• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Utah Zika Case Baffles Health Officials

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
WASHINGTON — In another puzzling twist to the Zika epidemic, the Utah Department of Health on Monday reported the diagnosis of a new case of the virus that did not appear to have been contracted through either of the known sources of transmission: a mosquito bite or sexual contact.

The patient, who has fully recovered, was a “family contact” who helped care for an older man who had become infected with the virus after traveling abroad. That man, from Salt Lake County, died in June. He also had other ailments, and it was unclear whether the virus had contributed to his death

New Utah Zika Case Baffles Health Officials - NYTimes.com

First American zika case where pregnancy and sexual contact were ruled out. Could this mean the virus is transmissible in ways we never realized?
Thoughts?

New Utah Zika Case Baffles Health Officials - NYTimes.com

First American zika case where pregnancy and sexual contact were ruled out. Could this mean the virus is transmissible in ways we never realized?
Thoughts?

We will find out with time, but it would not seem impossible. If we allow the Olympics to go on, I read that the period that it will take to have more incidence here and so gain more scientific insight will be greatly reduced.

We will find out with time, but it would not seem impossible. If we allow the Olympics to go on, I read that the period that it will take to have more incidence here and so gain more scientific insight will be greatly reduced.

I'm pretty sure that the Olympics will go on, in Rio. It would probably cost a fortune to move it at this point.

I'm pretty sure that the Olympics will go on, in Rio. It would probably cost a fortune to move it at this point.

That was similar to the argument that was often used against quarantine of HIV and AIDS patients at the beginning of the epidemic. Tens of millions of deaths were probably the result.

That was similar to the argument that was often used against quarantine of HIV and AIDS patients at the beginning of the epidemic. Tens of millions of deaths were probably the result.

We mostly react to things that are already problems, rather than trying an approach that prevents problems, HIV in the 80s being a good example.

Zika is no different. We'll wait it out to see what happens.

We mostly react to things that are already problems, rather than trying an approach that prevents problems, HIV in the 80s being a good example.

Zika is no different. We'll wait it out to see what happens.

I'll do the popcorn.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama is sending our Olympic team to Brazil for the sole purpose of using them as guinea pigs for a Zika Virus transmission study. He truly hates American people.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama is sending our Olympic team to Brazil for the sole purpose of using them as guinea pigs for a Zika Virus transmission study. He truly hates American people.

The Russians might look back and thank their previous doping that their athletes weren't allowed to go.

Back
Top Bottom