• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York Attorney General asks judge to hold Donald Trump in contempt for refusing to turn over documents

Can you pay a $10,000 a day fine from contributions? Will it ever be paid at all?
Well, I am sure there are legal recourse for fines. They can got to court to get an executive order to seize assets.

Trump did not state that he "forgot what he did with them". You made that part up.

Trump said that "none of the documents could be found".

People misplace documents all the time. How was Trump supposed to know which documents the N.Y.A.G. would demand he produce?
You really are a trumpist….

Trump should simply say the documents which the AG seeks cannot be found.

Which he did:

Trump also said that subject to his objections ’he would not produce any documents” responsive to the subpoena” because his lawyer said that none of the documents could be found, the filing said. (from the CNBC article)

That "may" be true, he was too busy shredding and flushing them down the toilets so they may be gone by now.

Leticia James sounds familiar.

Oh, WAIT....lawyer, activist, racist. "Nuff said.

Leticia James hasn't had the honor of having to give a press conference at the four seasons next to the dildo shop like pedophile Giuliani has.

Leticia James hasn't had the honor of having to give a press conference at the four seasons next to the dildo shop like pedophile Giuliani has.
Activist is "Nuff said. That means racist when someone is "of color".

Activist is "Nuff said. That means racist when someone is "of color".

Guiliani was an activist. Period. He peddled the "Big Lie" and he's a scumsucking pedophile lawyer.

That there was massive election fraud, DUH. Seriously Trump supporters will believe anything.
You know this is a "lie" because you heard it was?

If it's a matter of wording then they'll cure that directly, but Trump isn't going to slide claiming his dog ate his homework.
It's a little more than a matter of wording. Trump owns a company - one he hasn't been involved in the day to day operation of for over six years. Even if he signed off on the final form of some of those documents, he was probably never involved in the detailed preparation. and certainly not filing away of records. It makes sense that the AG needs to go to the company for the information.

It's a little more than a matter of wording. Trump owns a company - one he hasn't been involved in the day to day operation of for over six years. Even if he signed off on the final form of some of those documents, he was probably never involved in the detailed preparation. and certainly not filing away of records. It makes sense that the AG needs to go to the company for the information.
You do know that is a lie, since he explicitly talked about that company, and how he knew all about how valuable it was.

How was Trump supposed to know which documents the N.Y.A.G. would demand he produce?

Yeah those documents that were shredded or flushed down a toilet were just not needed right?

Yeah those documents that were shredded or flushed down a toilet were just not needed right?
How do you know these documents "were shredded or flushed down a toilet"?

Where is the evidence that Trump deliberately destroyed these documents?

You do know that is a lie, since he explicitly talked about that company, and how he knew all about how valuable it was.
I get that you are trying to gaslight here, but it's hard to tell what you are saying. You can talk about how valuable a company or a project is, and not be involved in the day to day operations, and certainly not record retention.

I get that you are trying to gaslight here, but it's hard to tell what you are saying. You can talk about how valuable a company or a project is, and not be involved in the day to day operations, and certainly not record retention.
Gaslight?? Let's look at support from my statement

From https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ny...umps-defense-financial-statements-2022-02-16/

there is this statemetn

Trump's attorneys repeatedly stated that he did not know enough to respond to allegations of inaccurate valuations. But the former president's five-page statement got into detail about possible discrepancies, implying that he had more knowledge than his lawyers said.

And of course

- New York's attorney general on Wednesday pounced on former President Donald Trump's defense of company's financial statements, saying the five-page statement Trump issued a day earlier contradicted a court filing by his attorneys.

"It is not unusual for parties to a legal proceeding to disagree about the facts," the attorney general's office wrote in a letter filed in New York state court. "But it is truly rare for a party to publicly disagree with statements submitted by his own attorneys in a signed pleading -- let alone one day after the pleading was filed."

This seems to be the case of 'accuse others of what you are guilty of yourself'

From https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ny...umps-defense-financial-statements-2022-02-16/

there is this statemetn

And of course

That's a paywalled article, and a statement from James. Her statements are all grandstanding

I was pointing to the previous article. And again - knowledge of a subject doesn't mean that Trump himself is responsible for record retention. It's a little hard, across all of these to go from the reporter's interpretations or clips rather than the original documents.

That's a paywalled article, and a statement from James. Her statements are all grandstanding

I was pointing to the previous article. And again - knowledge of a subject doesn't mean that Trump himself is responsible for record retention. It's a little hard, across all of these to go from the reporter's interpretations or clips rather than the original documents.
No, it's not. I certainly didn't get paywalled, and I have never gotten paywalled at refuters

Your attempt to deny facts is noted.

Trump should simply say the documents which the AG seeks cannot be found.

Which he did:

Trump also said that subject to his objections ’he would not produce any documents” responsive to the subpoena” because his lawyer said that none of the documents could be found, the filing said. (from the CNBC article)

Yeah, because any criminal can just claim they can't find documents when asked to by a judge and the judge has to just accept that and forget it.

What the Hell? Reuters doesn't have a paywall. That isn't a paywalled article. Why did you make that up?

there is this statemetn

And of course

Notice, the AG did not quote what specific allegation in relation to which Trump had pled lack of knowledge or information about, and she claims that his generalized statement about the matter somehow "implies" that he had more knowledge than he stated in his pleadings. In an answer to a complaint, the party answers very specifically the exact allegation made, and the precise wording matters. So, we can't know if there is an actual contradiction if neither the AG nor the reporter reporting on the topic bothers to tell us what the specific allegations which were allegedly contradicted were.

This seems so unfair. There are so many other criminals to go after, why go after this one? Witch hunt!

What the Hell? Reuters doesn't have a paywall. That isn't a paywalled article. Why did you make that up?
Apparently they do. They limit the number of articles you can view without registering.

1649425935812.png

Yeah, because any criminal can just claim they can't find documents when asked to by a judge and the judge has to just accept that and forget it.
That's not the issue here. And no, the judge doesn't have to 'just accept it'. The judge will make the AG to to the correct parties for the records though. Attorneys are responsible for accuracy in their filings.

Again (and this is according to the article in the OP - I haven't read the filing) - James is asking Trump {personally) for financial records related to properties owned and managed by the Trump Organization (the business). Trump's attorney's are saying that he doesn't personally maintain any of these documents - she needs to subpoena the company.

Back
Top Bottom