• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York AG Says Trump University Was ‘Straight Up Fr

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
NOTE: Article title shortened.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on Thursday took aim at the now-defunct Trump University, which has been accused of being a scam.

“In New York, we have laws against business fraud, we have laws against consumer fraud,” Schneiderman said in an interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos on “Good Morning America.” “We have a law against running an illegal, unlicensed university. This never was a university. The fraud started with the name of the organization, and you can’t just go around saying this is the George Stephanopoulos Law Firm/Hospital/University without actually qualifying and registering, so it was really a fraud from beginning to end.”

Trump University, an unaccredited for-profit company launched by presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump in 2005, offered courses in real estate and investment. Documents unsealed by a federal judge earlier this week pertaining to a lawsuit against the venture revealed how its salespeople were told to deliberately mislead potential customers, manipulate their emotions and ignore their concerns about parting ways with, in some cases, tens of thousands of dollars.

“It’s fraud. This is just straight up fraud. It’s like selling people something you say is a Mercedes and it turns out to be a Volkswagen,” Schneiderman added in a separate interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “And even if some people say, ‘Well, I actually kind of like the Volkswagen,’ it’s still fraud, ‘cause it’s not a Mercedes. This is not a university.”

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman Says Trump University Was 'Straight Up Fraud'

If there's one thing NYS does not mess around with these days, it's fraud.

Wellllllllllllll there was this little banking crisis a few years ago, built on similar fraud, and yet how many have been thrown in jail.. hell even investigated/charged by anyone?

Not much the state could have done about that. That was fully under the purview of the SEC, which failed miserably.

I saw that interview. The AG also said that the trial probably wouldn't start until after the election in November. But I think there might be other state AG that are also taking this case to trial. In California I think he's being charged with racketeering, fraud and false advertising.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why he stopped funding his own campaign? He might need the money to pay back all those people he defrauded out of their 401ks.

There has been a ton of fraud in for profit universities and trade schools, which the government long tolerated with barely a whimper. Also I get rich scheme invites often land in my mailbox, so lets not pretend that Trump U is unusual. It would have been nice had he not done this sleazy business though, sometimes he goes too far in keeping up his self image as a hustler.

It's like Christmas every day with the Donald. What next will fall out of his bag of tricks?

In June 2010, "Trump University" changed its name to "The Trump Entrepreneur Initiative."[1]

grasp at those straws.

TRUMP 2016, buckle up.

Not much the state could have done about that. That was fully under the purview of the SEC, which failed miserably.

Elliot Spitzer might claim otherwise. His efforts against fraud on Wall Street earned him their anger. So much so they saw to it he was seduced by a beautiful woman.

I commend Schneiderman, but actions speak louder than words. My guess is neither Trump nor Clinton will be indicted for their many misdeeds.

Anyone who would attend an unaccredited so called "university" just to be awarded a certificate of completion is as gullible as can be. If they actually learn something useful then fine, but having participated in that activity means very little to the outside world.

Let the chips fall where they may on Trump U, and from where I sit it smells to high heaven. At least I hope that's what I'm smelling.

But ya know what was funny in a WTF kind of way?
The other morning Schneiderman had an appearance on MOJO and in an earlier promo for his appearance Willie Geist mentioned that he (Schneiderman) has been accused of taking a donation from one of the complainants in the Trump case.
Then minutes later Schneiderman came on and nobody asked him about it.
haha WTF.

There has been a ton of fraud in for profit universities and trade schools, which the government long tolerated with barely a whimper. Also I get rich scheme invites often land in my mailbox, so lets not pretend that Trump U is unusual. It would have been nice had he not done this sleazy business though, sometimes he goes too far in keeping up his self image as a hustler.

His image as a hustler is well deserved, but hey, don't let that stop your support. People like you will forgive Trump regardless of anything he does. Trump's supporters are no better than Trump himself, just a little dumber.

In June 2010, "Trump University" changed its name to "The Trump Entrepreneur Initiative."[1]

So it's alright to cheat people if you have the correct name?

His image as a hustler is well deserved, but hey, don't let that stop your support. People like you will forgive Trump regardless of anything he does. Trump's supporters are no better than Trump himself, just a little dumber.

Because I have learned in life that desperate times often require desperate measures.

I am fine with rolling the dice with Trump.

He is the best play on the table.

Seriously.

Last edited:
Because I have learned in life that desperate times often require desperate measures.

I am fine with rolling the dice with Trump.

He is the best play on the table.

Seriously.

To some voters I guess supporting a bigot like Trump falls in line with there beliefs. My wife is Mexican, we both hate Trump with a passion. Hopefully we will see the Hispanic vote this November sink Trump's hopes and save this country from ruin.

To some voters I guess supporting a bigot like Trump falls in line with there beliefs. My wife is Mexican, we both hate Trump with a passion. Hopefully we will see the Hispanic vote this November sink Trump's hopes and save this country from ruin.

I am pretty sure Trump will do better with Hispanics than Romney did.

We will know soon enough.

Well, since the only republican candidate since 1980 who did worse than Romney with hispanics was Dole you're not setting the bar very high.

You post demonstrates that hope really is one of humanity's most enduring qualities.

You post demonstrates that hope really is one of humanity's most enduring qualities.

When what you are doing is not working do something else, anything else.

It is time for a change.

Maybe it will be good

Maybe not.

Gotta try.

Well, since the only republican candidate since 1980 who did worse than Romney with hispanics was Dole you're not setting the bar very high.

If you listen to some this is going to be like when 96% of the blacks voted for Obama.

It will not be close to that, of that I am sure.

I expect 30%+.

Presidential. This is the best America can come up with? Trump or Clinton ferfvcksakes. God help us all.

Back
Top Bottom