• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York’s COVID surge is back — and so is its mask mandate

Hamish Howl

Horrible Bastard
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

NEW YORK (AP) — Facing a cold-weather surge in COVID-19 infections, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Friday that masks will be required in all indoor public places unless the businesses or venues implement a vaccine requirement.

Hochul said the decision to reinstitute a mask mandate was based on a rising number of cases and hospitalizations, which has been especially pronounced in parts of upstate New York.
New York enacted a mask mandate at the beginning of the pandemic in April 2020 that ended in June 2021 for vaccinated individuals. The new mask mandate applies to both patrons and staff and will be in effect from Monday to Jan. 15, after which the state will reevaluate.

“We’re entering a time of uncertainty and we could either plateau here or our cases could get out of control,” Hochul warned at a public appearance in New York City.
New York joins several states with similar indoor mask mandates, including Washington, Oregon, Illinois, New Mexico, Nevada and Hawaii.

People keep telling me this is over. But wishful thinking isn't reality.

I totally expected it, particularly after the TG holiday. I said that the TG holiday would be a stress point (as well xmas).

The bump we are seeing isn't nearly as bad as last year. But, it's there. From where I am, most people were wearing masks indoors anyway.

I totally expected it, particularly after the TG holiday. I said that the TG holiday would be a stress point (as well xmas).

The bump we are seeing isn't nearly as bad as last year. But, it's there. From where I am, most people were wearing masks indoors anyway.

Here, it's about 50/50 in the grocery store, etc.

The places that require vaccination ID or masks have been a bit of a revenue generator for the city. People throw tantrums, we cite them for misdemeanor disorderly conduct and they get a big fat fine.

We'll have to see how this goes until January. The good thing is this year the surge didn't start as early as last year, but what we don't know is how high the case and hospitalization rate will get. I heard on the radio today that Gov. Hochul is calling in the state NG to help in hospitals that are short staffed and experiencing a surge in new admissions. The vaccination drive is starting across the river in my current state, but no new restrictions yet. People have still been wearing masks indoors in larger numbers than I thought once restrictions were eased.

Here, it's about 50/50 in the grocery store, etc.

The places that require vaccination ID or masks have been a bit of a revenue generator for the city. People throw tantrums, we cite them for misdemeanor disorderly conduct and they get a big fat fine.
A local auction house which I had stopped frequenting because it's owner had a sign that said 'We are not following the mask rules), plus he started putting a whole bunch of 'Trump 2024' signs up just had a big rant about NYS fining him 60K. I can't feel sympathy for him, since he WAS warned.

A local auction house which I had stopped frequenting because it's owner had a sign that said 'We are not following the mask rules), plus he started putting a whole bunch of 'Trump 2024' signs up just had a big rant about NYS fining him 60K. I can't feel sympathy for him, since he WAS warned.

The disorderly conduct thing bangs you up for $2500 and 6 months at the county farm. However, if there's no violence involved, it's usually reduced to $500-$1000 and no jail time (aside from booking and arraignment).

Covid is endemic and will never go away. The problem is people are brainwashed by spineless governments and pseudo-science quacks, and so they keep supporting lockdowns and travel restrictions even though these measures dont work. Voluntary vaccination with added education should be the way going forward.

Covid is endemic and will never go away. The problem is people are brainwashed by spineless governments and pseudo-science quacks, and so they keep supporting lockdowns and travel restrictions even though these measures dont work. Voluntary vaccination with added education should be the way going forward.

Or we could just load the pressure on until people just go get the vaccination.

Or we could just load the pressure on until people just go get the vaccination.
Its not gonna work because mandates are unconstitutional and are heavy handed. Educate people and let them decide on their own.

Its not gonna work because mandates are unconstitutional and are heavy handed. Educate people and let them decide on their own.

State level mandates are constitutional, and they're already starting back up again.

No vaccine card, no mask, you can pretty much stay at home.

State level mandates are constitutional, and they're already starting back up again.

