• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New wave of Covid cases hits U.S. officials, rattles Washington - NBC

I am not condoning Pelosis behavior or the behavior of any other maskhole. If masks are required they should be worn.
However I am not interested in requiring masks forever. I am sorry that the immunocompromised are at higher risk. But at this point the data supports cutting back on the mandates imo.
Thank you for the discussion.

Masks mostly protect others from you and only protect you from unmasked others on a limited basis. This has only been explained eight hundred and eleventy bajillion times on this website.
Masks do not protect others from you. This is based on a faulty premise.

Masks do not protect others from you. This is based on a faulty premise.
I'm sure that surgeons reading this claim would have a chuckle. Enjoy being willfully incorrect.

Did you intend to give five good reasons why we should not be wearing masks now?
I have the reasons that the mask mandates are being relaxed.
It’s not a political trick.

I'm confused. Do masks work or don't they?
Shhhhh.....

The OP is a conservative pretending to be a progressive and he starts these kind of threads on purpose to create the controversy and always make the democrats look bad. He's really good at it.

Not true. People who give a shit about others want to wear them.

No one wants there to be a situation where we have to wear them; a vast difference.
In that respect, I would say that Democrats are the ones who tend to wear them in such situations. Republicans are the ones who believe they ought to have the right to spread a contagious virus to others.

Ask Fauci. He knows all about the efficacy of masks after he told the people no need to wear masks. There's a reason he is the most highly paid government employee in the nation. He knows how to bend with the wind. Just like Biden.

The question is not a binary. "Do seatbelts work or don't they?" Of course seatbelts work, but that doesn't mean they provide 100% protection. People keep asking the question like it's a binary and they end up like Trix here.
I had one on and still caught a horrible respiratory virus this year, as did my husband, and that almost killed him.
I'm not talking about covid either. So you tell me what good they are? They say you can catch respiratory viruses through your eyes. We wore masks, and still got sick.
"I wore a seatbelt, but I still got hurt in a car accident! So you tell me what good they are?"

Reactions: lwf
Ask Fauci. He knows all about the efficacy of masks after he told the people no need to wear masks. There's a reason he is the most highly paid government employee in the nation. He knows how to bend with the wind. Just like Biden.
I understood everything Fauci said. It's strange to me how Republicans don't seem to.

The question is not a binary. "Do seatbelts work or don't they?" Of course seatbelts work, but that doesn't mean they provide 100% protection. People keep asking the question like it's a binary and they end up like Trix here.

"I wore a seatbelt, but I still got hurt in a car accident! So you tell me what good they are?"

Did you not understand my point? One can get infected through the eyes with covid and other very contagious respiratory illness.

The mask I wear, that the CDC say helps, would help you from getting sick. Btw, I always wore a mask. So save the preaching...

I understood everything Fauci said. It's strange to me how Republicans don't seem to.
You are a good citizen if you went along with all of Fauci's flip-flopping over the past two years. Someone had to buy all of his confusing messages.
I am so glad I can now go into a store and see people's faces and their smiles and realize the vaccines are working to keep people safe.
And, our plan to go to Europe soon is still on and looks like it will happen next month. And it is all a function of people getting their shots and realizing life must go on with a new and dangerous virus. Life is getting better.

And get this, I am a Republican who went along with all the rules and did not bitch too much about mask mandates. Isn't that strange to a lot of people who enjoy denigrating Conservatives?

Did you not understand my point? One can get infected through the eyes with covid and other very contagious respiratory illness.
One can die in a car crash despite a seatbelt, and yet the seatbelt objectively makes the driver safer. What point do you think you are making?
The mask I wear, that the CDC say helps, would help you from getting sick. Btw, I always wore a mask. So save the preaching...
Preaching? I merely presented my description of a logical failing you were making. You can still get sick with a mask, but it is less likely to happen. This is a fact and it is not altered by your personal experiences or beliefs.

You are a good citizen if you went along with all of Fauci's flip-flopping over the past two years. Someone had to buy all of his confusing messages.
I am so glad I can now go into a store and see people's faces and their smiles and realize the vaccines are working to keep people safe.
And, our plan to go to Europe soon is still on and looks like it will happen next month. And it is all a function of people getting their shots and realizing life must go on with a new and dangerous virus. Life is getting better.

And get this, I am a Republican who went along with all the rules and did not bitch too much about mask mandates. Isn't that strange to a lot of people who enjoy denigrating Conservatives?
I understood all of it.

