• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New to a political forum

Tomoko

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Hello, my name is Tomoko..most who know me call me "Tomo" I moved here to the US from Japan almost 8 months ago as the company I work expand operations. I work for Takata Corporation as bookkeeper. It is still hard for me adjust and openly be social to western people here. Maybe this will help me. I know it is not healthy to spend time on internet all day but maybe some of you can help me.

I have always been intimidated to get involved with political discussions. I feel like I would not fit in and it make me scared, is this normal and how can I overcome it without feeling this way? I really want to. I know it sounds silly but I do.
msn_red_fox_smilies-13.gif

Welcome Tomoko! :)

If you are new to political discussions then I would say that the first thing you can do is just have a look around. Check out some discussions that are already in progress and take note of where people stand with different topics. Eventually you will want to start writing your own comments. I am sure you have some interesting opinions living as a foreigner in the United States, and from your upbringing in Japan!

Just keep in mind that this is also a debate site and even though people will agree with you, others will not. The best advice I can give you is to not take it personally. They are disagreeing with your opinion, they aren't judging your life. The moderators make sure people don't cross the line most of the time.

Try to ease into it. You're going to do just fine! :)

Hello, my name is Tomoko..most who know me call me "Tomo" I moved here to the US from Japan almost 8 months ago as the company I work expand operations. I work for Takata Corporation as bookkeeper. It is still hard for me adjust and openly be social to western people here. Maybe this will help me. I know it is not healthy to spend time on internet all day but maybe some of you can help me.

I have always been intimidated to get involved with political discussions. I feel like I would not fit in and it make me scared, is this normal and how can I overcome it without feeling this way? I really want to. I know it sounds silly but I do.

Welcome.

It can be quite intimidating and some people can be rude.
Just get involved in a discussion that interests you and state your opinion.

We have a good community here, so if you need anything, I'm sure most people would be willing to help you.

Not sure how old you are OR any knowledge you might have of American politics . However things have changed quite a bit in the last 40 years. Post Vietnam era. It's a lot nastier all around and the biggest factor in much of this is the fact that much of the Media no longer even tries to be objective. This began in earnest during Richard Nixon's time and it's gotten decidly worse. The 8 Clinton years also cemented these animosities into place.

I am 28 years old. Yes women in Japan are degraded all the time, You will soon hear me explain more about that in due time.. Here in the western world I'm not considered a 2nd class citizen. But my favorite word since living here is.. It just sounds so commanding and fun to say lol but i'll watch my mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! but you must admit that video is funny lol But now I know.

Doesn't that still need to be edited out?

So much for making a good introduction
pyong_raposa_fox-34.gif

Don't worry, Harry's one of the mean moderators. :mrgreen:
Most people on here are pretty good, but I do suggest avoiding the Middle East section of the forum.
But in context as the official DP Welcomer:

67112126-hullo-everyone-dpsockpuppet.jpg

Thanks. Now I feel a bit more comfortable.
msn_red_fox_smilies-18.gif

Awesome now I get to try and bust out some of my Japanese. Kon'nichiwa, o ai dekite kōeidesu.

Awesome now I get to try and bust out some of my Japanese. Kon'nichiwa, o ai dekite kōeidesu.

Dono yō ni sakkā shōnen ga okotte iru no ka? Watashi wa sakkā ga geida to omou

Young Asian woman...*swoon*!

Thanks for trying to get me to stay guys but I got my mind made up....This place just isn't for me..

Thanks for trying to get me to stay guys but I got my mind made up....This place just isn't for me..

Tomoko this place is for all of us. Kind of a sancutary for some members and a meeting place for others and a haven thats warm and wrought with passion and... lol tomoko it is what you want it to be! This place is a sanctury,both real and elusive that gives us shelter from life's
dutiful-woes ;and binds us to the affair at ,"Heart" and the task
of holding them together ,with trust.
A trust that grows like the buds soon to leaf: After the serenity
of a winters peaceful slumber.
And like a road that stretches beyond our experiences and back,
This,"Place" is for us and- binding our trust.

Back
Top Bottom