• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New World of Warcraft Patch 4.0.1

or the one mob that you needed for your quest spawned only once every 6 freakin days and there were always 20-30 people camped trying to kill it.

Yeah, those are the quests I drop right away. LOL

or the one mob that you needed for your quest spawned only once every 6 freakin days and there were always 20-30 people camped trying to kill it.

HAHAHA, that reminds me of getting my racial gear in FF XI. First off, FF XI wasn't on a 24-hour cycle, meaning its days and nights did not coincide with our own. There were maybe 2 or so days in a regular day or something like that. There are areas you go to in order to kill mobs and try to find chests and the chests could have a piece of a pattern you can take to an NPC in town who would make your race specific gear. Humans (which I was) had race specific gear which was geared towards magical attributes; which was great because I was a black mage/white mage (BTW, subjobs were the best thing ever). At certain times you could go to these areas and kill mobs looking for a chest. So first off, you had to look at the time converter to see what time you could get the chests was in real time. Then you got a group together and went in (couldn't be soloed). And then you ran around with everyone else trying to get mobs before they were ganked looking for the piece of pattern to get a piece of the gear made. It was a pain in the ass.

BTW, did they ever do anything about training mobs to zone? I remember that one a lot. You finally get your party together, you go out to a place to kill mobs and grind out some levels. Just doing your thing. And then you'll hear over general chat (or read rather) "TRAIN TO ZONE!". And you high tailed it out of the zone. If not, you'd get caught by the train. Which meant that something went wrong with someone else's party and they either got adds or someone died and they were running to zone out so they didn't die (you lost XP for dying and could level down). By the time they would get to the zone, they would have a long train of mobs behind them (mobs will chase you till you leave the zone). As soon as they zone out and they lost their aggro on those people, they would head back to their normal spots in the map, but would aggro on anyone on the way back there. So everyone would have to clear out of the zone or be swamped by a crap load of mobs. Ahhh the good ol' days.

HAHAHA, that reminds me of getting my racial gear in FF XI. First off, FF XI wasn't on a 24-hour cycle, meaning its days and nights did not coincide with our own. There were maybe 2 or so days in a regular day or something like that. There are areas you go to in order to kill mobs and try to find chests and the chests could have a piece of a pattern you can take to an NPC in town who would make your race specific gear. Humans (which I was) had race specific gear which was geared towards magical attributes; which was great because I was a black mage/white mage (BTW, subjobs were the best thing ever). At certain times you could go to these areas and kill mobs looking for a chest. So first off, you had to look at the time converter to see what time you could get the chests was in real time. Then you got a group together and went in (couldn't be soloed). And then you ran around with everyone else trying to get mobs before they were ganked looking for the piece of pattern to get a piece of the gear made. It was a pain in the ass.

BTW, did they ever do anything about training mobs to zone? I remember that one a lot. You finally get your party together, you go out to a place to kill mobs and grind out some levels. Just doing your thing. And then you'll hear over general chat (or read rather) "TRAIN TO ZONE!". And you high tailed it out of the zone. If not, you'd get caught by the train. Which meant that something went wrong with someone else's party and they either got adds or someone died and they were running to zone out so they didn't die (you lost XP for dying and could level down). By the time they would get to the zone, they would have a long train of mobs behind them (mobs will chase you till you leave the zone). As soon as they zone out and they lost their aggro on those people, they would head back to their normal spots in the map, but would aggro on anyone on the way back there. So everyone would have to clear out of the zone or be swamped by a crap load of mobs. Ahhh the good ol' days.

Don't know about EQ, haven't played that one in about 5 years (still remember those infamous trains in blackburrow). it is virtually impossible to "train" anyone in EQ2. once a mob aggros on an individual the encounter gets locked and no one else can attack or be attacked by said mob. if the mob kills the player then it returns to its starting point. about the only way to get trained is if someone pulls a group and then you just happen to be in aggro range when they return "home", the mobs will not aggro enroute. this also prevents some retarded ass 12 y/o from running in at the last minute and kill stealing you. hated that about EQ

Last edited:

Ragefire FTW!

Ragefire FTW!

I forget the name of the mob, but it was for the ranger epic weapon quest and the damn thing literally had a 72 hour spawn cycle and it always seemed like it popped at 2-3 a.m. and there would still be a dozen people camping him.