In the very beginning, he advised that people don't go out and buy up the limited supply of N95 masks, because they were needed for healthcare workers. Doesn't that make sense? It's called "triage."
Later, once the extreme contagiousness of the virus became clear, cloth masks were recommended. Not once did he or any health professional promise that they were 100% effective at protecting mask wearers from COVID-19. He clearly stated that the mandate was primarily designed to protect other people from people who didn't yet know they were infected. In other words, the person wearing the mask was doing so to protect others from themselves. But as protection goes for the mask wearer, they were certainly better than nothing.
Later still, once a significant majority of people were vaccinated and the case numbers dropped, the mask mandate was lifted, as the protection offered by the vaccines and natural immunity were enough to not require mask mandates.

None of this is confusing to me.

One can die in a car crash despite a seatbelt, and yet the seatbelt objectively makes the driver safer. What point do you think you are making?

Preaching? I merely presented my description of a logical failing you were making. You can still get sick with a mask, but it is less likely to happen. This is a fact and it is not altered by your personal experiences or beliefs.

You're grasping at straws as usual.
You have no logical point to convey.

People who got sick from very contagious respiratory infections got them with or without masking. Tiny little droplets easily go through masks and most likely those who were masked caught it by ocular fluid contamination. Airborn or rubbing their eyes.

I had one on and still caught a horrible respiratory virus this year, as did my husband, and that almost killed him.
I'm not talking about covid either. So you tell me what good they are? They say you can catch respiratory viruses through your eyes. We wore masks, and still got sick.
That's true. I asked my wife's oncologist why she was wearing a face shield (many doctors are) and she said it was to protect her from us.

You're grasping at straws as usual.
You have no logical point to convey.

People who got sick from very contagious respiratory infections got them with or without masking. Tiny little droplets easily go through masks and most likely those who were masked caught it by ocular fluid contamination. Airborn or rubbing their eyes.
I've been continually surprised by the sheer number of people who can't seem to grasp this. I've spent most of my life thinking people had better risk assessment skills than they do.

I think the problem is my education and work experience. Pilots are formally educated and trained in risk assessment and risk mitigation. 80% of our job is in decision making, the physical act of flying a plane from point A to point B really is not hard. Every day we look for risks to identify them and take effort to reduce the risks where able. The risk of a flight will never be zero, but we put major effort in getting as close to zero as we can, and that's why aviation has such a phenomenal safety record.

Turns out, many people in the general public simply do not possess even the most basic version of this skill. They wear a seatbelt or a mask because they were told to do so, not because they've made any sort of risk assessment regarding the choice. Look at Trix's response here, it barely is a response to the point I've made, and multiple posts will go by like this. The "risk is still present but it is reduced" argument doesn't even appear to register. She's gone straight back to binary thought. You can still get sick with a mask on, that's the only thought she seems to express. Not even an acknowledgement of the argument I am making, much less a denial or rebuttal.

I've been continually surprised by the sheer number of people who can't seem to grasp this. I've spent most of my life thinking people had better risk assessment skills than they do.

I think the problem is my education and work experience. Pilots are formally educated and trained in risk assessment and risk mitigation. 80% of our job is in decision making, the physical act of flying a plane from point A to point B really is not hard. Every day we look for risks to identify them and take effort to reduce the risks where able. The risk of a flight will never be zero, but we put major effort in getting as close to zero as we can, and that's why aviation has such a phenomenal safety record.

Turns out, many people in the general public simply do not possess even the most basic version of this skill. They wear a seatbelt or a mask because they were told to do so, not because they've made any sort of risk assessment regarding the choice. Look at Trix's response here, it barely is a response to the point I've made, and multiple posts will go by like this. The "risk is still present but it is reduced" argument doesn't even appear to register. She's gone straight back to binary thought. You can still get sick with a mask on, that's the only thought she seems to express. Not even an acknowledgement of the argument I am making, much less a denial or rebuttal.
How ironic ...
My point was and remains, one can catch very contagious respiratory viruses though the eyes.
Why are you having such difficulty comprehending a simple point?

That's true. I asked my wife's oncologist why she was wearing a face shield (many doctors are) and she said it was to protect her from us.

When I visited hubby in the hospital, I was required to wear a face shield, gloves, a mask, and a throw away gown. When I left the room, I was required to remove it. When I entered I was required to put a new, all of the above, on. It wasn't done to protect me as it was being done to protect vulnerable patients in the hospital from me bringing it outside my husband's room to others. My husband was already in isolation so he wasn't bringing it to them. He could have infected me or those treating him so it was mandatory for all to put on the entire garb even if it was a pita. Incidentally, I never caught the virus so we figure my husband caught what I had for a couple of weeks just before he fell ill, and caught it at home.
So pathetic that people do not understand what your wife's oncologist was saying.

How ironic ...
My point was and remains, one can catch very contagious respiratory viruses though the eyes.
Why are you having such difficulty comprehending a simple point?
I have no trouble understanding that point. Infection can occur this way, therefore, what, exactly? "Therefore masks don't work" appears to be your argument based on past "questions" about why people would wear a mask.

Back
Top Bottom