No vaccine card, no mask, you can pretty much stay at home.
Well if you want riots and conflict, that would be the way to go.

Covid has about a 98% survivability rate regardless of vaccination status so the best thing to do is live with it.

Omicron is like getting a cold. The sky isn't falling, why are you liberals being histrionic about this?

New York isn't the entire United States.

You should look at what is happening in your own state.

For example, in my state, this is what my governor says...

RYAN WARNER, CPR: I'm going to finish this line of questioning by invoking the voice of a healthcare worker. One comment we got on Twitter from a nurse who asked not to be identified because she says she has been harassed online by people who blame health care workers for the pandemic.

"Ask the governor why I'm sitting in a Denver-county gym that is full and I'm literally the only one wearing a mask. This, after approximately 470 days working on a Covid unit. Mask mandate now."

She wants the full faith and credit of a statewide mandate. You have said that vaccines make masks less relevant, but public health officials talk about the “Swiss cheese” model to fighting COVID, which is that no one solution is a silver bullet, and masks and vaccines ought to go hand in hand. Before we move on to another topic, I want you to speak directly to her, exhausted in a COVID unit.

GOV. JARED POLIS: Well, thank you to all of our health care heroes. This has been an extraordinary two years. We support you. We have your back. We're doing everything we can to add hospital beds, if needed; and augment the staff — FEMA staff, in some cases — so folks can take their breaks and take their days off. She sounds like she has some hostile people who Tweet at her or blame her. That's not how most Coloradans feel. I want to make sure she knows that most Coloradans have a profound sense of gratitude for the work of our health care workers.

RYAN WARNER, CPR: It's lovely of you to celebrate a health care worker, but if you will address the meat of her concern, which is if you are going to do everything in your power, make masks mandatory statewide.

GOV. JARED POLIS: That's the kinda thing I didn't hesitate to do in the emergency. The emergency is over. You know, public health [officials] don’t get to tell people what to wear; that's just not their job.

Public health [officials] would say to always wear a mask because it decreases flu and decreases [other airborne illnesses]. But that's not something that you require; you don't tell people what to wear.

You don't tell people to wear a jacket when they go out in winter and force them to. If they get frostbite, it's their own darn fault. If you haven't been vaccinated, that's your choice. I respect that. But it's your fault when you're in the hospital with COVID.

I feel sorry for the people of New York...that they are living under such an authoritarian state government. For me...this pandemic is over.

Lockdowns do work. Britain got to a point of no new deaths last year. Then the idiotic decision was made to ease restrictions prematurely and rates of death and infections rocketed.

This is why when Trump wins again in 2024 some politicians are going to have to be jailed for the mask mandates, clear civil rights violation.

Lockdowns do work. Britain got to a point of no new deaths last year. Then the idiotic decision was made to ease restrictions prematurely and rates of death and infections rocketed.
Zero Covid is not realistic. It’s far better to have some Covid deaths then be under medical fascism

Prematurely?

How much longer would have satisfied you?

Until the virus was kept under control, as was the case until restrictions were lifted.
Yeah, did you ever demand full fascism until the flu was “under control”

You don’t even know what “under control” means or even if controlling it is possible.

Of course though. The truth is you don’t actually care if the virus is under control, most leftists are social malcontents who love hurting other people.

This is why when Trump wins again in 2024 some politicians are going to have to be jailed for the mask mandates, clear civil rights violation.
Is that your wet dream; another four years of incompetent 'government' by a sociopath thief, fraudster, serial liar and racist moron? Why would you support such a crook, or are those criminal traits perfectly acceptable attributes in your leaders, in your opinion?

"Medical fascism", vaccination, social distancing, masks, is what has prevented even more deaths. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
^^^

Look, all this guy says is “deaths” but he doesn’t actually care about deaths. This is about control. He’s literally talking just like a Nazi, German propaganda constantly referred to Jews as filthy carriers of disease anx their control was necessary on a public health basis

Back
Top Bottom