Goddamnit!!! I just saw the patch notes and I am pissed. It may actually be enough to make me quit playing WoW. You can't fine tune and personalize your character's talents anymore. You're forced to put 31 points in ONE talent tree. That ****ing blows big time. My shadow priesty relies on talents from other trees to balance her out. Ditto for my hunter. And my mage!!

Goddamnit!!! I just saw the patch notes and I am pissed. It may actually be enough to make me quit playing WoW. You can't fine tune and personalize your character's talents anymore. You're forced to put 31 points in ONE talent tree. That ****ing blows big time. My shadow priesty relies on talents from other trees to balance her out. Ditto for my hunter. And my mage!!

come on back to the dark side. :lamo or you could try FF XIV. was at my son's place yesterday and he had it going. said it was getting better as far as target density and leveling. one thing, they charge you a base rate (~$9/mo) and then ~$3/mo per character, so if you have 2 toons going you are paying more per month than you do for WoW or EQ2. However, the chracter class is more fluid. it is based on the type gear you equip. so you can adjust the class of your toon by changing gear. looks kinda intersting but I currently don't have the time or $$$ to start playing another online RPG

Just give it a try. I was pretty cranky about it too, because I loved building hybrid specs, but the trees are completely different now. It's a bit fun, and Shadow is still VERY viable (and scary) :)

You don't normally max out your talent tree anyways?

I know for a Shaman I love the change. Granted, I won't fully love it till the expansion comes out and I can actually hit 85 so I have more points for my other tree's...but then again I'm viewing this patch as essentially a "delevel" and not expecting to be at the pinnacle of what I want.

They've seemed to add in more interesting talents or utility type talents, or made ones that you basically had to take a bit more interesting to me. I guess it does kill leveling builds though that focused in two seperate tree's rather than maxing out a tree.

As to the ease of it, I will say one of my biggest peeves with WOW and probalby any MMO is how there is no real surprising. The notion of "tactics" to me is just kind of "eh" because to me, part of the fun of tactics is figuring otu tactics. But that doesn't happen, people just go on and read the strat for the boss. Part of the fun to me would be characters being varied and yet the DPS or Healing counts get so detailed to the number that everyone in a class becomes pretty much carbon copies.

I will say, after years upon years of playing on a persistant world on NWN.

Give me an MMO that is not quite as vast of a world, maybe not have all the bells and whistles or a limit to how many people can get into the instances or whatever else, but hire a staff of individuals to act as "Dungeon Masters" and give them robust and thurough controls for NPC's, monsters, and the environment.

Having quests occur that aren't automated or necessarily easily repeatable but are unique and react live. Have stories that could be occuring simultaneously to scripted things. Have encounters that can actually react to you. Have situations where you can solve an encounter without necessarily fighting something nor following the exact scripted alternative.

Hell, charge $25 a month instead of $15 a month for that to cover the costs of hiring people to spend their days doing it and I would gladly pay for it.

come on back to the dark side. :lamo or you could try FF XIV. was at my son's place yesterday and he had it going. said it was getting better as far as target density and leveling. one thing, they charge you a base rate (~$9/mo) and then ~$3/mo per character, so if you have 2 toons going you are paying more per month than you do for WoW or EQ2. However, the chracter class is more fluid. it is based on the type gear you equip. so you can adjust the class of your toon by changing gear. looks kinda intersting but I currently don't have the time or $$$ to start playing another online RPG
LOL Honestly not sure my laptop can handle it. My current laptop was an emergency, lower cost replacement for my now defunct powerhouse laptop. And my powerhouse laptop had a hard time with EQ2.

Just give it a try. I was pretty cranky about it too, because I loved building hybrid specs, but the trees are completely different now. It's a bit fun, and Shadow is still VERY viable (and scary) :)
To be honest, I haven't actually gone into the game to see those specific changes. I just downloaded the patch and read the notes and then got all pissy. :lol:

You don't normally max out your talent tree anyways?
Not always, just depends. I solo. So I spec my characters for soloing. Whether or not I max out a tree really depends on the character. However, regardless of what the end result may be when I reach my level max, I NEVER put all of my points in one tree while I am leveling. And that's what really irks me about the change. This is *especially* bad for my mage that I am leveling. And my hunter, for that matter. Hell, even my warlock and shammy. Anything that I'm leveling and then going to solo, it's going to bite.

