump as smart is noted. We'll have to disagree on that point. He's clearly an idiot.

I doubt if it was Trump personally who did his tax planning. He hired lawyers and accountants for that. He just had to approve the deals, and the proof the plan was fairly well done is in the pudding - it wasn't caught by IRS or state authorities. That's not surprising to me.

If the allegations are false, the timing makes all the difference, wouldn't you say? They aren't prosecuting anything right now....they are still looking for information.....but again, Trump has a what, 40 year career in NY real estate, and just NOW they become interested in things that happened when, 2009? 2010, 2012? The fact that you don't even think to question the timing of it, shows how partisan you are.

Allegations can absolutely be 100% true........then the question is, why wait until NOW to do something about it? Because ding ding ding.....election right around the corner, yet 8 ****ing years ago, it was no big deal...right?
Except, of course, you are ignoring the two operative facts that explode your entire argument: First, this investigation was launched over a year ago, so the premise is just plain false. Second, they didn't just launch the inquiry on a whim, they are responding to a specific, credible complaint. It would be unethical and irresponsible to ignore that information. It would be like a cop getting a 911 call and just ignoring it. Finally, there's a statute of limitations. The longer it is delayed, the more crimes cannot be pursued.

Last edited:
The NY AG is a woman, and of course she has jusrisdiction - both the Trump Organization and Deutschebanke are NY corporations.
Why let a few facts and the law get in the way? (I'm referring to your correspondent. )

Back
Top Bottom