I know for a Shaman I love the change. Granted, I won't fully love it till the expansion comes out and I can actually hit 85 so I have more points for my other tree's...but then again I'm viewing this patch as essentially a "delevel" and not expecting to be at the pinnacle of what I want.
But it's the leveling that it's going to affect the most. I have a handful of characters that I enjoy just leveling, and they are all currently level 40. This seriously hurts my solo leveling ability.

They've seemed to add in more interesting talents or utility type talents, or made ones that you basically had to take a bit more interesting to me. I guess it does kill leveling builds though that focused in two seperate tree's rather than maxing out a tree.
I've never had a leveling build that put all points into one tree.

As to the ease of it, I will say one of my biggest peeves with WOW and probalby any MMO is how there is no real surprising. The notion of "tactics" to me is just kind of "eh" because to me, part of the fun of tactics is figuring otu tactics. But that doesn't happen, people just go on and read the strat for the boss. Part of the fun to me would be characters being varied and yet the DPS or Healing counts get so detailed to the number that everyone in a class becomes pretty much carbon copies.

WoW used to be more detailed, but they've made it so idiot proof now it's getting to the point that there's no distinction between the classes.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, as I was typing that I was realizing my thoughts may not apply to leveling.

I've only leveled through the game once, and now am at end game and been for about a year, so my head just doens't go back to leveling quickly. I can see that being very annoying for that.

LOL Honestly not sure my laptop can handle it. My current laptop was an emergency, lower cost replacement for my now defunct powerhouse laptop. And my powerhouse laptop had a hard time with EQ2.

To be honest, I haven't actually gone into the game to see those specific changes. I just downloaded the patch and read the notes and then got all pissy. :lol:

Not always, just depends. I solo. So I spec my characters for soloing. Whether or not I max out a tree really depends on the character. However, regardless of what the end result may be when I reach my level max, I NEVER put all of my points in one tree while I am leveling. And that's what really irks me about the change. This is *especially* bad for my mage that I am leveling. And my hunter, for that matter. Hell, even my warlock and shammy. Anything that I'm leveling and then going to solo, it's going to bite.

But it's the leveling that it's going to affect the most. I have a handful of characters that I enjoy just leveling, and they are all currently level 40. This seriously hurts my solo leveling ability.

I've never had a leveling build that put all points into one tree.

WoW used to be more detailed, but they've made it so idiot proof now it's getting to the point that there's no distinction between the classes.

Trust me, I level more than I'm sure is healthy for the average person. (I take the word alt-o-holic to a whole new plateau.) So far, the changes have been very positive. I'm actively playing a Hunter in the 40's right now and LOVE the new trees. :)

Im loving my new warr fury build. Im doing more damage and got a new move too! yayness. DPS is up as well. Stat prioritization is a little different, I do miss arp.

Trust me, I level more than I'm sure is healthy for the average person. (I take the word alt-o-holic to a whole new plateau.) So far, the changes have been very positive. I'm actively playing a Hunter in the 40's right now and LOVE the new trees. :)

I looked at the trees and I don't see how they're helpful at all. I use talents across all trees, so basically my hunter, my warlock, and especially my mage are gimped. I can't play them the way *I* want to play them. I can't get more mana pool, expend less mana on spells AND get a boost to my frost. It's retarded. I cannot believe they took that much customizing away from us without giving us a damn thing in return.

I looked at the trees and I don't see how they're helpful at all. I use talents across all trees, so basically my hunter, my warlock, and especially my mage are gimped. I can't play them the way *I* want to play them. I can't get more mana pool, expend less mana on spells AND get a boost to my frost. It's retarded. I cannot believe they took that much customizing away from us without giving us a damn thing in return.

Wait 'till you see your mage crits, then you'll know what you got in return. :mrgreen:

What exactly happened to warlocks? I mean, how do the shards work now? I started looking over the changes they made, it's maybe viable that they turned out more DPS or raid DPS with a demo build. But it's really strange everything that went down with that. As for having to pick a tree, do you? I looked at it and it seemed like you could look at the talent trees without having to select a specific tree. But I didn't play with anything.

My friend said paladins are actually fun to play again. I may have to restart my account after I get far enough into my thesis.

I really like it, the old stuff seems overcombobulated to an unnecessary degree now. As in there was no real advantage.

Back
Top Bottom